• Handloading/Reloading

• Total voters

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    I got into loading for the .223 and through some shopping have been able to find an extremely inexpensive selection of components that produces acceptable accuracy. I was also able to duplicate a factory load for excellent accuracy on a PD hunt. I also own a 454 casull so reloading there is a no brainer. I am hoping to purchase a 1911 to shoot bullseye and once again, the decision to load is a non starter. I received much of my equipment from family one Christmas. The 550b came from my wife and the tumbler from my parents. The other smaller stuff came from any other person that felt the need to put something under my tree. Easily one of the best Christmas gifts I have ever received.

I wish I had a wife like that! Mine just starts cussin' me if I mention buying another press or dies set or what-not.:runaway:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I love reloading. It's as satisfying and fun as shooting is, IMHO. Not to mention, I can shoot more for the same money.

I've got everything I need to cast except some .38 Special and .45 ACP molds, lead, and even the faintest idea of what I'm doing LOL. Looking forward to learning something to make my reloading even more satisfying and cheaper.

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I started out reloading for a .38spl revolver in 1983 and have enjoyed it ever since. I now load: 9mm - .38spl - .357mag - .357 Herrett - .40S&W - .44spl - .44mag - .45ACP - .45LC - .223 - .30/30 - .308 - 7mm Rem Mag - .338 Win Mag - .35 Rem - .410 – 20ga - 12ga as well as some bullet casting.
    I love pouring over ballistics tables and comparing this load with that load then seeing how close the actual bullet drop and the chronograph are to the tables.

After I got familiar with reloading I tried some unique loads like a gallery load from the Lyman manual. You load a muzzleloader round ball over a very small amount of fast burning power. Or loading a round ball in a 12ga. Also found in a Lyman manual. Or some others that aren’t in the manuals that I won’t mention here.

Tip:
    For someone that is just starting out loading for a hunting rifle/handgun it pays to learn what ballistic coefficient is and how it will help in delivering the maximum energy to the target.

Bucky

mudwater

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Wells County
    I hand load 308 win. I only reload rounds that have been fired in my savage. So I buy quality ammo and when reload the brass. I use A-max bullets with Varget powder and Lee Collet dies. When I was really into it, I had a Chronograph and worked up loads checking my muzzle velocity. Measuring each powder charge to 1/10 th grain. Tedious work but I had fantastic results. Would love to get back into it at that level again but time is a problem. Also Varget powder seems to have disappeared from a few stores I have checked?

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    I hand load 308 win. I only reload rounds that have been fired in my savage. So I buy quality ammo and when reload the brass. I use A-max bullets with Varget powder and Lee Collet dies. When I was really into it, I had a Chronograph and worked up loads checking my muzzle velocity. Measuring each powder charge to 1/10 th grain. Tedious work but I had fantastic results. Would love to get back into it at that level again but time is a problem. Also Varget powder seems to have disappeared from a few stores I have checked?

I believe 21stCenturyFirearms has some Varget. I PMed Bluffton a little while back but haven't made it up there. Might want to ask him if they still have any.

Varget is my favorite powder in my 308 bolt gun, 42grs underneth a 175gr Berger VLD just of the lands is absolutely superb in my winchester!:rockwoot:

captpaul

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Indy
    Started reloading when I began shooting USPSA. Shooting 250-300 rounds a week, loading is the only way to go. I also enjoy the load development process.

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    I would like to start reloading. But, at this time I am living in an apartment with my girlfriend. Someday, when we get married and buy a house, I will start reloading. Until then, I have no place to put the equipment.

tharlow514

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I am just getting into reloading due to some influence by BeeRian. I just bought a turret press, powder drop and 40 S&W dies. I am pumped! I still need calipers, scales and a few other things and then I am ready to roll.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I started out in about '73 with a Lee Loader (the little tools you use with a hammer and a block of wood) loading 45 Colt for my 3 screw Blackhawk. Now it's a Lee single stage for short runs and a Dillon 550 for quantity.
    380, 7.62X25, 9mm, 38 SPL, 357 mag, 40 S&W, 10 mm, 44 mag, 45 ACP, 223. The list jjust keeps expanding.
    It's very relaxing down in the "gun room" in the basement, listening to Fox News on the tube while running of a batch of ammo. Epsylum and I had many good times in that room discussing and making ammo for an upcoming weekend.

BeeRian

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I am just getting into reloading due to some influence by BeeRian. I just bought a turret press, powder drop and 40 S&W dies. I am pumped! I still need calipers, scales and a few other things and then I am ready to roll.

You'll be "rollin' your own" before you know it!:rockwoot:

...a little at a time here and there and you'll have all you need.

Ahhhh, the Lee Classic Turret...I actually think I kind of miss it when Im gone...

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom