How many LTCH holders have had to USE their firearm in defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    I originally got it to stay legal while going to the range and such. After a few incidences in a row where I was threatened on my own business property, I decided that I needed to commit to carrying. And once you make that decision, you have to dedicate. I started carrying here and there when it seemed like it made sense. As I got comfortable, I realized that if I was going to carry, I needed to do it whenever legally possible. I would never want to risk the chance of needing a firearm and not having one.

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    Yes I have had to draw and yell at an attacker. About 16 years ago my in-laws had a family move next door from NYC. They live in the county on 175 acres and by next door I mean 1/4 mile away. The guy was a complete idiot that would beat his kids and wife. The cops were there all the time even Christmas eve. He got drunk and tore all the cabinets off the walls, broke the tv, knocked the windows out of the house and his vehicles, yes his own windows. In other words he was a piece of work and the cops knew it.
    After him yelling across the field and coming to my inlaws house my father in-law took out a restraining order on him. Which he in turn took one out on both of my inlaws and they lost their LTCH, makes a lot of sence huh.
    Anyway it was memorial day weekend and my self and my Brother in-law were helping to put up a 4' woven wire fence between the 2 propertys. I was behind the idiots house and he had been drunk all weekend raising all kinds of hell. I was holding a privy rod and my father inlaw was up at the road with a transit then the brother inlaw would go between us and mark the property line on the hills so we could get a straight line. next thing I hear is a bunch of yelling between my BIL and the POS. I go out from the woods and see nothing and so I go back in the woods. Then it starts again cussing and yelling, I step out of the woods and the POS sees me. He has a ball bat in his hands and starts yelling and cussing at me remember now I have not said a word to him.I guess he comes for me because I am the smallest. I then tell him he had better rethink it go back in the house and he keeps coming at me. I drop the rod and continue to tell him to stop. He gets within arms reach of me and is yelling all kinds of crap at me but I remain calm and tell him to go back in the house. His veins are popping out of his head as he draws the bat back to swing I draw my Sig p220 and tell him to STOP and he drops the bat and takes off running. I reholster and call the cops. We have 4 deputies, 1 ISP local guy, 2 DNR officers one of whom beat him down and cuffed him Christmas eve. They got statements from everyone involved and took him to jail. I was told that the only thing I did wrong is I should have shot him when I had the chance. I never had to go to court and he was out the next day. From then on though he never gave me or my in laws any trouble and he was sent off the next year for child molesting his own daughter.
    Could I have shot him? Absolutely without a doubt. I am glad that it turned out like it did though. But If I would have shot him he would not have molested his daughter. His daughter went to school with my son when he was in public school. She hated him too.

I now carry every day every where. I always did before but in todays world it only takes one idiot to ruin you and your families life forever.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Twice as a civilian.

First was during a robbery at my part time job at a convenience store in Albuquerque. Four guys involved, decided I hadn't gave them enough money and one of them came over the counter at me.

Second was also in Albuquerque, at my apartment. At the time, I figured having a gun in my bedroom was good enough, never wore my gun around home. Answered a knock at the door, and a gentleman somewhat larger than me forced his way in. I ran for my gun, but I'm never really sure if I should count this as a defensive use of a gun, because my German Sheppard pup attacked the guy and chased him off.

In neither instance was I required to fire a shot. In the first, the BG stopped cold after I stuck my gun in his face and started pulling the trigger, and all four ran for the door. In the second, as mentioned, BG found himself being eaten about the time I got to my gun. To this day, I don't know if I would have made it or not if it weren't for the pup. That's when I started wearing my gun around the house, too.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Defended myself against dogs a few times. I once drew on a drunk driver who was being very belligerent with me after he'd hit me while I was stopped at a light. I was young and stupid then and wasn't as good at de-escalating situations, but luckily no one got hurt.

I once thwarted a guy trying to mug me when I was a kid on my paper route by breaking a bottle and threatening him with the broken neck.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    It was a number of years ago, Our daughter was graduating from the army basic training, we drove all day to get to the base we had our 2 year old grand daughter with us, we got to our destination and found a room at a hotel, it was a seedy one to say the least but was the only thing that was available because of the graduation everyone had already rented every thing else.

we got in and crashed went right to sleep I awoke to some one beating on the door frantically by the time I got out of bed and looked out the window to see who was at the door there was no one there.

went back to bed and about ten minutes passed and again someone starts beating the door down this time I get up grab my gun and run to the window that is right beside the door pull back the curtain and see two Hispanic males trying to break down the door to our room, I pulled the curtain back pointed my .45 at them and yelled they where about to get shot, they both looked over and Saw me pointing the gun at them dropped what they were doing and took off running screaming something in Spanish, Glad I had my gun just like American express never leave home without it.

Last edited:

excursion12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I don't think anyone needs a "situation" to carry a handgun. I go out on the roads in my car every day, so I have car insurance. I also go out in the real world and don't feel like taking my chances that everone will behave just because we have laws that say they should...

WileECoyotee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Huntington.IN.
    I was armed , weapon in holster and stopped a burglery .

