how often are you questioned when OCing?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Another newbie question. I would prefer to OC more often since it is more comfortable to me but don't need or want the hassle of being questioned. I don't really care if someone wants to stare or whisper so long as they don't get on their high horse and confront me. I'm not afraid of the confrontation I just don't want to waste the time. Education is not my goal other than maybe being an good example of a responsible gun owner.

So for you guys who OC frequently how often do you get stopped or questioned by someone in public while OCing?

Never.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I have only been carrying for a few weeks, so my experience is limited. However, I have had no issues yet, and only a couple comments. Nothing negative. You may have to explain yourself to family/friends, but that should be pretty easily handled.

If asked to leave, leave. Be sure to tell us so we can avoid doing business there. Always be polite, and be confident. If you dont act like nothing is out of the norm, most people wont even pick up on it.

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Probably once a month I have a curious person ask me about it - "Is that a Glock?", "Do you mind if I ask you why you carry a gun?" "Is it legal to carry a gun like that?"

I've never had any negative experience ever. If someone asks in a courteous way about your firearm, you should take the time to answer them in the same manner. If they are trying to berate you over it, simply ignore them, or what I would prefer to do - smile at them - that really gets to them for some reason.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Questioned? Never.

Struck up a conversation? Only a few times. Either about carrying, the LTCH process, or the kind of gun I have.

99.99% no one says a peep.

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    I've been 50/50 OC/CC for the last 2-3 years.

Rude Comments: 1
    Questions: None
    Conversations: none
    LEO interactions: None
    Cute girls ran off by open carry: Numerous :(

The rude comment was from a lady behind the counter at a Jiffy gas station at 19th and Margret in TH.

rush176

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Thanks everyone for your input. I recently got my LTCH and so far I have only CC. I have been using my PM9 since it fits in my pocket so easily but I am more comfortable shooting my M&P9 so when it starts getting colder outside I was planning on OCing. I don't anticipate any big problems but I figure that is what this forum is made for to exchange experiences with fellow gun owners and maybe avoid some problems. So again Thanks INGO! :ingo:

Corporal D

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    SE Side
    When I lived in VA (which is an open-carry state) I OC'd for about 5 months waiting on my CCW. I had a couple in walmart once tell me I wasn't allowed to have a gun in public, to which I simply replied, yes sir I am, have a good evening.

Another time I was at Chipotle, and since they serve beer and margaritas there I had to open carry (CCW in VA is not legal in any place you can purchase and consume alcohol) and I had two of the city's SWAT officers approach me, one just asked me if it was a Kimber, and said it was a nice gun, he had one also, and we talked for a bit.

Other than that a few whispers and stares, but not enough to make me feel uncomfortable.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    never by LEO but have had people ask me about it. There was this one guy a gas station clerk that asked if anyone gives me crap about it so I told him no not until you asked. lol He said he doesn't carry a "sidearm" as he calls it. I asked why not? he kind of trailed off. I said have a good day and left.

Eulogy32

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Carmel, Indiana
    As long as you're comfortable getting bewildered glances from all the sheep, not many people will actually have the testicular fortitude to say anything. Most of the time, if someone does say something, it's because they're a gun person too.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Rarely, never by the police. The conversations have always been pleasant. However, if you are not willing to risk being bothered, or even hassled, I commend CC to you. Being pestered is a "risk" of choosing to OC.

Top Bottom