• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    My M&P9 Shield with 7+1 and 8 rd spare. Sometimes two 8 round spares. I plan to also get a full size M&P to have a bigger option.

nm0369

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Greenwood
    There's no such thing as "knock down power", not even with a 12 ga. If such a thing existed, firing the gun would also knock down the guy who fired it. If you'll shoot some vermin animals with both .45 and 9mm, you'll notice no difference, with equivalent loads. I've shot hundreds of critters with ccw guns. Because of that experience, I"ll take CorBon's 1400 fps (4" barrel) 100 gr 9mm PowrBall over any .45 load in 230 gr, and most of them in 185 gr, too, because they are traveling too slow to expand. The 200 gr Speer wont expand in flesh from the shorter barreled .45's, either. At least one of the 165 gr loads is loaded to too low a velocity for expansion, too. What happens in jello doesn't matter, cause it does not mirror what happens in the chest organs, especially after the hp cavity gets 'clogged" with clothing debris.
    You can't be serious about the 100gr Corbon 9mm. :rolleyes: Any brand of 45acp "ball ammo" in 230gr will yield better penetration, and even with no expansion it's 230gr vs. a modest expanding 100gr bullet. I could go on and on....you might want to re-think your carry setup.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I only carry one a dem der forty-fives (ya know cuz they don' make a forty-six) cuz that's all ya need ya know. No sence in carryin' all them extry boolits when one a dem forty-fives'll pernt-nye splatter yer bad boy inda week I tell you what.

My autocorrect almost had a meltdown with that.

dontcha

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2013
    United States
    No, I aint gonna rethink the 100 gr 9mm. i"ve shot the animals and SEEN LOTS of them run off after taking .45 ball thru the chest. You've done nothing more than listen to bs stories and read lies. The .45 ball rd will shoot lengthwise thru a big dog, or thru TWO men in the normal manner. Penetration beyond about 10", you dont WANT. You aint a cop, you'll get your butt sued off for shooting at sideways people, after shooting thru car doors, windows, etc. Let's say my 9mm jhp manages to pierce your lung and "only" goes 1" deep into your heart. Do you REALLY think that your heart istn't damaged, just because it was not completely penetrated? :-) the lung is about 2" deep from the side or the front of the chest. The heart is 3" deep from the front, or 6" from the side. Maybe 400 lb men are commonplace where you live? :-) Around here, skinny young doper punks cause most of the trouble.

with adequately easy to cccw guns that are sufficiently controlable in rapidfire, (ie, 5 hits per second on the chest, at 10 ft, by a skilled hand) the only way to be able to shoot thru cars, etc, AND have stopping effect, is to load every other rd a "piercer",. then a "stopper", and fire at least 4 rds at the chest. Save the remaining 3 rds in the mag for either more careful shots at the head, or for chest shots at one of his buddies, if he still wants some (very unlikely)

Last edited:

David D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2013
    New Albany area
    Trying to stick with addressing the original post, I must shamefully admit that I usually don't carry any more than my gun can hold (5, 7, or 16) depending on which firearm I am carrying at the time.

I am consciously trying to mend my evil ways, and in fact last night I did carry 6 +1 and a spare 9 round extended magazine. With this being stated, I do occasionally carry a BUG.

dontcha

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2013
    United States
    Almost nobody has a clue how long it takes to effectively utilize a "mere" one magazine full of ammo in a fight. While you are doing all that, only LUCK is saving you from being hit by the enemy, you know. Other than spraying out one mag, not even caring if you hit anything, as you sprint for cover, you'll almost certainly not survive to need to reload, in civilian circumstances.

I've been studying this stuff for 45 years now. I've been an NRA Life Member for 35 years, and faithfully read the Armed Citizen column every month. I've shot in over 150 IPSC matches, talked for scores of hours with some of the top trainers in the world, along with 100's of "regular people" who got into scrapes. The spare mag is almost as big a pita to ccw as the gun, unless it's in an ankle pouch. That's where I carry mine, on the opposite side of of my ankle from the flashlight

