• ...and so much more!
  • singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    While negotiating for gun from a private seller (and this happens in gun stores also), the seller made the comment "and I have the box for the gun". His point was the price was justified because he had a box. At which point I asked what is the price without the box. Deal didn't happen. Why is having the box for the gun so important? Does it really add to the resale value?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    While negotiating for gun from a private seller (and this happens in gun stores also), the seller made the comment "and I have the box for the gun". His point was the price was justified because he had a box. At which point I asked what is the price without the box. Deal didn't happen. Why is having the box for the gun so important? Does it really add to the resale value?

My opinion is that boxes matter to collectors a lot more than they do to shooters.

Of course, some people fall into both categories, but everything has to be perfect and complete for a collector.

To me the only value in the box is to hold the gun, accessories, and paperwork until I get home.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Depends. Many people want the box and factory do dads. Suggests the gun was taken care of. Kind of like buying a car with the factory jack in the trunk and owners manual in the glove box. Doesn't mean a thing but people expect it to be there.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Certain boxes are valuable. For example the original box for a Colt Single Action Army, 2nd generation, can add hundreds of dollars to the value. Other boxes aren't worth much. Generally, I take the comment "I have the original box" to mean that the seller is a careful person and might have taken better than average care of the firearm.

It really is too broad of a question to give you a better answer. What type of firearm are we talking about?

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    To me, it's worth nothing. Just something that now needs a place to live if I were to keep it. It's like collectible toys, without the box it's no longer collectible apparently, though it is still a toy. Some people put great value in the cardboard shipping container. I don't get it.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    There are two primary reasons, IMHO.

First, for more collectable firearms (think Colt snake guns and older S&W revolvers), it is rarity. Let's say the total number of a particular model is X. The number of guns with the original boxes is less than X, making them rarer. A collector is going to want the most complete package in the best condition, so he will pay a premium.

For something common like a Gen 4 Glock, having the original case and accessories seems to give the impression the gun was better cared for. It also lends credence to statements like "one owner" or "safe queen".

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    To add to snorko's comments about a one owner gun, it is also a very good indication that the gun is not stolen.
    Stolen guns tend to never have the box.

As far as value, I recently sold this Colt Gold Cup box on gunbroker

Colt Gold Cup National Match Series 70 BOX ONLY : 1911 Parts at GunBroker.com

To my buyer the box was worth $225, but it is for a Colt Gold Cup 1911 made in 1979, so it has collector value.
    I personally want the box and all the factory goodies, in fact I expect them, if you are the original purchaser.
    After all, that's how you got the gun.

Last edited:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I bought a S&W 5946 at the 1500 a couple years ago which the dealer said included the box, etc. When we were finalizing the deal, I looked and the box, while correct for the model, was for a different gun - had the wrong serial number. It was a newer plastic case and not particularly collectable so I did not care that much but I got him to knock another $25.00 off for the error.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My dad used to say,
    "Something is worth exactly what you can get someone to give you for it, and not a penny more."

You could have a bar of gold, but if all you can get for it is a nickel, then guess what? That's what it's "worth" at that particular moment.
    On the other hand, if you had a handful of horse manure, and you can talk someone into giving you a million dollars for it, well, then, that handful of crap is worth a million dollars.

The term "worth" is very subjective, and means different things to different people.
    Ever heard the old adage,
    "One man's trash is another man's treasure"?

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    Depends. Many people want the box and factory do dads. Suggests the gun was taken care of. Kind of like buying a car with the factory jack in the trunk and owners manual in the glove box. Doesn't mean a thing but people expect it to be there.

I agree as stated above.

Also less likely to be stolen, and 'first owner'

Han shot first...

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I prefer to get the box. Why? Because I have a stack of them and I want to see if it will reach the ceiling. ;)

Actually, for the reasons already mentioned, the box makes it a bit easier to resell if it comes to that.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    As a collector, having the box does two things. First it is just one more original part as delivered.

The second reason, and really more important is that some boxes list what is inside, and for some firearms that could make the difference between a factory original and a home made fake. For instance, Beretta made a very short run for a specific seller of a two tone 92FS. I personally built a two tone 92FS and if was dishonest could try to sell it as one of the twenty ordered by the seller. Other than running the serial number, which for some firearms is easy, some impossible, having the box which is marked as one in that order is the only way to know that the pistol is in fact a rare production run as marked on the box with matching serial number.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I used the plastic case for my M&P to get it home, and now it lives in the closet. I'll go ahead and assume I would use it if my handgun didn't live loaded in a holster at all times, maybe if I ever get permission from the boss to buy another handgun it will live in a plastic case?

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    It's worth the knowledge of the care of someone took of the firearm. What that value is to you depends. To me, worthless.

Top Bottom