• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GarandTeed

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    I try to clean my guns every time I shoot them. Sometimes life gets in the way and the get used twice between cleanings. I like the peace of mind of knowing my stuff is cleaned and lubricated if I ever NEED them.

As far as what the gun needs to run properly, this depends on the gun design, the ammunition you are using and the environment it is used in.

I could probably shoot my gas piston LWRC virtually it's entire life running hand loads on a warm sunny day without ever cleaning it. I wouldn't try that with an SKS running corrosive primers in the rain though. ;)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    Once a month and after every range trip for my EDC. My rifles tend to sit for a while so I'll at least run a few patches down the barrels even if I only shoot a few rounds. They get torn down a couple times a year.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I hate cleaning guns. I find it easier just to shoot them for a while and then trade them off for a different model. New guns are always so clean and shiney.

derrickgoins

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    If I'm shooting lead - then after every training run / range trip. If shooting FMJ or JHP, then probably every 2nd or 3rd run which equates to about every 400-600 or so rounds.

91kcolg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2013
    I usually do a quick clean, lube and inspection after a trip to the range. I don't spend a lot of time cleaning them.
    My wife said she is not going to clean her Glock 19 at all. She wants to see if it will continue to function as well as mine. My 19 gets a little more attention due to being my EDC.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I enjoy cleaning mine. After most every shooting and maybe once or twice a year for ones I didn't shoot, just to re oil. I've got a lever 22 I use about once a week, I don't clean it every time, but probably 4x a year.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Once had a VEPR 7.62, chromed barrel, so I figured it was good. Did not think the ammo was corrosive, but after about two months uncleaned, lo and behold, rust on the crown.

Now I clean after every range visit.

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I'm one of those weird guys that cleans after every trip to the range and if it's been a few months I will whip them down with a bit of oil on a rag. But my idea of cleaning is not running a brush down the barrel I will do oil patch and depending on the firearm I will use bore cleaner but that is just my mosin

Top Bottom