How many times would this guy have been shot here in Indy?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyKiller82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    Avon, IN
    Well, in the general public yes. :D

Would you have shot either of them? If so, which one?

Well first instinct would be to shoot the guy doing the strangulation. The knee jerk reaction would be to shoot him. However, ideally I would handle the situation by drawing my weapon and instructing the strangulation to stop. And call the police while keeping them both at gun point until the police arrive. I'd have to intervene in some way because I couldn't live with myself knowing I let someone get murdered. But if I got a big F U from the guy doing the strangulation and he didn't stop and the victim is begging me for help, yeah I would've blown the brains out of the guy doing the strangulation.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've ran into something similar, although just with an armbar choke and not a cord. Fight in progress call, get there and see this on the sidewalk.

I palm struck the "choker" in the side of the neck to stun him and then peeled him off the "chokee". That was pre-Taser, though, so I might try that first today.

Lots of things to consider. Relative size and strength is going to be especially important in that confined space. Availability of weapons and backup, etc. The guy who grabbed the fire extinguisher had half a good idea. Too bad he didn't use it as an impact weapon instead of trying to break up fighting dogs, though.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Hard to draw and shoot with all that rolling around, choker could just pull the chokee on top of him as a shield. Then what are ya gonna do? You'd have to get in contact distance. I think best course would be to attempt a field goal with the choker's jaw or teeth. Curbstomp the fight out of him. If you accidently bruise the chokee, so be it, beats dying.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Without being there from the start I wouldn't use deadly force. I would just call 911. If you do intervene you better be ready to knock both parties out. I have seen people get in the middle of a dispute and get stomped by both parties involved. For all you know the guy getting choked could have been the aggressor and getting what he deserved. Too many variables to start making assumptions that could put yourself at risk. Your best bet like mentioned above is to hold both at gun point until authorities arrive to sort out the situation.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    For all you know the guy getting choked could have been the aggressor and getting what he deserved.

At a certain point, who was the original aggressor is no longer relevant. If you punch me and I turn around and knock you semi-conscious I can't then choke you to death can I? Once you stop being a threat, the fight is over.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    At a certain point, who was the original aggressor is no longer relevant. If you punch me and I turn around and knock you semi-conscious I can't then choke you to death can I? Once you stop being a threat, the fight is over.

The way I see it it's always relevant who the aggressor is. If your man enough to start something then you better be man enough to handle the outcome regardless if it ends in your favor. If you hit me I am not going to show mercy just because you might be stumbling around after I hit you back. I will not stop my counter attack until the person is laid out or is fleeing away period.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Would anyone here change their answer if the person was being stabbed with a large knife rather than being strangled by a cord? Serious question.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    What you guys are forgetting that you walked in to a situation ALREADY in progress. You don't know if the guy getting choked was the bad guy getting beat up when the choker was defending himself.

You don't shoot in situations like this UNLESS you were there at the start and is a witness on how it escalated.

The best action on this is just to call 911 and be a witness.

Can't believe the reaction here is shoot first. SMFH.

I've never in my life heard of a self-defense strangling. I would have shot him in the head.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Would anyone here change their answer if the person was being stabbed with a large knife rather than being strangled by a cord? Serious question.

It depends. Is the person still flopping around with the knife just to his neck or is his head actually being severed? Also depends on if I have my good jeans on or just my work jeans. I would hate to ruin my good jeans with someone else's blood. Everyone knows how hard it is to find that one favorite pair.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Pretty sad that less than half the people shown attempted to intervene. Draw down, get a good sight picture, if he hasn't halted by then. . .eliminate the threat.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    maybe they were doing this as an 'experiment' in some GFZ like 'crook cnty' IL to demonstrate the need to have the tools to defend yourself?
    Here, in dixie, or outwest (AZ?), would be playing with (gun)fire. I've got 2 arthritic shoulders; beyond a boot in the face, it'd be a gunfight.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Hard to say without being there, imho. I've never been in either situation - I would like to think I would do what I could to help.

I have to think if it were a knife and he was getting stabbed I'd draw and do my best to get a shot without putting myself at any more risk than necessary... While I would do my best to defend a third party, at the end of the day, my goal is for me to get home to my family safe and sound.

The next question is - what happens if it's just the rope/garrote and you get close to help/fend off the attacker and *then* they pull a knife? Sure, question is - why would they not use the knife to begin with if they had it? Maybe they didn't want blood everywhere but a defender changed the stakes.

7urtle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    hammond
    I'd like to run this prank as a social experiment in the Chicago City Hall building.

Then we would watch these elected officials who disarmed everyone react.
    I wonder how they would feel, watching a man die before their eyes, knowing they'd taken away his best means of self-defense.
    a woman was stabbed and on magnificent mile in downtown chicago on black friday. 2 people helped. 1 got cut and the other chased the robber where he was hit by a car.

Top Bottom