How many of you actually follow this NRA Safety Rule?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    My loaded guns are in designated areas of safe but quick access storage, and my carry gun is unloaded when I'm not with it but gets charged when I carry

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    As Certified NRA Personal Protection Instructor I can tell you that this rule is addressed in the Personal Protection courses lesson plans and and also specifically addressed in the Personal Protection outside the Home course video. If your gun is being carried or safely stored for Personal Protection IT IS ready to be used.

You raise a good point that I think bears repeating. The "rules" (whose ever rules we want to use) are a SHORTHAND for communicating key safety concepts. To fully understand a "rule," further commentary is necessary.

Otherwise, people end up following the "rules" in a wooden fashion like robots. I can't tell you how many threads I've seen here on INGO, where someone is doing something responsible and reasonably safe (oh, I don't know, let's say something like dry fire practice in their basement), and asking for some feedback, help, or another related question, only to get ripped by someone quoting a "rule" that was supposedly violated because what they were doing seemed to break the letter of the "rule", when in reality, it was well within the spirit of the rule and/or compensating precautions were taken/safeguards in place. All rules exist within a context.

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    All guns are always loaded. All my self defense guns are loaded all the time. All of my other guns could be used in the role of self defense, so they are all loaded. The guns I use mainly for target shooting may not be loaded, but loaded mags are w/ or near them, too.

Me too, also!!! Always treat a gun as if it was loaded, in my house it is.:patriot:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    My personal defense weapons are always loaded. For some reason I feel that in the couple of seconds it would take to load a weapon in an emergency split second life or death situation, it could cost you your life, or the life of a loved one.

cmcate

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Greenfield
    I keep all of my guns unloaded when they're at home. My 'nightstand gun' either has a mag in (not chambered), and safety on, or a loaded mag right next to it. I figure if anyone breaks in I'll have enough time to load it, hopefully

Last edited:

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I keep all of my guns unloaded when they're at home. My 'nightstand gun' either has a clip in (not chambered), and safety on, or a loaded clip right next to it. I figure if anyone breaks in I'll have enough time to load it, hopefully

That is a gamble that I'm not willing to take.

When it comes to protecting my family, I need to be as prepared as possible.

Extra steps invite problems and could cost you dearly.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I don't own any toy guns, guns to play around with, or unloaded guns. Every gun I own is always loaded and every gun in my house is loaded and they are all to be treated as loaded guns.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    i use that rule... but my glock and 1911 are always loaded cause im always ready to use them, day or night, at home or abroad

cmcate

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Greenfield
    That is a gamble that I'm not willing to take.

When it comes to protecting my family, I need to be as prepared as possible.

Extra steps invite problems and could cost you dearly.

That's true. I suppose more comfort with loaded firearms will come in time. I've been collecting since about June 2008 and gradually getting more comfortable with them.

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with me living at home with my parents either. Maybe it's giving me a false sense of security that everything will be okay and there's no need to worry about it. (Hell, I don't even have a safe for my firearms yet.) In any event I'm sure I'll reevaluate my stance on the subject as I grow and mature.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    That's true. I suppose more comfort with loaded firearms will come in time. I've been collecting since about June 2008 and gradually getting more comfortable with them.

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with me living at home with my parents either. Maybe it's giving me a false sense of security that everything will be okay and there's no need to worry about it. (Hell, I don't even have a safe for my firearms yet.) In any event I'm sure I'll reevaluate my stance on the subject as I grow and mature.

I would say that your stance will change as you gain more knowledge. INGO caused me to reevaluate some of the things I was doing as well.

Top Bottom