How have your employers reacted to the new "Parking Lot" Bill?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Also, to back up Scutter's point, if an employer has a real ideological issue with this, you'd better keep in quiet that you have a gun in your car, because an employer in an at will state can fire you for any reason at all, as long as it's a reason not prohibited by law. This includes no reason at all. Then the burden of proof falls to the terminated employee to prove it was for an illegal reason, always a tough row to hoe. Go ask an employment lawyer about such a case. He'll likely tell you about the large retainer he would require to take the case.

Exactly. The moral of the story is that either before or after the law, keep it hidden and keep your mouth shut. Nothing's changed.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    My Employer lets me carry on the job, right now at least. I can even have a mag in the firearm, just can not have one in the chamber...

Aren't you down range?

To answer the OP: The day after it was signed, I overheard my HR manager talking about it in the breakroom. She's one of them. She sounded all breathless "someone could just come in here" :blahblah:. I just leaned over to her and told her that criminals, by definition, wouldn't be bothered with the new law anyway, and walked away.

Between my INGO sticker on the wall of my cube and INGO being a regular occurance in my web browsing history, I'm toast if they want to regardless of whether I actually have a piece in my car.

topash

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Anywhere
    Nothing changed for me.

The owner of the company I work for carries everyday at work and his employees do the same. We can even take firearms to work to work on them. We also have an indoor archery backstop set-up so we can shoot our bows indoors year round. The owner grew up in the woods of Wisconsin and is 74 years young and still at it.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    They would need a warrant regardless. They don't have the right to search your private property just because it's parked on their private property.

Don't get me wrong. I'm ecstatic to see more legislation to return gun rights, I just think our efforts could have been better spent. This whole thing reminds me of the anti's who will vote in favor of a bill that they already know is going to die in committee just so they can claim to be pro-gun at election time. It's a red herring.

I realize they can't search your vehicle, without your consent, without a search warrant. If they feel they want to get a search warrant, the warrant can not say for "suspicion of firearms". They would have to lie and say, he's got stolen pencils in there. If they say he's got stolen pencils in there and a firearm is found but no pencils, I am not even sure it is reported, maybe it is but I am not sure if the police would let the employer stand right there while they conduct a search.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I realize they can't search your vehicle, without your consent, without a search warrant. If they feel they want to get a search warrant, the warrant can not say for "suspicion of firearms". They would have to lie and say, he's got stolen pencils in there. If they say he's got stolen pencils in there and a firearm is found but no pencils, I am not even sure it is reported, maybe it is but I am not sure if the police would let the employer stand right there while they conduct a search.

Again, if you're at the point where your employer feels the need to search your vehicle for any reason, why in the world would you want to continue working there anyway? The trust is gone.

Shadow

AKA: Uncle Shadow
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    In the shadows
    The company i work for came out and said we have a new rule book coming out and to be sure and read it. #1 (in so many words) are lawyers are looking into this new law,,,but we forbid any weapons/firearms on our property,,,rather it be on you personally or in your car. #2 Because we care about you and want you healthy,we also band any type of tobacco on our property,,,you will not be permited to smoke or chew in your car on your brake.

smoking357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Mindin' My Own Business
    I got an interesting e-mail today at work from my employer. Like many companies around the state, they currently prohibit firearms on company property. This of course is within their ability as a private corporation.

Not really. It's a denial of one's civil rights to have an employer deny fundamental rights. An employer should not be able to fire an employee for being Lutheran, Black or a member of a political party. So also should an employer not be able to diminish one's fundamental right to self defense.

Thanks, Mitch.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The corporation can never get a warrant, only the police can,

I think that's pretty well understood and I didn't think it was necessary to explain it in that level of detail. The point was that the company can't just demand to search your car at their whim.

smoking357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Mindin' My Own Business
    I think that's pretty well understood and I didn't think it was necessary to explain it in that level of detail. The point was that the company can't just demand to search your car at their whim.

Do explain it. Many people think that they have to submit to corporate authority, and many think that police authority has been handed to private corporations. Actually, in Indiana, that latter part is true. Every private college police department has police power, and through privatization, many security officers at quasi-government facilities have police power. See, CCA.

Kinda scary.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Not bashing but it would indeed be interesting to see how my former employer would have dealt with this new law, the plant closed July 2009 and the co. is HQ'd in Illinois and has their anti everything policies !!!

Dss21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    I like the "Until further notice" part. Do you think if they find out they cant prohibit you from keeping a firearm in your car they will send out a email that says " ok bring them on in " ?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I like the "Until further notice" part. Do you think if they find out they cant prohibit you from keeping a firearm in your car they will send out a email that says " ok bring them on in " ?

I doubt that they will go that far. I would expect that they will send a follow up notification stating the changes (if any) to the employee handbook.

I did get a very professional e-mail back (i.e. not a form letter) to my response thanking me for actually following up and providing input. Some might be skeptical and think that is just lip service, but I do know the individual who sent it (and a few who are likely involved in reviewing the policy) and do trust that they will provide a follow up.

bft131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    We have acutally had a Pro-2A dept for a long time. When I was initially hired you just needed written permission from the Chief to have your firearm in your vehicle, that policy went bye-bye about 4 years ago and we now do not need to notify anyone and just need to have our firearms secured in our vehicle...Everyone around here has known we probably outgun the LEO's anyway.....So we're backup...LOL!!

smoking357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Mindin' My Own Business
    I work at USS in Gary...entering the gate is a sign that reads....Entering grounds is consent for vehicle and personal search...

That's funny. And who says corporations don't have a sense of humor?

During some office talk, one day, I talked about suing for windshield replacement one of the gravel trucks that kicks rocks over the road. This lady said "but they have signs on their trucks saying "not responsible for broken windshields"." I responded, "yeah, but I have a sign on my car that says "gravel trucks are responsible for broken windshields."

She looked truly stunned, and she had no response. How do people get raised to think corporation + sign = whatever a corporation wants?

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    heres what i see happening. A legal way for employers to get around the law and get their way.

They could issue a new policy that says NO employee "without permission" can go to their vehicle while on the clock. if they do then they may receive diciplinary action up to and including termination.

Think its possible?

Top Bottom