I saw 2 people trying to enter thru a window , told them to get down on the ground , they complied . I was on the phone with 911 and within 5 mins. the Police were there , Officers asked them if I held them at gun point to get them to comply and thier answer was " We thought he was a cop because he had a gun in his holster ".

Not a LEO just a concerned Citizen , I really am not looking forward to the day when I have to pull my gun from the holster .

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Wifey was driving on 469 around Ft. Wayne. There was a traffic accident up ahead and the police shut the road down, diverting traffic into the town on either side of the accident.

Bad neighborhood.
    Bad looking people.
    Not many street signs.

3-4-5 people coming off porches from nearby houses when she stopped at a stop sign to try to orient herself to her surroundings and where she was trying to get to.

"What you looking at, b***h?! What are you doing around here?"

She didn't have to use her firearm but she pulled it out of her purse and laid it on the seat next to her, gunned the engine and drove through the group of guys moving toward her car.

Even though she didn't have to use her firearm, it was the best $200 I've ever spent on something to help her or protect her.

That's the closest either of us has come to actually discharging our firearms.

ddenny5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Some where in the USA
    I was coming out of the old Northwest Movie Theater in Muncie after seeing a late movie. I was approached by two men one holding a knife and was asked for my wallet. I moved my coat and placed my hand on my firearm and told them I was armed and it would be in their best interest to leave. They left with no further altercation. I called the police and told them what happened. I found out they had just robbed a old lady just before trying to rob me. They were caught not long after I saw them.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I don't mind at all. We were in Gatlinburg. I cannot remember the name of the very large hotel but it is in a secluded area, but pretty large off of one of the highways (135?). We were outside drinking beers and playing board games. My back was to the open area, my wife and my buddy's wife were opposite from me and my buddy Dave was facing the open area. He noticed it first... it was maybe 10 feet away from us. A bear can cover 10 feet in a lot of time. I stood up fast and almost knocked the table over, and told everyone to get inside. Dave went in, his wife followed and my wife (God bless her) was trying to pick up the beer bottles and food wrappers. I grabbed her by the arm and asked her what she was doing and told her to get inside again and I went to low ready and followed her into the apartment. I don't care how exposed or 'friendly' these bears are, they are still wild animals. Once inside, I reholstered and we went to the opposite side of the cabin. A few minutes later, we heard voices outside our cabin, Dave and I looked out and it was a group of people following the bear!

I think it was the next day but someone on the hotel staff asked me if I was the one who high-tailed it back to the room? I said of course. They were polite but I could tell they were thinking something along the lines of a damn yankee running away from a friendly bear. The way I see it? How often do you hear of a 'friendly' animal mauling someone on the news? Every time there is a bear attack or other wild animal and it attacks a human, they interview others and they all say "but he was so nice all the other times!"

I ain't bein' that guy who gets mauled that one percent of the time. :D

No you did the right thing. There's no such thing as a friendly or timid bear in the wild. I lived and worked in the area your talking about for 15 years in-between Morristown and Knoxville Tn. We had a 200 acre farm there. It seems to me that at least one person per year was killed or mauled by a bear around the park. One instance I found kinda funny was a guy out fishing with his X wife and she got eaten, not just mauled but actually eaten. I always wondered if he dipped her in honey or something lol. Actually the biggest threat in that region that we had to deal with all the time was wild dogs, over the years I probably shot 200 or more. I never had any trouble with the bears but we always followed strict bear protocol's while camping in or around the park...

STAG556

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Indy
    ddenny5I was coming out of the old Northwest Movie Theater in Muncie after seeing a late movie. I was approached by two men one holding a knife and was asked for my wallet. I moved my coat and placed my hand on my firearm and told them I was armed and it would be in their best interest to leave. They left with no further altercation. I called the police and told them what happened. I found out they had just robbed a old lady just before trying to rob me. They were caught not long after I saw them.

In a perfect world, you would just be able to wipe out two POS that have the audacity to threaten and rob anyone, let alone elderly woman.

JustOneMore

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2010
    Franklin
    Think the big man up above i can say no i have not ever had to use a firearm in defense, however i did prevent a couple of overweight women from buying a pizza when they noticed my uncovered firearm and got scared and left the isle i was in.:D

ezdubbin97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Lafayette
    I haven't had to use, but I did have a weird incident last week that left me feeling the comfort of being able to protect myself. I was close to my neighborhood where we currently have a lot of section 8 housing. I typically don't go that way to go 'in town', but this day kind of forced me to go by those apartments. As I came up to a turn lane at an intersection, I had to slow down because of a dude/thug walking in the street. I gave him plenty of room keeping my distance when he looked around and made eye contact. Obviously I didn't provoke him, but after about two more steps, he decided to quickly charge towards my car...not sure why he did that, I thought maybe he wanted me to hit him, thought of something he left at home (doubt it since he stayed his course afterwards), or he was trying to jump in my car, either way, he quickly backtracked when a cop happened to roll up to a stop in the lane next to me. Needless to say, I had my hand ready to draw if I had to...still wonder what he was up to. :dunno:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom