• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • THE_STIG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    So I was wondering at what age should I start teaching my boys to fire a rifle? My oldest is 8 now and I was tnking of starting him with a .22 LR. Any thoughts?

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    my boys started at 4 with the red ryders. Now they are 5 and 6 and sit in my lap and yank on the triggers of Ar's and AK's.

I would trust them now with a single shot 22 under direct supervision.

I leave them alone to shoot the bb guns at pop cans with no problems.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    With direct supervision, now would be a good time. We started our daughter on a cricket a few years ago and she's 11 now. Still has her cricket and can hit a bullseye from 30 yards away (at least) with iron sites.. :)

If possible, give them a reactive target because kids love that. Maybe a little competition against dad too would be fun. :)

dhnorris

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    hidden in a wall of mud
    depends on the kid. I would trust my boy with alot. Frist rifle should be a single shot so you can stand behind him with the 22's in your pocket. colibri's shorts longs and then long rifle. The occasional stinger for good behavior

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I started mine off with a soft air guns, then bb/pellet guns, then 22's. You want to teach him/her the fundamentals and safety before they just get out there blastin.

RJW

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Boone County
    I teach shooting to Scouts. The Cubs start with the BB-guns at 7. I start regular scouts out shooting when they are 12, 22 and shotgun.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I started each of my boys out with a Daisy Buck at age five, a Red Ryder as soon as their arms grew long enough to shoot it and they go shooting with me whenever they want. They've all fired .22's and I started my ten year old hunting with a shotgun this year.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I started my son with an airsoft pistol at 3 and a .22 at 4.

If they have the maturity to understand firearm safety (and YOU actually know how to teach firearm safety) age is not really a factor.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It depends on the child and I would hesitate to even estimate an appropriate age. I met a 7-year-old once who was entirely competent and responsible to carry a pistol in a holster around his father's property (he's an adult now). I've met kids who were not ready for the responsibility to even handle a firearm as teenagers. Some adults are in the latter category and always will be.

I would more concerned if the kid can make the link between actions and consequences than chronological age. Some people go their whole life without making that connection.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    My boy got his first rifle, a Cricket .22LR when he was four, a few months before his 5th birthday. Obviously he shot under close supervision!

Here's his first trip to the range:

Shooting7-17-04_0212.jpg

Shooting7-17-04_0231_1.jpg

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i was carried in a backpack from birth hunting with my father. when i was 3 i got to carry a toy gun, 4 i got to carry a bb gun, 6 i got to shoot the gun he carried, 7 i got to carry a real gun no ammo, 8 i carried a gun with ammo with him, i think around 11-12 i carried a gun by myself.

as far as targets i sat in his lap shooting a 22 at 4 or 5. personally i dont think there is a to young age, the question is how much supervision do they need at x age. i think if the kid is in your lap and they are shooting a 22 and are not scared by it let them shoot

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I would more concerned if the kid can make the link between actions and consequences than chronological age. Some people go their whole life without making that connection.

Ayoob's book on kids and guns gives the taking care of family pets as an indicator they are ready to begin shooting. If they can show they understand the importance of feeding and medical care, etc. Seems to me that would be a tough one to judge against, especially if it's a "chore." But it makes a good point.

When he's ready, I intend to start my boy (now almost 2, so it'll be a while) right on the .22 rifle. No BBs. Toys come after safety is properly learned; safety doesn't come after playing with toy guns. (just my 2c) First couple of times will be off a table and sandbags to minimize movement. I've ROd enough practical shooting newbs running with pistols I'm not worried about ensuring he keeps a long gun on a bench pointed in the right direction.

I figure we'll spend a few weeks dryfiring at the house. When he can consistently demonstrate safe handling w/o coaching, we'll head to grandpa's where I've already started stockpiling bowling pins and clay pigeons.

Between now and then I want to invest in a .22 silencer, so bulky hearing pro will be one less distraction.

He dryfired my .45 the other night.... he just had to do what daddy was doing. and I don't want to make guns seem "forbidden." So I held it while he pushed the trigger, and he clapped when the hammer fell...

-rvb

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    My boy had his first .410 at 6. The most important thing though is just to make sure they understand that people aren't cartoons and don't come back when shot. You know all that gun safety stuff. You can genuinely tell if they get it. The biggest key to having a safe house is to not make it all a mystery to them where they will want to check it out with you not around. I don't even think any of my 4 even notice my guns anymore. They are so used to them. Just like anything else in the house.

Top Bottom