• Handloading/Reloading

• Total voters

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    I know the hobby of Handloading/Reloading has been becoming ever more popular with the Fear of limitations and bans that loom with the latest Presidential election along with the wars in the Middle East and shortages and price increases of factory loaded ammunition. I personally know several people that have gotten in to the hobby just in the nick of time and some that sadly got started too late.

So how many INGO members roll their own? What calibers and how many? Do you prefer to load a specific caliber better than another you shoot/or shot I should say for those that had tragic boating accidents.;)

I am fairly new to the art, having only been at it for about 3 1/2yrs I am constantly learning something new and finding more information on things that give me another idea or thing to try to see if it is benefitial or an unneccesary step.

I'm just trying to see how many others share the same passion for it and whether your reasoning is More bang for your buck, accuracy, or that wonderful wildcat round!

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    Been reloading for a lil over a year now. Started doin it when I got into shooting sports. Man this hobby has saved me some bucks! Hope to start casting soon. I currently only load three calibers. 9mm, .40 and .45. Hopefully I will get an evil black rifle soon and will be doing rifle loads as well.

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    fyi this poll might be a bit biased because most members that routinly use this forum are handloaders.

Hehe, I was going to put it in General discussion but I figured it would just get moved here anyway.

Mods please feel free to move if you feel that it will better serve it's purpose elsewhere. Thanks!;)

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    I started reloading in the mid 70s for handgun on an old RCBS single stage then bought a progressive press when they were first introduced. Now I am more of a handloader as I like to experiment and chrono my loads since I now am back in the country and have a backyard range. Over the years I have had the RCBS, a Lee 1000, Hornady Lock n Load, Dillon 650, and currently a Redding T7. The only factory ammo I have is for personal protection.:ar15:

Last edited:

indybrad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I only reload for my ARs because I shoot them the most. Plus, I can't hardly find the time to reload for them let alone the other rifles and pistols I have.

BeeRian

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The only factory ammo I have are .22lr, some XM193, and some JHPs for my handguns. I reload ALL of my target ammo but I also have plenty of components to reload "serious stuff" for the AR and handguns as well if needed.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I have reloaded for many years. Anything from rifle, handgun, to shot shells. Like other posters said, another hobbie in it's self. My daughter used to help me when she was younger, now my grandson helps, and is on his way to loading shot shells, under my supervision. I use a RCBS rockchucker press, and 4 different MEC presses for shot shells. Every now and then we load up a few brass shot shells with a few hand tools.

Dave

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    great to reload

I started reloading in the mid 70s for handgun on an old RCBS single stage then bought a progressive press when they were first introduced. Now I am more of a handloader as I like to experiment and chrono my loads since I now am back in the country and have a backyard range. Over the years I have had the RCBS, a Lee 1000, Hornady Lock n Load, Dillon 650, and currently a Redding T7. The only factory ammo I have is for personal protection.:ar15:

I started the same time and way you did,sir. a used RCBS single stage. I bought VERY LITTLE factory ammo in the '70s, I reloaded many rds. on it and let a friend have it. Got a Dillon Square Deal in '88.:yesway:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Been reloading for years in a lot of calibers. It's tough to get the best out of some cartridges if you don't reload.Casting pays off the larger the bullets get.:)

jlm223

Aim Small Miss Small
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Muncie
    Started reloading about one year a go, started with .223, 44 MAG., 40 S&W because that's what I shoot most. Guys I am addicted.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    New to reloading, and decided if I was going to roll my own, I wanted to cast my own lead too. Still waiting on some dies to arrive, but will be casting and loading 38/357, 40, 45, .480 and maybe some 357 sig.

Only thing I plan on buying from now on is powder, primers, carry ammo and .22.

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    reoading

started reloading in 1984. 9mm,38,357,40mm,10mm,44mag,223.30-30,308.7-08.243.22-250,35rem,7-30jdj,7.5swiss. well worth it if you shoot alot. can be just as addicting as shooting and as much fun trying to come up with that perfect load.

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    I hear you all on it being addictive!;) Like I said, I got started about 3 1/2yrs ago and truthfully started because I had just bought my first 308Win.. Before I got started I borrowed Speer #11 manual from a buddy that was into it and got to reading. It just kind of erupted from there, I had bout 3 manuals and read them front to back before I even bout my first tool. I got started with a Reloader Special kit from Midway, then about 8 months later found a like new RockChuckerII on ebay for $50, and then started buying everything I saw at yardsales and any old timer passing their stuff on. And then I was hooked, I load for about 23 different calibers now and always adding to the collection.

My biggest delima now is where to start next!:dunno: I established a pet load for my 308 Mod.70, a hunting load for my 45Colt, and two pet loads for one of my 22-250s, but now I don't know where to go next! I don't know whether I want to find another load with a different bullet for my 22-250(since I have like 12 different 22cal bullets and weights on hand), work on a 7mm Mag load, or my 204. It is kind of a bummer, know what I mean. I do know that I will always have something to work at for a long time coming, but now I have to find the time.

2ridgebacks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Floyds Knobs
    I got into loading for the .223 and through some shopping have been able to find an extremely inexpensive selection of components that produces acceptable accuracy. I was also able to duplicate a factory load for excellent accuracy on a PD hunt. I also own a 454 casull so reloading there is a no brainer. I am hoping to purchase a 1911 to shoot bullseye and once again, the decision to load is a non starter. I received much of my equipment from family one Christmas. The 550b came from my wife and the tumbler from my parents. The other smaller stuff came from any other person that felt the need to put something under my tree. Easily one of the best Christmas gifts I have ever received.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom