• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Ammo that is. I had a situation at the house and evacuated my ammo out of the safe and dad was helping me get it out. He was like WTF!! I just buy ammo when i can find it on sale and just keep adding to the stockpile. Not sure exactly how much I had but it took several trips to the truck.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Yes I had room in the safe. 28 gun Cabinet. I'm still filling it up. I need and idea for ammo storage so I can open up the other side to more long guns in the future. Had at least 2500 rounds of .223, 300 9mm, 300 40sw, 3000 22, 300 20 guage game load and 280 243. Roughly. Ammo is like a magnet for me. I get my calculator out and always try and figure out the per shot price and try and keep that low! I need to start loading myself but that will come in time.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    There's likely 800-ish rounds of various calibers (4?) in my range bag. You know, just the basics for a quick trip to the range. :): The general ammo supply hasn't been inventoried recently. Likely time to go shopping. :D

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Yes I had room in the safe. 28 gun Cabinet. I'm still filling it up. I need and idea for ammo storage so I can open up the other side to more long guns in the future. Had at least 2500 rounds of .223, 300 9mm, 300 40sw, 3000 22, 300 20 guage game load and 280 243. Roughly. Ammo is like a magnet for me. I get my calculator out and always try and figure out the per shot price and try and keep that low! I need to start loading myself but that will come in time.

Rookie.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general_firearms_discussion/115325-moving_the_ammo_fort_sucks.html

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    As I was sorting through the rubble after I had my house fire, I knew the contents of my fire safe were cooked when there was a bullet hole in it, FROM THE INSIDE. So it got hot enough inside long enough to cook off a round inside the chamber of a pistol.

Now the new safe is inside a concrete bunker that is fireproof, so I don't worry about it, but keep in mind that bulk ammo in a safe is a potential bomb in a fire. If you need to lock ammo up to keep it away from little fingers then ammo cans or similar which are designed to store ammo are a better bet.

Having said that, if you can evacuate your ammo in a couple of trips, you don't have enough :D

Seriously though, I shoot a lot so I keep a lot of ammo on hand. If you only shoot once in a while then having enough ammo on hand to carry you through temporary shortages of a year or two is fine if you don't want to store larger quantities. For some folks that might be fewer than a thousand rounds of non-.22lr. As far as .22lr goes, there's no reason NOT to have lots of it around :rockwoot:

I judge "too much" as much more than you could reasonably expect to shoot in your lifetime. I shoot about $150 worth of ammo a month (and I reload so I don't buy much factory ammo) and my monthly shooting budget is $200 for ammo or components, so I am still accumulating. I have enough ammo for about 5-8 years of my normal shooting. Once I hit my 60s I'll stop buying as much and start shooting down my stock. If I have any left over when I am too old to shoot I'll sell it and help fund my nursing care :D

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Ehh you can never have enough ammo. I always buy some when I get the chance, and sadly don't get to shoot as much as I'd like. Although my family thinks I have too much. But they won't be thinking that when SHTF

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    Ehh you can never have enough ammo. I always buy some when I get the chance, and sadly don't get to shoot as much as I'd like. Although my family thinks I have too much. But they won't be thinking that when SHTF
    Do you even have a case of 223?.........if the ruskies invade you'll supply them nicely tho....:):

tmfinney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    New Castle
    You have more than one round! You are going to commit a violent crime because you are stockpiling. Please send me you information so I can alert the proper authorities.

Anyways, I always figured that you can never have enough ammo.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I have one magazine for each of my guns and only enough rounds to fill it. I figure in a SHTF scenario when I kill people I will run over there bodies and pick up all of their ammo. Just like in the video games I play to keep my shooting skills up. Think about it, one shooting video game that costs $60, but I can play everyday. While buying ammo and then driving to the range and paying for gas/range fees costs way more than Call Of Duty. Plus its always nice and warm or cool in my house, if I go outside I might get cold or sweat.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... Had at least 2500 rounds of .223, 300 9mm, 300 40sw, 3000 22, 300 20 guage game load and 280 243. ...

How much is enough. . . for what? Depends.

IMHO, however, you don't have enough yet. I'd recommend at LEAST 500 rounds per gun per caliber. Assuming you only have 1 gun in each 9/40/20ga/243, looks like your short in those calibers. If you have more than 1 gun in any of those calibers, your even more short stocked.

After you get to that point, 1,000 rnds per gun per caliber would be better.

Just as an example, I heard of a case in Chile, where after a recent earthquake, a man with a shotgun ended up using 2,000 rounds in just defensive "warning shots" during the post-quake civil unrest. Regardless of whether such use of ammo is appropriate here if/when/etc., it demonstrates how you can go through ammo pretty quickly.

Your stock could be a lifetime supply. Or, it could be a 1 hour supply on a really bad day. All depends.

Top Bottom