• ...and so much more!
  • ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    If you do something that hands your political enemy a propaganda victory does it matter whether facts were distorted? Go ask Senator Mourdock.

If all it took was claiming a victory to have achieved one, we'd have no defense to distorted facts, would we? They're getting far more mileage from the fact that many gun owners are agreeing with them regarding their recent claims despite the truth.

BTW, I told my daughter that I have been labeled an "Anti-Liberty Gun Owner" on INGO. She laughed and didn't believe me; said nobody could actually be that loony to say that.

Nobody else labelled you, you've adopted that moniker yourself. I suppose the fit of that particular shoe just seemed irresistible to you for some reason.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Interesting, but irrelevant. what I really want to know is this:

So...how did traditional handgun carry become more and more socially acceptable?

Do you remember when it wasn't? Do you remember when it was socially acceptable but people still claimed it wasn't?

Are you seeing any similarities between the current rifle carry argument and the argument against traditional carry of handguns?
    Nothing about what I said was irrelevant, but you're entitled to think that. Traditional carry of handguns is more practical then carrying a rifle. An exception to this can be seen in rifle carry in a rural setting, but not in an urban setting in a restaurant. Given the impractical nature of this, rifle carry will not be as socially acceptable as handgun carry. There, sir, is your relevance.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Nothing about what I said was irrelevant, but you're entitled to think that. Traditional carry of handguns is more practical then carrying a rifle. An exception to this can be seen in rifle carry in a rural setting, but not in an urban setting in a restaurant. Given the impractical nature of this, rifle carry will not be as socially acceptable as handgun carry. There, sir, is your relevance.

Interesting, but still irrelevant. what I really want to know is this:

So...how did traditional handgun carry become more and more socially acceptable?

Do you remember when it wasn't? Do you remember when it was socially acceptable but people still claimed it wasn't?

Are you seeing any similarities between the current rifle carry argument and the argument against traditional carry of handguns?

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I'm all about open carry. But you have to admit that if you were in a restaurant eating with your family and 2 yahoo's walked in with AR's or AK's on single point slings you would be weary as well and probably unsnap the holster.
    No, I don't have to admit that.
    Open carry yes Long guns carried in businesses make folks uneasy. Just like smoking use to be the norm in restaurants and well everywhere. It's is also about respecting others rights as well. If your right is effecting others rights then they will take it away.

What right do others have to be secure in their belief that rifles don't exist? That's the only "right" that is violated by seeing a rifle.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Interesting, but still irrelevant. what I really want to know is this:

Allow me to reiterate my point. Since rifle carry in an urban setting is impractical in comparison with open carry of a handgun, it's of course going to be seen as less socially acceptable than carrying a handgun. I am seeing similarities but I don't think open rifle carry will ever benefit the guns rights community. I'm sorry, I just don't see it. Of course, I concede that I could be wrong but I don't think much will change unless open rifle carry becomes practical in the urban setting. All of you keep bringing up this whole thing about rights. Tell me what this would accomplish if legislation was passed banning open rifle carry. Give my he current political climate, I have my doubts such a law would get struck down in court.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Allow me to reiterate my point. Since rifle carry in an urban setting is impractical in comparison with open carry of a handgun, it's of course going to be seen as less socially acceptable than carrying a handgun.
    Let me reiterate my point. That's not what I asked.
    I am seeing similarities
    I did ask that. Thank you for your answer.
    but I don't think open rifle carry will ever benefit the guns rights community. I'm sorry, I just don't see it. Of course, I concede that I could be wrong but I don't think much will change unless open rifle carry becomes practical in the urban setting. All of you keep bringing up this whole thing about rights. Tell me what this would accomplish if legislation was passed banning open rifle carry. Give my he current political climate, I have my doubts such a law would get struck down in court.

and I didn't ask any of that.

I'll repost just the questions I'm still waiting for you to answer:

I'll even help you with the answer: you have no idea. (feel free to change the answer if you disagree)

[proposed answer] No, you don't remember.

Follow up question: since your argument against rifle open carry is the same as the old, debunked arguments against traditional handgun carry, don't you think it's time to make some new arguments, or change sides?
    [proposed answer] No, you'll just stick with what you know. After all, Shannon Watts and her 500 mothers can't be wrong...

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Let me reiterate my point. That's not what I asked. I did ask that. Thank you for your answer.

and I didn't ask any of that.

I'll repost just the questions I'm still waiting for you to answer:

I'll even help you with the answer: you have no idea. (feel free to change the answer if you disagree)

[proposed answer] No, you don't remember.

