How many of you actually follow this NRA Safety Rule?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    3. Always keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.

Whenever you pick up a gun, immediately open the action and look into the chamber(s) which should be clear of ammunition. (If the gun has a magazine, remove it before opening the action and make sure it is empty.) If you do not know how to open the action or inspect the chamber(s), leave the gun alone and get help from someone who does.
    NRA Gun Safety Rules

I respect the NRA and everything they do, and I am a member, but I’m sorry, I am not going to take my home defense weapon and keep it unloaded. Safety is important, but if someone comes busting into my front door, loading my Beretta 92, Glock 26, or Ruger 605 will not be required. I understand that the uninitiated to firearms may want to keep the rifle they got in the Will from when Uncle Joe died in an unloaded condition. I am not going to follow this rule.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I always keep my guns unloaded until I'm ready to use them. I am ready to use the guns I keep for self-defense 24/7 and, so, they are always loaded.

Doug

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The ones I carry are ready to be used so they are always loaded. The ones in my safe that are not my carry guns are unloaded until they come out at the range. :ingo:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    :+1: Just because you are not actively engaging the trigger does not mean you are not "using" the gun.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Guns that are being stored are unloaded. Both of my .50bmgs are stored unloaded. As are my precision rifles and my hunting guns. Every other gun I own is loaded as they are ready to be used at any time. Every pistol I own as they are in various places ready to hand. All the varmit guns (.22s, AR15, shotgun).

So, yeah, I store guns unloaded until they are ready to be used.

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    Guns stored in safes should probably be unloaded. One going to the range not actively used as a self defense weapon should be unloaded. Nice way to work around the rule by saying, "It's in use, because it is my home defense gun."

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    All guns are always loaded. All my self defense guns are loaded all the time. All of my other guns could be used in the role of self defense, so they are all loaded. The guns I use mainly for target shooting may not be loaded, but loaded mags are w/ or near them, too.

latigo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bloomfield
    As Certified NRA Personal Protection Instructor I can tell you that this rule is addressed in the Personal Protection courses lesson plans and and also specifically addressed in the Personal Protection outside the Home course video. If your gun is being carried or safely stored for Personal Protection IT IS ready to be used. The video use to be on YouTube but was shortened. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0uG8IqckQA"]YouTube - NRA: Personal Protection Outside the Home[/ame]

sprshggy07

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    Terre Haute
    All of my home defense guns are loaded and being used as defense all of the time. The rest are unloaded and stored safely but not too far from being ready to go.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    As Certified NRA Personal Protection Instructor I can tell you that this rule is addressed in the Personal Protection courses lesson plans and and also specifically addressed in the Personal Protection outside the Home course video. If your gun is being carried or safely stored for Personal Protection IT IS ready to be used. The video use to be on YouTube but was shortened. YouTube - NRA: Personal Protection Outside the Home

It sure was shortened, it's now virtually pointless. :dunno:

latigo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bloomfield
    Yes, I see all it is now is the introduction. NRA probably put a stop to the complete video being on YouTube so they could sell more.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    :+1: Just because you are not actively engaging the trigger does not mean you are not "using" the gun.
    +1, I think this is talking about storing guns, or while at the range. I've always been taught that if the gun isn't on the firing line the action is open and clear, and even if it is on the line, its open until you're ready to shoot.

IMHO, that rule isn't talking about unloading your defensive guns.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I do. My guns ARE unloaded until ready for use. The .22s, for example, are unloaded as we speak. They are not intended to be home defense weapons, and there is no reason to leave them loaded.

The 1911, the Security Six, and the Mossberg 20 guage, however, serve as home defense weapons and as such are ready for use. Nothing in that safety rule says to keep defensive firearms unloaded.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    As Certified NRA Personal Protection Instructor I can tell you that this rule is addressed in the Personal Protection courses lesson plans and and also specifically addressed in the Personal Protection outside the Home course video. If your gun is being carried or safely stored for Personal Protection IT IS ready to be used.

^ That ^

A gun used for personal protection is "in use."

Now you just have to balance it with "Store guns so they are not accessible to unauthorized persons."

This of course is situation dependent. I have kids, so I have to take additional precautions.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Oh, and I keep all my guns loaded. It's the unloaded ones that cause all the accidents.

Top Bottom