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    ^^^this from a guy who thinks all he needs to do is show his pistol and the bad guy will run, so he doesn't feel the need to actually practice shooting his chosen weapon. Dry firing and airsoft practice are good enough for him and now he is here to give us advice on how to actually shoot. What a joke.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    No, I aint gonna rethink the 100 gr 9mm. i"ve shot the animals and SEEN LOTS of them run off after taking .45 ball thru the chest. You've done nothing more than listen to bs stories and read lies. The .45 ball rd will shoot lengthwise thru a big dog, or thru TWO men in the normal manner. Penetration beyond about 10", you dont WANT. You aint a cop, you'll get your butt sued off for shooting at sideways people, after shooting thru car doors, windows, etc. Let's say my 9mm jhp manages to pierce your lung and "only" goes 1" deep into your heart. Do you REALLY think that your heart istn't damaged, just because it was not completely penetrated? :-) the lung is about 2" deep from the side or the front of the chest. The heart is 3" deep from the front, or 6" from the side. Maybe 400 lb men are commonplace where you live? :-) Around here, skinny young doper punks cause most of the trouble.

with adequately easy to cccw guns that are sufficiently controlable in rapidfire, (ie, 5 hits per second on the chest, at 10 ft, by a skilled hand) the only way to be able to shoot thru cars, etc, AND have stopping effect, is to load every other rd a "piercer",. then a "stopper", and fire at least 4 rds at the chest. Save the remaining 3 rds in the mag for either more careful shots at the head, or for chest shots at one of his buddies, if he still wants some (very unlikely)

My question is....where are you shooting up all these bad guys and shooting through car doors and so on? sounds to me like a war zone...

Where is your kinetic energy in that little powerball? How about penetration? Uz dum cevilions is just to stoopid ta undustaind i gess

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Has anyone either started to carry more ammo or less ammo over the last year? What about calibers? Gone up a caliber or down? I'm talking specifically when compared to last year to see if there is any sort of a trend out there. Personally, I've tended to carry more ammo this year than I did last year. I cannot really say why other than just a gut feeling. In the last year, I moved from primarily carrying a 9mm to a .40. I may switch back to 9mm though since that would add a couple of extra rounds. The Hornady Critical Duty 135g +P seems like a good round. A year ago, I was carrying Hornady's Critical Defense, which seemed inadequate to me.

I'll probably stick with the .40 though. I have a nice setup with the G23/G27 and find that I shoot the G23 as well as I shoot my CZ 75.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Has anyone either started to carry more ammo or less ammo over the last year? What about calibers? Gone up a caliber or down? I'm talking specifically when compared to last year to see if there is any sort of a trend out there. Personally, I've tended to carry more ammo this year than I did last year. I cannot really say why other than just a gut feeling. In the last year, I moved from primarily carrying a 9mm to a .40. I may switch back to 9mm though since that would add a couple of extra rounds. The Hornady Critical Duty 135g +P seems like a good round. A year ago, I was carrying Hornady's Critical Defense, which seemed inadequate to me.

I'll probably stick with the .40 though. I have a nice setup with the G23/G27 and find that I shoot the G23 as well as I shoot my CZ 75.
    In the past year I've switched from .40 to 9mm and started reloading. I've also shot over 9 THOUSAND rounds of that 9mm between my carry M&P and my competition M&P Pro. I've probably shot more in the past year than I had in my entire life up until that point.

Last edited:

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I decided to change and carry far more rounds that I did before posting my similar thread. The thread I posted actually changed my mind about things so I went ahead and changed what I carried to fit the new mindset. So here is what I did...

I went from carrying a Ruger LC9 and two extra magazines which broke down like this: 7+1 in the pistol and 14 more in the two spare mags totaling 22 rounds of 9mm to carrying a Ruger SR9c. The SR0c load out breaks down thus. 10+1 in the piston and 34 more in the two spares totaling 45 rounds of 9mm carried. I carry two of the larger, SR9 full sized 17 round magazines with an adapter sleeve on them which is why there is such a discrepancy in the magazine sizes, 10 to 17 rounds. I do this because I figure if I need to reload at all, I may as well go large ad stay in charge. :cool:

jwestindy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Martinsville Area
    I generally carry 1 to 2 spare magazines with me. Depending on what I choose to carry that day, that usually equates to 21 to 31 rounds. I have a 9mm Sccy that I carry when I need something small, and a Glock 22 when I can conceal it with a jacket. I used to carry a Bersa 380, but I feel more safe with the higher caliber and capacity of the Sccy.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I only carry 5 rounds. I'm hoping thats 5 too many.

Ditto...I'm playing Murphy's Law...I have one and am prepared, therefore I will never need it!

Recently, since I made the decision that I would carry the same ammo as the wife (9mm), I purchase a 9mm conversion barrel for my Glock 23 and have been carrying 15+1 and a second 15-round mag! While the wife prefers a 'standard' or +P round...I find that I definitely prefer the +P+ version. At the minimum, we carry the same caliber and same magazine (she has a Glock 19!)

If I need more than that I probably need a much bigger gun...or a lot more help!

Top Bottom