How much do you tell about your personal defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    Yeah im not going to draw a floor plan of my house with the location of the safes and such.
    But talking about some things is not a problem, some guys are maybe a bit too paranoid.
    Just use common sense.For me I wouldn't say anything online that I wouldn't tell a total stranger in the street.

I am guilt of telling more here than I should. I won't tell a stranger I carry. Only my friends that carry, my girlfriend and people on here know I carry. My other friends and even my own parents don't know I carry.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I am guilt of telling more here than I should. I won't tell a stranger I carry. Only my friends that carry, my girlfriend and people on here know I carry. My other friends and even my own parents don't know I carry.

Well for the guys that OC it's a different story.They are often stopped by stranger in the street who ask them what type of gun they carry.
    So telling online what kind of gun they carry and where/how they carr it is not a problem for them.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I really don't give a care about it. Im more concerned about someone seeing me unload a range bag, since they would know exactly where I live and could possibly know my schedule. Even still, I don't go out of my way to hide it. If someone is going to steal from me knowing that I have firearms they are likely to do it when I'm not home to shoot them, and in that case, they are all insured and it would be South Bend's finest problem to worry about. Besides, they are probably going to be more concerned with how to get my TV out of the front door than they are going to be trying to figure out the combination to my safe or how to get it unbolted from the slab below.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Nobody would like to believe they have compromised themselves. However, when you have thousands of posts a year, how often have you innocently tossed out personal info that could be used to dig up more?

Locations, vehicles, employment, school, INGO classifieds dealings, training, competition, other events, other forums, etc. etc. etc.

I know we are all ruff tough gun guys running over with Situational Awareness:laugh: but don't believe your cute user name alone will protect you. Nor will the bold Internet bravado that seems so abundant. When you are cased, you are cased. Everyone has some sort of a routine.

I think that those who make a living digging up :poop: could compromise you if they choose to look deep and tie two and two together. The living they make may not be an honest one.

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    As far as tracking you down goes, I worry more about the feds having that info. On the other hand there are so many gun owners and many with so much more than I have that it would take a long time before they ever got around to me.
    People on here gathering info? Well, most crooks wouldn't bother with that. Too much trouble and too many easy targets in their immediate locale. If they target you it will not be because of any forum.
    And as for people looking for you when the SHTF? They aren't going to travel miles on the off chance they might know who you are or can figure out where you live. Far too many easier targets in their own locale. They probably won't be able to any way. And if the internet or power grid goes down where are they going to get the info then?
    Worry far more about your neighbors knowing what you have than people on here!

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    My personality deflects demand that I embellish facts to such a degree that nothing I say can be taken as fact. Little do they know that most of what I say is a blatant falsehood.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Well for the guys that OC it's a different story...

Yes, but it's a sad sad story devoid of much real excitement.

I can't fathom the countless stealthy surprise counterattack opportunities I've missed out on since visibly armed citizens tend to be avoided completely by the majority of criminals. :(

But, hey... sometimes we get people that want to argue with us, so it's kinda worth it. :yesway:

:D

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    1849%20-%20balloons%20car%20missiles%20paranoia%20truck%20vehicles%20weapons.jpg

tdosha

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I believe that 95% of breakins are just crimes of opportunity where I live. I limit what I say on the internet and I choose to buy mostly used guns for the reason that I don't want them registered in a database somewhere with my personal information. I do think that I'm a bit overly paranoid but it helps me sleep at night. I figure that the few criminals that would have the intelligence to put all the pieces together would be able to find a much easier mark that would net them a much larger take.

elliotle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    I was the center of a frequently reported on armed defense situation. I was discussing concealed carry a couple months back with my dad, and he said something along the lines of "Gee, like there's anybody left in Indiana who DOESN'T know you carry." Haha

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ^ The cool thing is, now you can open carry when you shop at Kroger! :rockwoot:

;)

But more seriously, job well done. :yesway:

We're all glad you were carrying that night.

Top Bottom