• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PwrCruz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Westside Indy
    I was wondering how much dog food would be enogh. I have 2 German Shepard pup's would like too know amount of dog food that I should keep on hand. currently try to keep about 120lbs on hand but they go thru 40lbs evey 3-4 weeks.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    For long term storage? You can pack this the same as human food(bulk items like rice). Use 5 gallon pails lined with Mylar and add oxygen absorbers.How ever due to the fat and oil content I would not count on it lasting packed more than 5 years.As far as how much.Depends really on how long you want the pets. I would pack at least as much as you have for yourself. If you have 6 months so should they. When your both out of food...

IndianaWoodsman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    East Central
    Nice thing about dogs (especially large dogs - i.e. shepard, husky, st.bernard, wolf, etc) is that they will eat meat. While it's not wise to use meat that you could use for survival to feed the hounds, it is possible to hunt specifically for your dog. I have a 5 month old husky-st. bernard-wolf mix that loves coon and beaver meat. I work part-time in the winter for a fur buyer so I get way more meat than I need . I didn't freeze any for later cause I didn't have the space but that would be a great option as long as we have electricity. If your dog doesn't like big chunks, find a hand-crank meat grinder at a flea-market or antique store. Grind the meat, fat and some bread, beans or veggies together to make something that it can eat.

Hghlndr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Kosciusko County
    I wish 40 ponds would last my dogs 3 weeks. I use to buy 40 pounds every 4 weeks, now with the new Husky I buy that every 2 weeks. By the way I have a 3 yr old mastiff and a 9 mth old husky.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I wish a 40 lbs bag lasted me even 2 weeks! I've got 3 labs. One is my sisters, one is my mom's, and the other is mine. I go through a 40 lb bag a week without a problem. That would get awful expensive for me to store up food for them for that long. They do good about hunting around the farm though. Plus if it was that bad I'd say let them eat all the cats but one, lol

PwrCruz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Westside Indy
    Wow some of you guy's are as bad as my brother his saying is "Never own a pet you can't eat in hard times!"
    Also my 2 GSD are growing and the 40lb bag is starting to last 3 instead of 4 weeks so I guess I will have to keep closer to 200lb of dog food for them.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    What? You want to feed your dogs in a shtf situtation? I plan on eating mine!

(JUST KIDDING PEOPLE...GEEZ)

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    This is something that I have thought about as I have two dogs. The simple answer is that what ever your dog eats per day, mulitplied by the number of days. I have one dog that would graze and the other dog chows down, but I usually just fill the bowl for each and call it good. I really need to talk to the vet to find out food needs, and measure out that amount for each dog. That way they will get the proper amount of nutrition and calories.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I have a old hound that lives at my place in the woods. He is always bringing up road kill or some small game he caught and eating it. He will not touch his dog food when he has something up in the yard. I never worry about him going hungry.

Just a old hound that wandered in one day about four years ago and never left. I tryed to run him off for about two weeks. He would run into the woods. Next time I looked out the window, there he is laying in the yard again. Just gave up and started leaving water and feed out for him. He is still out there, keeping the wildlife out of the garden and trash.

You can also learn to make your own dog food. When I was in England one of the farmers I knew would feed his dogs a mix he made up with the blood of the animals he butchered.

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    I go through 40 pounds of Iams chunks every 3 weeks for a Young 88# Bulldog/Mastiff & old 63# Boxer/Bulldog.

Meijer has them on sale every so often, for $30/bag instead of the usual $35/bag, and I buy as many as are on the shelves, & ask for rain-check for 6 more. The great thing is, that the "expiration" dates on these foods are over a year away ("01 JUN 10" on the oldest one), so now I stack 'em high in the garage corner & rotate them. (Will be putting them in basement for the summer so stays cooler)

I also place mouse-poison packs behind them under the wall edging trim-wood, so that if any mice get in the garage & are attracted to that corner for whatever reason, they'll regret it. :D

Another interesting source of LTS (F.D. raw beef) for the dogs, dehydrated & light-weight, can be found in some pet stores & online everywhere, is called
    Buckaroo Beef.
    Our dogs can't leave that stuff alone, practically swallowing their tongues over it!

web.jpg

Last edited:

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    I have 3 boxers..... I keep 200lbs of food at any givin time..... This is not incase SHTF. I do this incase I go broke...lol It has happened once B4. I bought a new rifle and BAM im broke... 2months latter I finally restock the dog food. :) No doggies ever went hungry. Or even got close.

brad81

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    under ground
    i have coon dogs and they eat a lot. buy your dog food by the ton you get better deals and u can sell some of what you dont need. it will last a long time in a dry place.

suby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Greenwood
    Hey here's a thought...check the calorie content of your dog food.

My pup was raised on Eukanuba (ew) which I am slowly weaning her off of (she's only 3.5mo). She needs 4 cups of this food per day.

The food I'm weaning her onto, Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural, has a much higher caloric content (not to mention being 1000033% better for the dog). She only needs 1.5 cups of this food per day to get the same amount of calories per day as she is on the Ewkanuba.

Earthborn is a INDIANA company headquarterd in Evansville...all the more reason to stop buying ****ty dog food.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    There are "human food" meals that you can make for dog's but you have to cook everything just right and not use spices and all. Look it up online, I can't remember what it is called.

For dog food if it was me I woulc get some stuff called Diamond. It is really cheap but not Alpo cheap. For the cost you can stock up on A LOT and put it in plastic containers. Avoid foods that have corn or byproducts in them. The first the ingredienets make up like 90% of the food. On the corn as a rule dog's can't digest it and it and the poop it out but for disaster food I would not care. Also make sure you have water for them.

For those that don't mind spending the $$$ but like to support companies in IN check out Eagle Pack. They are here in IN and have a really good all natural food line....... With the natural foods the dog poops less, it degreades into the ground faster and the pee does not burn the yard. No I don't work for them.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Hey here's a thought...check the calorie content of your dog food.

My pup was raised on Eukanuba (ew) which I am slowly weaning her off of (she's only 3.5mo). She needs 4 cups of this food per day.

The food I'm weaning her onto, Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural, has a much higher caloric content (not to mention being 1000033% better for the dog). She only needs 1.5 cups of this food per day to get the same amount of calories per day as she is on the Ewkanuba.

Earthborn is a INDIANA company headquarterd in Evansville...all the more reason to stop buying ****ty dog food.

I did the same with my dog but only cause i got sick of paying $45 a bag. Switched to dog chow and he defecated more often for the first couple weeks then regulated.

Is this Earthborn made by Pro-Pac? Thats the only dog food company I know of here. Used to live by it......sucks smelling dog food daily

Top Bottom