• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dbishop728

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2012
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I am a firefighter too so I agree with what Firefighter56 says. I learned about SA from my first martial arts instructor and I have been doing martial arts for 28 plus years. So I would definitely say its a way of life and something everyone should practice.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I work in corrections. I have to, even away from the job, in case one of the mutts decides "todays the day". Man do I love my second career since I retired!!

Bob

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    I trust no one, no thing, in no place. Makes it hard to to trust others enough to let your guard down, and it can be exhausting when you're out a lot.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Are you intentional about your situational awareness?

Or, do you trust that you'll "just know" when something bad is about to happen?

Or, do you not worry about it because you think you'll react quickly enough and correctly if you are surprised by something bad happening?

I am intentional. I watch for things that seem out of place and look for unusual patterns. I think in term of Cooper's Color Code.

What do you do?
    Although I'm pretty relaxed and laid back and would like to take some classes on SA, there were times when I have used this natural instinct and, well uh, be careful. It can be used against you more than it is favored. Just sayin. JMHO

chevyguy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    When I'm in the car stuck in traffic I get to looking in all m mirrors and I never crowd the vehicle in front of me. I may have to make a quick get away from a bad situation and ineed some space to do that. I

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    You never know when something might happen....

My wife and I were down town Indy yesterday. In the morning we were at the City County Building which is a GFZ where I could not carry I left my little .38 hidden and locked in my car. I thought there was a good possibility we would have trouble in the parking lot and was glad to get back to my car and rearmed.

When we were finished there we decided to drive to Acapulco Joe's for lunch. I had my SA on when we parallel parked the car and figured out the new parking meters. I sat viewing the door and thought I had everything under control.

After a nice lunch, my wife walked out the front door as I finished paying. I was only a couple steps behind her. She walked out the door and I could see a "pants on the ground" punk cross the side walk and walk directly at her. He probably thought she was alone and did not see me until I emerged from the door. He looked at me, made some comment like "What's up" and immediately retreated to his side of the side walk and walked away in the direction from which he came. I could tell that I threw his timing off. I look at my wife and told her she was targeted and just about got her purse snatched!

My wife normally hangs onto her purse pretty tightly and probably would have been able to resist for a couple seconds. AJ's front door swings out and is slightly recessed into the building. I figure he wanted pin her up against the door with nowhere to go. Nobody would be able to get out the door to help her. His plan was spoiled when I came out that door. I am probably three times his size and not someone he wanted to tangle with.

I had my .38 in my pocket, but I'm not going to shoot a kid for grabbing a purse. If he would have pulled a knife, I would blow him away. My strategy is that if someone tries to make me hand over my wallet, I will come up with the gun instead.

I would be willing to bet there have been other purse snatching there.

The biggest impression we both had in our mind was "Wow, that guy came out of nowhere".

Even while practising SA, you can still be surprised.

Last edited:

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    When I worked in this chinese place my family owned, I am always armed. Every time someone walks in, I always pay more attention if their hands are in their pockets out of sight, especially if they are wearing a big jacket or sweater with pockets that can hide anything.

Top Bottom