• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Finally got the chrono out and did some tests the other night with my Martin. Looks like I'm shooting approx 250-254 FPS according to my Chrony. Not bad, but it could be higher. Just wondering how fast everyone else is shooting. I'm thinking about a new bow in a year or two and want to see some real world speeds from people, not just the IBO.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    Elite GT500 @ 70# & 29" draw, shooting a 425 gr arrow, pushes 290-292 fps last time I checked it.

I haven't checked any of my other bows.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I honestly have no idea. I have a whisker biscuit which I'm sure is slowing it down however, as already stated, it's fast enough for sure. Especially if I do my part and the deer is relaxed.

I'm guessing it's pushing at minimum 280 fps. Specs say 318fps ibo.

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    303 FPS with a 28" draw. Did I mention my draw weight is only 52#? :)

What does your arrow weigh??

I shoot a mathews switchback/switchback xt (ones a backup).

Both 29.5"
    both pushing 465 gr arrows
    both are maxed out (bows shoot better maxed out on weight)

The original switchback throws arrows about 270 and the XT gets another 5 fps usually.

All this said, I'd take either one of these bows 30 fps slower over 30 fps faster. You have to keep in mind that speed = noise USUALLY.

I've never lost a deer because my bows are too slow and I never ever will. I've lost deer for other reasons (dumb shot, etc) but not because my bow doesn't shoot 330 fps. You're never going to "beat" a deer that jumps the string. Ever. Learn how to read an animal and aim a little lower on nervous deer.

The ONLY reason I could see shooting a crazy fast bow is for long range hunting. If I was going exclusively after elk every year, I might step up and buy faster bows just so you could have a little more room for error between 80 and 100 yards. But mine do just fine out to 70-80 (not on whitetail mind you) with the help of range finders. Spending time shooting known "off" yardages (37, 43, 52, etc) makes you learn how to split pins and it's automatic after that.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    What does your arrow weigh??

Somewhere between 330 grains and 340 grains, by my figuring. My bow is rated at 350+ IBO, then I sent it off to Mike Carter (Crackers on ArcheryTalk) for a new string and cables. He managed to massage another 15 FPS or so out of it. He chronographed it at his shop in Missouri, and I've also chronographed it at a friend's house. Believe it or not, my On-Target software is pretty darn close to the right speed as well.

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Somewhere between 330 grains and 340 grains, by my figuring. My bow is rated at 350+ IBO, then I sent it off to Mike Carter (Crackers on ArcheryTalk) for a new string and cables. He managed to massage another 15 FPS or so out of it. He chronographed it at his shop in Missouri, and I've also chronographed it at a friend's house. Believe it or not, my On-Target software is pretty darn close to the right speed as well.

That's smoking for 52#. I always back one of my bows off for turkey season but I shoot 70-73# a whole lot better than 55#!

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    That's smoking for 52#. I always back one of my bows off for turkey season but I shoot 70-73# a whole lot better than 55#!

If they ever release a 40# bow that will break 300 FPS, I'll be dropping to 40#. LOL! I started out in archery 23 years ago at 70#, then after a few years dropped to 61#. I shot 61# for probably 15 years before dropping to 52# in 2008. I can still draw 70#, but cannot think of any reason why "I" need to.

Top Bottom