• ...and so much more!
  • How often do you clean your firearms?

• Total voters

scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    I typically clean after a few times to the range and the ones that do not get used on a regular basis still get cleaned and lubricated to keep everything ready to go .

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I am anal about cleaning my firearms after shooting, so after every use. I strip my EDC weekly and clean the lint out of it as well. They don't need it but I still do it. Now I don't scrub them for hours or anything, but at least clean the bore and wipe them off.

bradrob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2014
    Hamilton County
    I run a bore snake through my pistols and wipe down good after every trip to the range. I try to strip down and do a good cleaning after 500 rounds or so.

30calmachinegunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Westfield
    Can I get someone who's anal about cleaning to come up, try the gun out then clean it? I hate cleaning and I even have a small ultrasonic cleaner (6"x12") for a lot of it.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I voted after every use, but that is very dependent on the gun in question, and how much I have shot it. My carry guns, I keep clean, never let them go more than a magazine through one before it gets detail striped and cleaned. Not because I think it will malfunction because of dirt, but I dont like to take chances with something I depend on to keep me safe. My Long guns dont typically get the stripped down and detailed treatment unless we are talking about my target rifle, and that one I keep pristine. Otherwise, its a squirt of lube before I take it out and shoot just for GP, unless its just filthy, and I cant stand looking at it like that.

Revolvers are a bit more to tear down completely, so they dont usually get the detailed clean that my 1911s get,, but I am pretty fanatical about getting the lead out and keeping the carbon deposits off of them where it can be easily seen.

My 22s might get a shot of Rem oil and a wipe off the bolt face from time to time (to keep FTFs low), but only get stripped and cleaned if they start running a little off.

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    I get the mentality that guns are tools but I like to keep my tools clean and organized. If I muck up a wrench on a brake job I wipe it down and hang it back on the peg it goes on. For me guns are more than a tool, they represent superb engineering, craftsmanship and in the case of my old revolvers, history. So I take much pride in cleaning them after every use. I am a fan of SuperQGC quick gun cleaner.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Wait we're supposed to clean them? I thought hoppes was just gun cologne.
    [h=2]No. 9 Air Freshener[/h] The scent that’s carved its way into our sporting psyches through the deer camps, dens and hunting lodges of America for more than 107 years can now go anywhere you do.

• Concentrated scent true to Hoppe's
    • No. 9 formula
    • Hang it in your home, office, vehicle or camp

hoppes_air_freshner_1.png

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Gun owners are like car owners. Some simply regard cars as necessities, don't care what they look like and don't worry about them until they break. Then there are the car owners that take extra time to keep their cars looking like new and take care of what they own.

that might be a valid "pride of ownership" analogy.... IF you wash your car and change it's oil after every time it leaves the driveway...

-rvb

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I typically clean after each use but will skip the cleaning in a couple of circumstances. If I put less than 10 rounds through a carry gun that gets shot often, I'll skip cleaning until the next range trip. If the gun is regularly shot, I may skimp on cleaning and only pull a boresnake through it sometimes. Anything that's going back into the safe, goes back clean though, no matter how many rounds were shot.

I actually enjoy cleaning my guns. If I don't shoot something, it still gets an occasional clean and lube just because I like having cleaned and lubed weapons.

Top Bottom