How long can the police camp on your doorstep?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    For this very reason I want to fence my entire property and give the dogs access to it all.

How many videos do you need to see to know your dogs wouldnt last very long against the officers, be it on your property or not?

Should have read the thread ... of course others beat me to it

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    How many videos do you need to see to know your dogs wouldnt last very long against the officers, be it on your property or not?

Should have read the thread ... of course others beat me to it

Yup, they are likely to become my best friend and follow me home ;) BTW, apparently some officers need more to do if they have time to knock on a door for 45 minutes...sheesh

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    yep, super easy....juvenile calls 911 saying some guys with guns and flashlights are trying to break into their house, dispatcher tells them the police are outside and to open the door. Kid hangs up and goes to hide out. The kid just called 911 to report an emergency and possible MWAG, they have to ensure the safety of the juvenile.

You really think a judge would have any problem tossing any case on that set of facts?

When officers insist on pushing the envelope, they may find the courts recognize fewer and fewer exceptions to the warrant requirement.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yup, they are likely to become my best friend and follow me home ;) BTW, apparently some officers need more to do if they have time to knock on a door for 45 minutes...sheesh

Too much time on their hands...this reminds me of a time when I was out late and a city cop in a smaller town started following me in such a way as to appear more than coincidental, so I tested the theory. We had a nice drive through town on an irregular course which continued until the officer apparently figured out that I was having fun at his expense and gave up.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    yep, super easy....juvenile calls 911 saying some guys with guns and flashlights are trying to break into their house, dispatcher tells them the police are outside and to open the door. Kid hangs up and goes to hide out. The kid just called 911 to report an emergency and possible MWAG, they have to ensure the safety of the juvenile.
    So, the 'concept' here is the LEO incorporates the use of a juvenile to make a 'fake' 911 call so the LEO can be 'justified' in not obtaining a warrant? :ugh:

That's an easy one! Fire the cop because they're terminally stupid, then prosecute them for abusing a juvenile.

Promote the kids for their superior intellect and 'Little Johnny' gets the paycheck and gets to run the siren whenever he wants! :thumbsup:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I was reading the ruling and came up with a question. An officer knocks on your door, you opening the door doesn't give them the right to walk on in, correct? How about your attached garage (or detached, if there's a difference), you're in your garage with the door open, can they walk on it uninvited?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I was reading the ruling and came up with a question. An officer knocks on your door, you opening the door doesn't give them the right to walk on in, correct? How about your attached garage (or detached, if there's a difference), you're in your garage with the door open, can they walk on it uninvited?
    No, cannot come in. Can only enter open doors if we are there checking an alarm or other in progress crime (if we don't have a warrant or permission), that includes a garage, shed, or any out building inside the curtilage of the house.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    You really think a judge would have any problem tossing any case on that set of facts?

When officers insist on pushing the envelope, they may find the courts recognize fewer and fewer exceptions to the warrant requirement.

I think that if somebody calls 911 and says there's a strange MWAG outside my house, and nobody answers the door when the police arrive, it would fall under exigent circumstances.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    So, the 'concept' here is the LEO incorporates the use of a juvenile to make a 'fake' 911 call so the LEO can be 'justified' in not obtaining a warrant? :ugh:

That's an easy one! Fire the cop because they're terminally stupid, then prosecute them for abusing a juvenile.

Promote the kids for their superior intellect and 'Little Johnny' gets the paycheck and gets to run the siren whenever he wants! :thumbsup:

it was said in a previous post that the juveniles should have called 911 on the police, I was pointing out that could be an avenue of exigent circumstances/

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think that if somebody calls 911 and says there's a strange MWAG outside my house, and nobody answers the door when the police arrive, it would fall under exigent circumstances.
    And if that 911 call did not originate at that location?

The minors were inside desiring to remain beyond the purview of the police. Why would they make a phone call that would call the police to them, or even acknowledge to the police that they were there?

At 1:30 in the morning when most of this is happening, where were the parents? Were there no responsible adults in the residence at that hour?

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    And if that 911 call did not originate at that location?

The minors were inside desiring to remain beyond the purview of the police. Why would they make a phone call that would call the police to them, or even acknowledge to the police that they were there?

At 1:30 in the morning when most of this is happening, where were the parents? Were there no responsible adults in the residence at that hour?

Again, I was simply replying to somebody's suggestion that

That guy should have called the police........................Wait....

If the teens had wished to avoid the police, it would not be wise for them to call the police (which they did not)

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Too much time on their hands...this reminds me of a time when I was out late and a city cop in a smaller town started following me in such a way as to appear more than coincidental, so I tested the theory. We had a nice drive through town on an irregular course which continued until the officer apparently figured out that I was having fun at his expense and gave up.
    This could've backfired on you if one of your tires just happened to touch the painted lane lines in the road. Might've been an invite to light you up and administer a sobriety test.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    No, cannot come in. Can only enter open doors if we are there checking an alarm or other in progress crime (if we don't have a warrant or permission), that includes a garage, shed, or any out building inside the curtilage of the house.

Thanks for the clarification. I will leave it at saying that experience has demonstrated that not all police understand this.

This could've backfired on you if one of your tires just happened to touch the painted lane lines in the road. Might've been an invite to light you up and administer a sobriety test.

He was lingering far enough back for that not to be an immediate problem issue. Besides which, he started jacking with me first. If he can't take it, he shouldn't start it.

Incidentally, both comments apply to the same PD.

Top Bottom