• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    More guns are worn out from cleaning than from shooting. Centerfire rifles would be an exception but otherwise I very seldom clean a barrel and usually just spray an open action with carb cleaner and then coat with FP10. Match guns get cleaned once a year and carry guns get lint wiped off as needed. Lube often, clean seldom.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Detail strip/clean/polish when I buy em

Field strip and clean after shooting

Cleaning guns is my second favorite thing to do with them.

Edit: I know some people's definition of a cleaning is a lot different than mine. For me, a cleaning is putting a patch on a rod, putting CLP on there, running it down the bore and repeating until no black on patch. Then wipe down gun after field strip with CLP or rem oil, dab a tiny spot of grease on high wear areas, wipe down with clean rag and done.

The brushes and solvents only come out for when I buy a used gun from someone who hasn't cleaned it since they bought it which for the most part has been my experience with most of the used guns I've bought here.

Everyone's got their own opinion on cleaning procedures. My background as a mechanic tells me any dirt in a load bearing assembly causes accelerated wear. Therefore my guns are 99% spotless 100% of the time.

Last edited:

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I clean my gun at least once a day. Soap and water, then rinse. I don't usually clean it right after using it, though if my wife is feeling especially nice she might wipe it off with a warm washcloth after I'm done using it.

My rifles, however, not nearly as often.

Top Bottom