How old were you when you had your first kid?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I was worried that this was the point of your thread. Listen, you're going to have a kid or twelve in due time. Stressing about it will only lengthen that time. Like I said, I had my first kid at twenty, but I didn't tell you my wife had a five and two year old. Her husband had died, we hit it off, and the rest is history. Yay for me, three kids by twenty, right? One of the harder things we had to work through was the fact that we didn't get the time to get to really know each other and enjoy each others company, we had three children that demanded that time. In twenty years of marriage, we've never had a honeymoon, we haven't even had a vacation away from our kids. As they got older, my wife and I realized we knew every detail about our kids, but we hardly knew each other which led to a lot of stress between the two of us.

All I'm saying is, there's two ways to look at your situation and stress isn't going to give you the best outcome. I hope I'm not sounding like a jerk, because I'm not meaning to.

Thanks for the words, Roadie. And you didn't sound like a jerk at all.

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    24, I did a lot of growing up really fast when she came along. Didn't realize how immature I was up until that point in my life.

Last edited:

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    20 because the woman I fell in love with had a 2 year old. The Sperm doner as we call him fled when he found out he got his prom date pregnant. His loss. after a year we tried to have more. We went thru infertility treatments for 4 years. After almost giving up on our marriage, we just gave up on trying to have more children. Infertility sucks. Well about a year later My wife got pregnant! And again 2 years after that birth, And again 3 years after that and number last came 4 years later. We both got fixed after that one. And and I adopted her first when she was 7 ( we had to track the looser down and get his permission) and gave her a proper last name and a proper father.
    Point is that we were so worried about having children that it almost destroyed our young marriage. We let go and it happened.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Sadly I've never fathered any children. Well there was that one time in the Navy when we went down to Tijuana and.... ummm... er... well. Nope, no kids.

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    35 now and working on our first. No idea how we will afford it. But times running out. I have kind of had to be convinced it was an idea at all. So far, no one has been able to give me a good reason for it. World is so screwed up and we are broke. The numbers just don't add up. While at dinner with my dad and some cousins (who had their newborn with them) my wife asked them to tell me a reason it's so wonderful having a kid. Oops backfire. None of them could. Even my own father. That was all I needed to know.

Jason

Last edited:

B6240

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    South Central IN
    24 then the second at 26 best two accomplishments of my life. Good luck like has been said don't stress it will happen for you when the time is right.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest

I was an idiot, and a slow learner, had 2 more.

I should have stayed single, no kids............and just filled up gun safes with cool stuff :)

It's a roll of the dice, health and attitude wise, with kids (and spouses). You have a lot less control than you think.
    The responsibility lasts forever.

It might be great, it might suck.................it is all very risky.

Too many IMHO think it'll always end up like a Hallmark made for TV movie.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    I was 26 when our first son was born, wife was 21. I was 30 when our daughter was born and passed away, and 34 when our second son was born. Having two son's 8 years apart (now 20 and 12) is almost like having two separate families. The daughter passing away in the middle sucked, sucked then, still sucks. You have plenty of time. There are pros and cons to having kids early in life and the same for later in life.

Dirty Steve

Top Bottom