• ...and so much more!
  • BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Whenever LEO go flying past me I always tell myself that "They must be on a mission"
    Whether they are after a BG or have to take a poop, a mission is a mission.

Two buddies and I were on my way home on Mother's Day a couple years ago. I was the last day of our four day motorcycle trip and bad weather was on its way so we were doing almost 80 mph. We were traveling on 70 East when we were passed by a red impala with blacked out windows and a Dare license plate. We followed the car from Terre Haute to Indy at 95 mph. We still talk about that trip but not around the wives. :cool:
    Apparently, what you had was a "radar picket". That is somebody that can afford a ticket driving a quarter mile in front of you as bait.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Dare plate is red flag for wanna-be cop. No police car will EVER have one. They buy "cop looking" cars and put on a DARE plate to make it look "official".

I thought the "official" look was 100 antenna and a pair of handcuffs hanging from the spot light?
    When I bought my Crown Vic back in October, the guy I bought it from had a pair of handcuffs hanging off the light that included in the sale, one of the first things I removed.
    I refuse to remove the Ram push bar though!

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Or sheriff assn plates...

I see these on Crown Vics and Dodge Chargers quite often... with the spotlight and all.

At what point can you get someone for "impersonating an officer", when it's really obvious it's what they're trying to do? Such as driving in an intimidating way around other people.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I see these on Crown Vics and Dodge Chargers quite often... with the spotlight and all.

At what point can you get someone for "impersonating an officer", when it's really obvious it's what they're trying to do? Such as driving in an intimidating way around other people.

The statute requires that the person who is impersonating be doing something to get someone else to submit to their authority under the pretense that if they do not then they will be arrested.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    The statute requires that the person who is impersonating be doing something to get someone else to submit to their authority under the pretense that if they do not then they will be arrested.

Hell -
    My X-wife's been doing that for years. :n00b:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

More than that. I was in my personal car on the interstate when I spotted a Crown Vic with a spotlight and several antennas in the lane next to me. As I was passing it, I saw the DARE plate. He jumped behind me as I passed and rode my butt. I was just WAITING for that doofus to light me up. He likely saw my FOP plate and thought better of his actions...he quickly backed off. I HATE posers.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    More than that. I was in my personal car on the interstate when I spotted a Crown Vic with a spotlight and several antennas in the lane next to me. As I was passing it, I saw the DARE plate. He jumped behind me as I passed and rode my butt. I was just WAITING for that doofus to light me up. He likely saw my FOP plate and thought better of his actions...he quickly backed off. I HATE posers.

I enjoyed the story from one of the cycle cops about how he got pulled over by a wanna-be and used said wanna-be's own handcuffs to detain him until the real police showed up.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

Can non-LEO "light you up" even? Is it legal to have strobes/red-blue in a non police car?

If one were to get "pulled over" by a poser, how should they react? What is an immediate way to tell that the poser is, in fact, a poser?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    display of forward facing red/blue lights in a non-police vehicle is not legal.
    Per state law, to enforce traffic law a LEO must EITHER be in a fully marked police vehicle OR in full agency uniform. If someone you believe to be a poser lights you up, call 911 and ask for the real cops. If you decide to talk to the supposed poser, ask for ID and for a supervisor. Real cops will have ID and must call for a supervisor if you request one. If you are in fear of your life/safety from the poser (fear other than the fact that they are a poser) GTFO and proceed to a public, well-lit area or police/fire station.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Can non-LEO "light you up" even? Is it legal to have strobes/red-blue in a non police car?

If one were to get "pulled over" by a poser, how should they react? What is an immediate way to tell that the poser is, in fact, a poser?

Clue Number One.

68_F100

Expert
    Rating - 93.9%
    31   2   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    North Salem
    I was returning from Evansville this afternoon around 2:30/2:45 Northbound on I-69 about mile 50 when I glanced at my drivers side mirror and spotted a white Crown Vic with roof lights nearly on me. I glanced at my speed and went Oh S_ _ _ _ as I was up close to 80. Well the cruiser went by me like I was sitting by the side of the road and within 2-3 minutes was out of sight. No lights or siren, just haulin. So my question is how fast are they allowed to go when the lights and siren are off? Traffic was sparse, so if a silent alarm, could probably see it, but damn, he was moving!

Should have followed him till he stopped and asked him.

JMoses

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    I received a phone call once from a guy who took possession of a new Crown Vic back in the late 90's. He said that he was running 130mph and felt as though he thought he had a quarter pedal left to go. It's all about weight ratio. Once they are loaded down with gear and radio equipment, that top end falls off drastically.

He may have gone 130 down hill with a tail wind, but he didn't have 1/4 pedal left. Not in a 90's Vic

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I received a phone call once from a guy who took possession of a new Crown Vic back in the late 90's. He said that he was running 130mph and felt as though he thought he had a quarter pedal left to go. It's all about weight ratio. Once they are loaded down with gear and radio equipment, that top end falls off drastically.
    Most of them are governed to around 130, that is not the actual top end. I know of one agency that used to rechip them to remove the limit and iirc they were able to push 155 in slick top configuration. Those were 2005-2010 cars with 4.6's, not the 5.0's of the 90s. However, they were not terribly stable at that speed and the 4.6's usually blew if that speed was maintained for long.

Heck, it isn't that uncommon for the governed ones to blow if abused long enough.

i dunno if the chargers hold up better or not.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I don't really care if they speed when not on a call as long as they stay safe. But when they are speeding, c'mon, don't be a fool and pass them. Some time ago I came up on a state trooper on the interstate, eased in several car lengths behind him in the right lane. He was doing 65 in a 55. Ok, 65's not all that bad, he either didn't notice me or didn't seem to care, so I stayed with him.

After a few miles I saw another car coming up in the left lane, not too fast, but slightly faster than us. The guy kept going, eventually easing past the trooper, and as soon as his rear bumper cleared the cruiser's front bumper, the cop lit him up. I thought DAYAMN! The cop is already 10 mph over, and you have to try to squeeze out another couple MPH?

Top Bottom