Follow up question: since your argument against rifle open carry is the same as the old, debunked arguments against traditional handgun carry, don't you think it's time to make some new arguments, or change sides?
    [proposed answer] No, you'll just stick with what you know. After all, Shannon Watts and her 500 mothers can't be wrong...
    For the last time I'll give you my answer about this "traditional handgun carry" you claim I know nothing about. It has practicality and was able to gain enough support from the masses to pass with the support of various groups including the NRA who were able to push shall issue carry laws, the first of which passed in Florida. However, the same said group, the NRA, doesn't even support this rifle carry thing because of the negative backlash that followed. I keep saying it has no practical use and you keep saying as much is irrelevant without any support to back such a claim while I have continued to support everything I have said. You, on the other hand, offer little to no support besides repeating your questions (like I didn't understand them the first time I read them and felt I had answered them, evidently you didn't get that) and then asserting I don't know what I'm talking about although I have conceded, more than once I might add, that I could be wrong in some of my points but they are my opinions backed by what seems to be reasonable evidence. You haven't offered any rebuttals besides the ones I've mentioned and haven't offered any further evidence for your points. Finally, I must apologize, but I have no idea where you're going with the MDA comparison you've made. I just hope you know we're playing right into their hands because they want us to be divided. It's easier to divide and conquer.

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    I see by your last paragraph you have finally admitted you are in an argument and you are no longer in a discussion.

jcwit. It is neither. It is an endurance competition. I have seen it here too many times. Once one side tires and withdraws the other declares victory and they all pat each other on the back. Not worth your time.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I'm all about open carry. But
    If you have to say that word, then you have negated what preceded it. You aren't "all about OC." You're grudgingly accepting of OC on your terms.

you have to admit that if you were in a restaurant eating with your family and 2 yahoo's walked in with AR's or AK's on single point slings you would be weary as well and probably unsnap the holster.

I won't admit it, because it isn't true. The fact that you have characterized someone as a "yahoo" based on nothing but the act of carrying a firearm should be a clear indicator to you that something is amiss. You have accepted the lie that the public gets to pick which rights are acceptable to exercise. That's not freedom. Anyone who claims to support RKBA while simultaneously supporting restrictions on the exercise of legal activities is either a liar or a hypocrite.

Open carry yes Long guns carried in businesses make folks uneasy.
    Blacks being served at the same lunch counters as whites made people uneasy. Blacks drinking from the same water fountain, using the same laundry facilities, riding the same bus, going to the same schools made people uneasy. Heaven forbid we make people uneasy. Let's help them perpetuate the tyranny by behaving as if their irrational perceptions are an accurate representation of reality. I'd rather see a slew of long guns in a restaurant than the 350lb shopper in a size 14 sweat pants with the thong showing. I am beyond uneasy upon seeing that. People are scared of guns because they have only one point of comparison. You're trying to tell me that letting Shannon and her MDA hacks define the issue is better than giving the public an alternative reality?

Just like smoking use to be the norm in restaurants and well everywhere.
    How is this relevant? Not only did smokers not have to deal with their own telling them to hide their cigs, it's a clear violation of property rights and personal rights.

It's is also about respecting others rights as well.
    BS. Nobody is respecting my rights. It's only about respecting the feelings of scared people who don't have an alternative point of view to digest.

If your right is effecting others rights then they will take it away.
    OC does not affect the rights of others.

Motorhead302

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Fulton County
    To the "wiser" gentleman, pointing out all of the foolish actions of today's youth, and holding that your opinion counts more because you're more "experienced", i would like to ask: Where were you thirty or forty years ago, when the serious erosion of our gun rights began? I'm sure your opinions and actions would have been most helpful then, as a preventive measure, rather than hindsight, no?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Well with the way rifles are being plastered all over the media that were used in recent shootings by these psychotic murders left and right one can see it being a social taboo (your words, not mine) so yes they haven't helped. It's sorta like not using curse words to order your food when you go out. It's your right to do so but not socially accepted.
    You didn't answer my question. I asked you if the solution was to GIVE UP THOSE RIGHTS VOLUNTARILY because they were socially frowned upon.

OC a handgun, on the other hand, is becoming more and more socially accepted
    :laugh: And why do you think this is so? All of the people choosing to CC because OC makes the populace 'uneasy?' Do you see the contradiction in your logic?

Although I realize that the point of their protest was to show the inconstancies of Texas' carry laws, their actions haven't seemed to affect the gun owning community favorably as a while. The fact that we're even arguing amongst ourselves so vehemently is proof of this.
    How long did the Civil Rights movement last? And you think we're going to fix all the ills society has with firearms in a time frame shorter than the WNBA season?

