• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    I really enjoy shooting and am about to purchase my first handgun, but...I want it more to take apart and check out than I do to shoot.

The nerdy technical side of me is excited. :)

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Dont buy a glock then... 4 basic components, the engineer in you would be bored with its simple perfection in a few minutes. :p

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    reverse engineer this for me.. :)

worlds-smallest-revolver.jpg

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    Based on just the technical side I would suggest a 1911. Those are kind of fun to take apart and really study it. I actually hate 1911s as a modern firearm option because I think there are just far better handguns in our day and age. But it was certainly a marval of invention and I totally respect it for its service, and that I enjoy disassembling it, so maybe you will too.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Buy a Glock, a 1911, and a pocket watch.
    Shoot the guns and play with the watch. If your inner nerd really needs satisfied, buy some schematics and go read them in your Mom's basement. :):

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A 1911 is a nerd/engineers dream. If you love to tinker as I do this is the piece for you. Get a RIA and make it your own with the available up-dates and you will have no more in it than buying an off the shelf mid-range piece. I have a buddy that did this and the gun is an decent shooter.

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    Come on, guys! Where is your imagination?
    I like the idea of starting with a 1911, but why not go all out and try a Ruger Mark II/III?

And no fair watching a video first - you need to do it by just reading the manual. Let us know how that works out for you :-)

---
    GB!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I like the idea of starting with a 1911, but why not go all out and try a Ruger Mark II/III?

And no fair watching a video first - you need to do it by just reading the manual. Let us know how that works out for you :-)

---
    GB!

:)I haven't taken mine apart yet(mkII), but I am not convinced it is as much the nightmare that people talk about. But I will see......:n00b:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    What would be a good 22 hand gun to start with ?

Depends and you will get a lot of personal opinions based on what people own and like.

So here is what I like:

Ruger Single Six for a single action revolver
    S&W Model 17/617 for a double action revolver
    Ruger MKII/III for a semi-auto pistol
    Browning Buckmark for a semi-auto pistol

I had a Buckmark a long time ago and a Single Six-convertible. Don't miss the Buckmark(really like my MKII), but I wish I had the Single Six back. My 617 is my favorite .22 handgun of all time. If it wasn't a 6-shot model I would use it in competition events. It is sweet!!:)

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Part of the fun (for me) is tearing a new gun apart to clean/lube and 'tinker' before I go to shoot it for the first time.

Althoug, to be fair, when I make a purchasing decision, in depth-ed-ness (is that a word?) of teardown isn't one of the factors in purchasing as much as it is a side effect :D

68_F100

Expert
    Rating - 93.9%
    31   2   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    North Salem
    Go get an HK usp or HK45. The are a modified linkless Browning design. They have lots of cool parts and are not hard to take apart or reassemble. Plus you can buy different parts and build any one of the different function variants. They are also one of the most reliable handguns ever made also.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    If you're gonna hide in your Mom's basement ...

.... get a Ma-Deuce and work out with IT! You'll soon work past the 90-pound weakling status with THAT! EBG
    I like the idea of starting with a 1911, but why not go all out and try a Ruger Mark II/III? Let us know how that works out for you :-) --GB!

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    Part of the fun (for me) is tearing a new gun apart to clean/lube and 'tinker' before I go to shoot it for the first time.

Althoug, to be fair, when I make a purchasing decision, in depth-ed-ness (is that a word?) of teardown isn't one of the factors in purchasing as much as it is a side effect :D

It has become an issue for me.
    Example: I got rid of my 9mm Hi-point carbine after 5 years of use because it required too many tools to take it apart. Lots of hex nuts and other screws had to be removed in order to disassemble. I like to keep all my guns very clean and very wet, just like my women (insert poor joke here). The Hi-point carbine just became a pain the butt to take apart fully, way too much time vs a more user friendly design. I'd like to keep it as tool-less as possible, maybe the tip of a cartridge as a tool where needed, but hex wrenches? No thanks.

Top Bottom