How many rounds of 22 did you keep on before Sandy Hook?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How many rounds of 22 rimfire did you stock, in the past?

• Total voters

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    i had very little before. my .22 had been in the safe for a decade before i decided to get it out last summer. still have very little now. never would have expected a run on .22, lesson learned.

LeftEyeBill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Grant Co.
    I keep between 500 to 1500 .22LR rounds on hand, depending how much I've been shooting. Same as I did before the nutcase, same as I will after the nutcase.

Paranoia and Politics be damned...

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    If somebody would have asked, I would have said 2-3k. I actually counted the boxes a few weeks back and realized I had several thousand more than I thought I did. It adds up quickly w/ 100rd Mini-Mag packs, 500+rd bulk packs, and 500rd bricks.

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    I understand why you may have an arbitrary number of rounds minimum in your possession, but I like to go shooting. Let's say my magic number was 1000 rounds. I would pay a little more to shoot from time to time and keep my 1000 rounds. IMHO, I would NOT stop shooting just because prices are high. I would just back off how much I shoot.

Oh yeah, I have less than 1000 rounds of 22 currently. I plan to shoot some too. I will pay a little more to be able to shoot.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    I understand why you may have an arbitrary number of rounds minimum in your possession, but I like to go shooting. Let's say my magic number was 1000 rounds. I would pay a little more to shoot from time to time and keep my 1000 rounds. IMHO, I would NOT stop shooting just because prices are high. I would just back off how much I shoot.

Oh yeah, I have less than 1000 rounds of 22 currently. I plan to shoot some too. I will pay a little more to be able to shoot.

maybe a different mindset for me. i don't shoot unless i can replenish what i consume. some things you cant replenish right now. ive found myself branching into different calibers so i can keep shooting.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I have a .30 cal can (painted safety orange [I color code my ammo cans] if you have seen it at ECPR) full of .22 for the range. I have a 40mm can full of it and then assorted speciality ammo (shorts, CBs, tracer, 60 grainers, etc.) in boxes on the "gun store" shelves in the basement.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I had just switched go buying .22 by the 5000 round case. Even before Sandy Hook it was hard to find case quantities of the brand and type I wanted. My goal was to keep 2000 - 5000 rounds in my cabinet. At the time I had 9 rimfire firearms. I have since reduced this number in the process of thinning the herd.

Rimfire is my favorite guns to shoot. Got a 9 year old son that needs to feed his rifle. I refuse to limit his round count. He can shoot it all if he wants.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I shoot a lot of .22 so I always had about 4-5k on hand. Like VUPD said, anytime I was at a place that sold it I would pick up a brick or 2.

Agreed, I was doing this whenever I found a good/reasonable price on the brand that my guns like.

None. 0. I must be the only gun owner in the Free World who does not own a .22. :dunno:

Come on Vince, even people in IL and CA own 22's ;)

Check out an AA kit for one of your Glocks. I really like mine, and it actually got me to buy more Glocks :D

I voted 5k +. I have a 15-22 and 2 AA kits for my Glocks, and plenty of mags for them.

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    maybe a different mindset for me. i don't shoot unless i can replenish what i consume. some things you cant replenish right now. ive found myself branching into different calibers so i can keep shooting.
    Yeah, that's what I am saying. If you have 1000 rounds, then I would go buy some (even at higher price) so that I could still go shooting. Still keeping hold of that 1000. Does that make sense?

That being said, I guess some calibers are so hard to find, that would be difficult to do without spending way more than is reasonable.

Point being, I am not going to stop going shooting.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I had short of 5K, then I shot a bunch and finally wound up giving all I had left save 2 boxes to the youth programs in my county for Child afirearm Education and Competition. I am awaiting several thousand I have on backorder at various internet sales places that accepted them.

Until then my Starline brass haas ben flowing in at an amazing rate and I am flush with any other rounds I shoot via reloading.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Yeah, that's what I am saying. If you have 1000 rounds, then I would go buy some (even at higher price) so that I could still go shooting. Still keeping hold of that 1000. Does that make sense?

That being said, I guess some calibers are so hard to find, that would be difficult to do without spending way more than is reasonable.

Point being, I am not going to stop going shooting.

IMO, no. See all this does, paying high prices for ammo that is in the hands of ths profiteers, is playing into the hands of those who would love to see this continue forever. I realize reloading isn't for everyone but maybe you know someone who does who will help out. I know I am willing to do these things for those I know. It just makes more sense to me to not play the game than to help them ruin the sport. :twocents:

Remember, this is just my opinion. Each person must search themselves to find what works for them. :cool:

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I keep more 22 shorts and Aguila Super Colibri and SniperSubSonic than I do 22lr in any flavor.

I bought a brick last fall, it's on a shelf, still in the bag with receipt from when I bought it. I just don't shoot much .22lr. When I do shoot 22, I'll burn up 500+ in a sitting so I usually kept a brick or two around.

The SSS and colibri however, I had two bricks of each of those, I'm now down to my last box of both. I have just two CCI slidetop boxes of 22short left.

Would've never expected a shortage on 22shorts or the powderless colibri, or even the SSS. Guess I've learned a lesson.

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    IMO, no. See all this does, paying high prices for ammo that is in the hands of ths profiteers, is playing into the hands of those who would love to see this continue forever. I realize reloading isn't for everyone but maybe you know someone who does who will help out. I know I am willing to do these things for those I know. It just makes more sense to me to not play the game than to help them ruin the sport. :twocents:

Remember, this is just my opinion. Each person must search themselves to find what works for them. :cool:

Well, I do have a friend that reloads, but I don't feel comfortable asking him to make ammo for me. If he offered...

I would like to start reloading, but I have some things I need to get before I make that investment.

I still contend that there should be some startup companies that should step up and take advantage of a strong market. People are willing to pay for ammo. Lot of them. It seems like a no-brainer. Must be more to it that I do not understand.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    I still contend that there should be some startup companies that should step up and take advantage of a strong market. People are willing to pay for ammo. Lot of them. It seems like a no-brainer. Must be more to it that I do not understand.

Components and equipment are few and far between as well....

Top Bottom