How old were you when you got your first....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How old were you when you got your first job?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Job :)::)::)::)::):

The 8th grade education theme got me thinking. I had my first steady job when I was 13. We lived down the road from a local golf course and I started caddying nearly every evening and every weekend when I was in 7th grade, in 1977, (yeah that long ago) and I've never been without employment since.

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    First steady job? Maybe 15 or so. Worked at a local burger joint. Rode my bike 7 miles each way, rain or shine, day or night.

Before that, I cut grass in the summer and "pet sit" for folks in the neighborhood when they vacationed. Started that in jr. high, so maybe 12 or 13?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Think I was about 6th or 7th grade. Started cutting the neighbor's grass with Dad's push mower and weed eater. I would push it and carry the weed eater, or pull it behind my bike.

Made about $100 cash a week. That was about 1991-92. Did that all the way through high school.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    First paying gig, outside babysitting and lawn mowing, selling cotton candy at the Shrine Circus. Later had a job helping a bookstore move. Both short term jobs.

First regular job was as a dishwasher/bus boy at the Cork 'N Cleaver in Evansville. Worked up to head cook and prep.

woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    Used to detassel corn and bail hay starting when I was 12. Did that until I was 16. Had back surgery, and then started working for the local computer repair shop until I left for college.

Worked at K's Merchandise and K-Mart while in college. And my first real job was after I graduated at 23.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Started mowing lawns at age 11,got my first real job at 15 at a local grocery store.

Almost forgot I was a substitute paperboy the year before I started mowing,so 10 yo actualy.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I was 13 when I first started working.

I'm 29 years old now, and I'm STILL working here...

Working? Really? :D

Is making mix tapes for Mom Phillys to dance to work?

donnie_baker_-_myjobsucks.jpg

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Newspaper delivery at 14.

Before that, mowing and trimming grass, and shoveling snow.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Same as ted...Mowing, shoveling, paper route, taking the trash out for some elderly folks around me. Washing their cars and windows. Building or re-building Mini-bikes and go-karts as well as bicycles. I made a lot of money fixing all the bikes in the area. turning 20" bikes into sting-rays was very profitable at that time. Spoke lacing 3 speed assembly's from British bikes into the 20" bikes was a sweet deal as well. Ahh, those were the days. Cash was king.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Nine years old when I started delivering the Indianapolis News six days a week. Thirteen when I started pumping gas and washing cars at the local ENCO station. All gas stations were full service back then. I do not remember how much I made on the paper route but I started at fifty cents an hour at the gas station and got a raise to sixty five cents after my first year.

MrsXtremeVel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Babysat from the age of 11-16. ( my last babysitting job, the kids gave me Chicken Pox...and they were brats! ) No more $1.00 an hour for me! Got a " real " job making $3.45 an hour in a convenience store until I graduated and finished college. $3.45 you say??? That was big bucks in the 80's for a teenager! Ten cents above minimum wage! :rockwoot: :D

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Greenwood
    Work

Started real young for my grandpa stacking hay on wagons and in the barn. Then feeding a guys cattle every day, I remember I was 14 and he sent me to another farm and I told him I didn't have a license and he said you know how to drive if there is a problem tell them to call me. Lol Then I figured out I had started a trend to follow many years ahead,get up get to work and make some body rich! :draw:

Nacho Man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    Hamilton County
    Working construction the day after graduating hs. I got a job as a rent a cop too, lol. Too bad they didnt have smart phones back then, it would have been a plessure to work security.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    First paying gig, outside babysitting and lawn mowing, selling cotton candy at the Shrine Circus. Later had a job helping a bookstore move. Both short term jobs.

First regular job was as a dishwasher/bus boy at the Cork 'N Cleaver in Evansville. Worked up to head cook and prep.

I found a picture of Snorko working as head cook!

headhunter.jpg

Top Bottom