• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bassmatt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2009
    Marshal County
    Just getting into reloading I am not sure about powder usage.
    I will be using 2400 at max load with 250gr bullets. I am trying to figure out how much powder to purchase. How many rounds can I expect to get out of 1lb. of 2400? I have around 3000 casings to load.
    Thanks for the help,
    Matt

bassmatt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2009
    Marshal County
    jackadew,
    Wow I was only going to purchase 1lb of powder. The chart says i will get less than 300 rounds per pound so I will be needing alot more than I thought.
    Thanks for the info,
    Matt

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    Just getting into reloading I am not sure about powder usage.
    I will be using 2400 at max load with 250gr bullets. I am trying to figure out how much powder to purchase. How many rounds can I expect to get out of 1lb. of 2400? I have around 3000 casings to load.
    Thanks for the help,
    Matt

If your just getting into reloading why are you instantly going to max load? you want to start low and work your way up to it.

bassmatt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2009
    Marshal County
    chuddly,
    I am just getting an idea of how many I can load with 1lb of powder. I figured if I put max load in the post that would be the least I could load with 1lb. I will not be loading at the max to start with just getting an idea of how much powder to purchase I didn't want to buy 1lb and not be enough or 8lbs. and have 6 lbs. left over.
    Thanks for the concern,
    Matt

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    If you're talking 250 grain bullets, as fired from a 44 Rem Mag, with a safe load of 2400 powder, you would get between 350 and 400 loads from a pound of powder.

Since you're new at this, I would suggest that you call that good, for now, and when you've loaded and shot a couple hundred rounds, THEN start thinking of buying more powder.

Which 250 grain bullet were you planning to use in 44RM?

bassmatt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2009
    Marshal County
    Broom_jm,
    I will be buying the bullets from the shop that did the scope and trigger work on my 629. Sandburr Gun Ranch, D.O. there has around 30 years working with the 629 in 44mag and I will be taking his advice on the 629. I do have a new ruger 77/44 that I will be working on loads for. Any ideas for the 77/44.
    Thanks Matt

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I shoot H110 under a 240 xtp out of my 77/44. I wouldn't advise shooting cast out of your rifle. Pick Dennis' brain on reloading for the .44, he has years of experience and is fun to listen to (as long as you aren't thin skinned or easily offended!) I've got a lot of good reloading advice from him. Oh, and you may want to order some bullets, not to steer you away from doing business with D.O and Ashley, because they're awesome, but I don't like the cast .44 that they sell because the lube is normally soft and messy. It crudded up my dies quickly. Shot great, but didn't like having to clean out my seating die every 50-100 rounds. Start with 500 from them and try them out before sinking a bunch of cash.

Last edited:

bassmatt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2009
    Marshal County
    hammer24,
    Thanks for the info on the 77/44, oh and dennis is a 1 of a kind and a lot of fun to talk to. I live only 10 minutes from his place and my entire family is from Rochester. Would you happen to have any experience with the 250gr Winchester Silver Tip Hollow Point in the 44mag
    Thanks again,
    Matt

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    hammer24, Would you happen to have any experience with the 250gr Winchester Silver Tip Hollow Point in the 44mag
    Thanks again,
    Matt
    I personally do not, however I've been curious about the 250 PLATINUM tip, as it is essentially the old Black Talon bullet, and is just plain NASTY! It is not available as a reloading component though, and the xtp has served me very well. I doubt I'll get much more performance than what I'm getting. Now, that being said I'd love to see what they would do out of a rifle on game....I could be swayed. :D

bassmatt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2009
    Marshal County
    Hammer,
    I will be ordering some of the the 250gr winchesters this weekend. What are some test to perform so I can write a review on them. I can test them out of my 629-1 with 6" pipe. I will also be shooting the Ruger 77/44.
    What materials should I shoot at and at what yardage, are there any "standard" things that are done to test bullets that an average guy like myself can perform. Without putting anyone in harms way.
    Thanks,
    Matt

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom