• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I just remembered a funny story that ticked me off at the time it happened. At a Indy 1500 over the summer, I found a holster I wanted to buy, advertised as $15.00. I told the lady I'd take it for that price.

When I handed her the $15.00 she informed me that my total was $16.05. She had included sales tax.

I reached back into my wallet and gave her another $1.00. Being that I didn't have any more singles or change on me, I asked "Do you have a nickel?"

She b**chily chided me, "Oh, you mean like I pay it for you? Well sure, I guess I'll just have to do that won't I??"

I should note that no other items I've purchased at any gun shows required a cash register, or adding in the 7% sales tax. Gun show items and flea markets generally include tax, since usually people don't want to be dishing out exact change at a busy event like that. At least that has been my experience. I've only bought items like knives, range bags, holsters, etc from gun shows - no firearms yet.

Maybe I was wrong. But man I have never gotten such a rotten thanks for my business, all over a nickel.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I saw a guy open an ammo box to check the ammo out and the seller YELLED and cussed at him.

Everyone looking at the guys products turned and walked away.

Astrocreep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indy
    Amazing how bad some people are at selling stuff.

I would have gone looking for a different holster at a different table.
    Why be rude when your competition is RIGHT OVER THERE?

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Bad customer service, especially in a flea market type situation, always blows my mind. And +1 on the never having tax added at something like that.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    Been there, done that. I too would of probably walked away.
    I understand that it's not always easy to deal with "all types" of people throught the day, but that is the job she choose.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Better to include the tax and have an even amount.

In defense of people asking for exact change when an amount comes up odd like $16.05 I have found out the hard way (getting chewed out by my wife when she closes out the month for Richards Guns). I am great at saying “forget the fifteen cents” and when my wife balances everything out at the end of the month she is off X amount and has to go back and check all her figures.

Like some people suggested I often try to come up with a even amount like $190 and work backwards by dividing that amount by 107 and coming up with a before tax figure which is usually some odd figure. Makes it easy for the customer and keeps me out of hot water with the boss. People in business in the State of Indiana are required to collect sales tax on most items so you can’t fault the seller; they should make it easier for the buyers by reducing the odd amounts so making change is kept to a minimum.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Like some people suggested I often try to come up with a even amount like $190 and work backwards by dividing that amount by 107 and coming up with a before tax figure which is usually some odd figure. Makes it easy for the customer and keeps me out of hot water with the boss. People in business in the State of Indiana are required to collect sales tax on most items so you can’t fault the seller; they should make it easier for the buyers by reducing the odd amounts so making change is kept to a minimum.

This ^^^^, which implies forethought and consideration for customers. You actually put effort into running the numbers backwards as a convenience to your customers. I think the point is that we all know sales tax has to be collected from someone, and books have to be kept for business purposes. At an event such as the 1500 it is such a pain to come up with odd dollar amounts (especially loose change), so if the vendors put a little forethought (and work) into it on behalf of their customers, it can make things run a lot smoother and customers will be happier.

:twocents:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Like some people suggested I often try to come up with a even amount like $190 and work backwards by dividing that amount by 107 and coming up with a before tax figure which is usually some odd figure. Makes it easy for the customer and keeps me out of hot water with the boss.

This is what I was thinking most sellers do at trade shows. Mark the sign as $16.00, thereby making the cost of the item $14.95 and the tax to be $1.05.

That's just the nature of the beast. Its totally different inside a store, but at a trade show, we try to simplify with a little forethought.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side

This is what I was thinking most sellers do at trade shows. Mark the sign as $16.00, thereby making the cost of the item $14.95 and the tax to be $1.05.

That's just the nature of the beast. Its totally different inside a store, but at a trade show, we try to simplify with a little forethought.

that is easier said than done though. When we pack, I pull product off the wall of the store with prices already affixed to the item. With the number of products I sell, I don't have time to figure out and relabel everything. So I am one of those vendors that has a cash register and I charge tax on top of the price marked. If I lose a sale because of it I guess that's my loss. :dunno:
    I personally don't argue over a nickel here and there, Usually I have a nickel in my pocket that I can drop into the drawer to even it out. All vendors are different though.

inxs

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    If it was used and a "casual" sale the sales tax should be 0.00 Unless he had purchased it for resale. I've been noticing an awful lot of stuff of that nature at shows and flea markets- probably for extra profit. (In one case I know they don't have any kind of retail license....) Was it?

Top Bottom