• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    This could be a sensitive subject, but I'll ask anyway.

How much cash do you consider prudent to be kept at home?

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    I agree with the 1k or a gold or silver stash. But remember Gold and silver retain there value. And have been the longest most accepted forms of currency.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    ONE MILLION DOLLARS!
    mike_myers_as_dr_evil_in_austin_powers.jpg

t.gif
    t.gif

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I would think...
    $1,000 cash in small bills $1, $5, $10 and $20s.
    $3,000 in silver coins and/or bullion

for SHTF end of the world you want to add GOLD bullion (to retain your wealth).
    Most trading will be in silver and/or goods/foods you are NOT going to get a good deal for your gold. However if you need to escape or manage to go to say Europe to start a new life then your wealth is easliy taken with you in the GOLD which never losses it's value like the paper. GOLD will always be KING!

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    We keep 70 hours in our comp bank at work. It works out to about 1200 before taxes. My job is stable enough and my department has been very conservative in their funds usage that we are fine and that money will be there when/if we need it.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Ithought the economy was so bad that nobody had any money!
    Try to keep a couple k around if I can. Where can one trade cash for gold currency?

cagilber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Less than $30 in cash (bills) on me or in my place at any time. I'm so screwed, lol.

Too dependent on my Debit card working.

MarkR

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indianapolis - West Side
    Everyone should keep some emergency cash on hand, in the event of power outages (no atm or credit card machines), "temporary" bank closures, or just G.O.O.D. cash. We keep between 2-3k.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I was tending bar a lot of years ago. A wise patron explained that his wife tended bar also. He explained that he always sent sent her to work with five Ben Franklins. He told of the many great buys she made through the years, due to the fact she had disposable cash on hand.

SCAR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Valparaiso Indiana
    I usually keep 2k in the safe but if I find a good deal on something ill use the cash so mý wife won't know I "bought another gun" untill I can replace it. But I never let it go below 1k.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Since I asked the question, I'll go ahead and answer it.

My goal is to have one month's expenses in cash on hand. This may seem like a lot, but it provides resources in the event that cash is otherwise unavailable. It isn't a true SHTF cache because cash may not have much value in an end of the world situation, but for most small and medium-sized events that I can imagine, cash will be king.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I agree with Shay. Having one month's cash that you put in a safe and forget about is prudent. Of course, if you work construction or a similarly ureliable job, it's best to keep more money in savings, but I don't think I'd have it in cash (put it somewhere to compound interest).

The trick is forgetting that it exists. I also agree that there is little sense in stocking up huge piles in the event of bank failure, etc. If things get to that point your cash won't be worth much more than the promise your bank gave you.

1 month on hand, and additional savings in an account that earns interest.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Forgetting it exists is how I paid for my wife's engagement ring in cash. Every paycheck, I took out a bit more than what I wanted but not more than I could afford and stashed it in a box. After a good while, I was able to pay cash for it. Gave me some haggle wiggle room and didn't force me to use credit to buy it.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'd love a full month's cash on hand, but usually only can afford $1500. I have savings of three months in the bank at most times, but it is REAL hard not to go buy something cool with it.

Top Bottom