The only reason we're arguing amongst ourselves is become some people cling to the mistaken notion that not upsetting the master will allow one to live free.

If you do something that hands your political enemy a propaganda victory does it matter whether facts were distorted? Go ask Senator Mourdock.
    I don't see Kermit Gosnell ending the pro-abortion movement. I don't see NAMBLA ending the pro-homosexuality movement. King going to jail didn't stop Civil Rights. (And by "pro," I mean nothing more than socially acceptable.)

BTW, I told my daughter that I have been labeled an "Anti-Liberty Gun Owner" on INGO. She laughed and didn't believe me; said nobody could actually be that loony to say that.
    Well, to be fair, it's only a half truth. You support liberty as long as it makes you comfortable.

worked in california
    No, it didn't. They didn't hide them in order to try and keep them.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    jcwit. It is neither. It is an endurance competition. I have seen it here too many times. Once one side tires and withdraws the other declares victory and they all pat each other on the back. Not worth your time.

You are quite right.

But I chime in now and then, maybe once a day. Who knows, maybe I'll be the winner and get all the pats on the back. LOL

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    To be honest, it's just a few points I feel I have adequate evidence to back up. I've admitted I could be in the wrong, however, I wish to see evidence that would prove me wrong. I'm not afraid to admit as much and personally believe politicians should have the same practices.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I see by your last paragraph you have finally admitted you are in an argument and you are no longer in a discussion.

I don't recall ever making an assertion to the contrary.

At least it's still fun to read your posts.

For the last time I'll give you my answer about this "traditional handgun carry" you claim I know nothing about. It has practicality and was able to gain enough support from the masses to pass with the support of various groups including the NRA who were able to push shall issue carry laws, the first of which passed in Florida.
    Florida still doesn't have traditional carry. They're still concealed only unless hunting/fishing or en route.
    However, the same said group, the NRA, doesn't even support this rifle carry thing because of the negative backlash that followed. I keep saying it has no practical use and you keep saying as much is irrelevant without any support to back such a claim while I have continued to support everything I have said.
    You haven't proven relevance. In order to make an argument, you can't just make a statement and claim that it supports your assertion
    You, on the other hand, offer little to no support besides repeating your questions (like I didn't understand them the first time I read them and felt I had answered them, evidently you didn't get that) and then asserting I don't know what I'm talking about although I have conceded, more than once I might add, that I could be wrong in some of my points but they are my opinions backed by what seems to be reasonable evidence. You haven't offered any rebuttals besides the ones I've mentioned and haven't offered any further evidence for your points.
    My point is that in the earlier days of traditional/open carry discussion, the exact arguments that you are using against rifle carry were used ad nauseum against handgun traditional carry. Go back and read some threads from 2008-2009 if you want to learn about it.
    Finally, I must apologize, but I have no idea where you're going with the MDA comparison you've made. I just hope you know we're playing right into their hands because they want us to be divided. It's easier to divide and conquer.
    The MDA comparison is pointing out that you're taking their side. They can't divide us. They're outside of us. You are dividing us by saying I'm a gun owner and I'm against what gun owners do.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I don't recall ever making an assertion to the contrary.

At least it's still fun to read your posts.

Florida still doesn't have traditional carry. They're still concealed only unless hunting/fishing or en route. You haven't proven relevance. In order to make an argument, you can't just make a statement and claim that it supports your assertion
    My point is that in the earlier days of traditional/open carry discussion, the exact arguments that you are using against rifle carry were used ad nauseum against handgun traditional carry. Go back and read some threads from 2008-2009 if you want to learn about it.
    The MDA comparison is pointing out that you're taking their side. They can't divide us. They're outside of us. You are dividing us by saying I'm a gun owner and I'm against what gun owners do.
    Well I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who sees the damaging effects of open carry of a rifle in a resturant, as much can be attested here. Unfortunatly, not everyone is as understanding as we are to this (I'm not totally against this form of carry). I for one am not personally all too bothered about it, however, the media has painted these scary "assault" rifles in such a negative picture that such unfavorable backlash is to be expected. I thought the NRA point was relatively clear but I'll endulge deeper. The NRA is the biggest 2nd amendment group in the country and to some, the most powerful lobbyist. Having their support is pretty much vital in getting most gun laws passed (at least, from my political studies, having the support of such interst groups is vital because the way out system works in modern times). That is the relevance I thought would be clear because it was a given.

MDA and groups like them are always trying to divide gun owners because they will do whatever it takes to push their agenda. I'm sorry but I can't help but to disagree with this form of protest, not because I feel it's outside of their rights, but because I don't think it has healthy long term effects for the future of gun owners. I also fail to see the positive results outweighing the negative ones.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom