• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Regarding maps: You can download USGS topographic maps from the USGS web site: The USGS Store - One stop shop for all your maps, world, United States, state, wall decor, historic, planetary, topographic, trail, hiking, foreign, satellite, digital

If that doesn't work, you can go to Welcome to the USGS - U.S. Geological Survey and follow the links.

Files download as PDF's which you can print to your hearts content if you want hardcopies.

Having good topographic maps is especially helpful if you're going off-road.

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton

mrw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    You used to be able to get a state map at any rest area. Not sure if they still do that.

kycrawler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    i also have one of the county road maps , cut it apart at the bindings write a page no. in the lower corners and have it laminated and 3 hole punched and put it back together with binder rings . Then you can make overlays with any cache points or other areas of interest .

While i am all for ccw i would not go without a longgun . Al you pistol is for is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never left in the first place . Imho perfect application/ reason to have a registered sbr either a 10.5 inch barreled ar 15 or a tc conteder/encore sbr with a folding stock

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I'm disappointed.

[FONT=&quot]You find yourself EXACTLY 100 miles from home at the point of impact. If you have alternative communications and have a ditch area then you are exactly 100 miles from that[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]

and

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]You have everything you would normally carry in your vehicle and nothing more.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]

are directly opposed to one another. I have a water resistant (to 3' of submersion) handheld tranceiver with two spare battery packs in the car. AND an all band/all mode tranceiver with enough equipment to talk to the world IN the car at all times.

I should Edit and say. Outside of communications equipment, and the ability to defend myself, I'm pretty unprepared.

[/FONT]

Last edited:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    [FONT=&quot]#1) How long would it take you to walk 100 miles? Normally this could be done in 2 – 5 days with a clear road. However, people are beginning to panic and loot. The main road isn’t completely safe. How far do you think you travel, presuming that you are being cautious and not just tooling down the road? I would think that in a SHTF situation you would not just stroll down the road but you would be cautious, or am I wrong?[/FONT]

Would not walk, would try and secure a bicycle. Plenty around and could easily do 50 miles in a day, even out of shape.

[FONT=&quot]#2) What factors would determine whether you got off of the main road or stayed on it?[/FONT]

Depends on the location and it was safe or not, safest way back determines this decision.

[FONT=&quot]#3) When would you sleep, night or day?[/FONT]

Again safety factor determines this, want to remain off the scope of radar as much as possible. In a urban area, may sleep during the day and remain camouflaged, or if in a very rural area sleep at night so I can build a fire for warmth and hot food.

[FONT=&quot]#4) What type of area would you look for to sleep at? Would you walk along the road until you found a motel or would you camp?[/FONT]

Since I carry a tarp in my BoB and have appropriate clothing with me for the weather at all times I would use it as a tent, sleep out side unless I can stumble across a primitive shelter like an old barn or sort.

[FONT=&quot]#5) Would you approach any homes and ask for food, water, or a place to sleep? If you did do you carry anything specifically to trade?[/FONT]

Since I carry 3 MRE's, 2 cans of pork and beans and a can of spam, I would only as a last result because of a health issue and would not ask to stay, would not want to make people uneasy and feel threatened.

[FONT=&quot]#6) Would you try to work with others who are also trying to get home or would you avoid them? As most are NOT as prepared as you this means you are carrying stuff that they want or need.[/FONT]

Try and avoid, unless there is some sort of public safety (police, civil defense/fire dept ect.. ) and only if they was not detaining people.

[FONT=&quot]#7) If you live in a major city in Indiana (Indianapolis, Fort Wayne, Evansville, South Bend, or Gary) do you have a special route in mind to make it home in the urban landscape?[/FONT]

Do not live in, but depending on where I am at, I may have to go through or on the outskirts of Indianapolis to get home, so yes I would have to have a specific safe route, determined depending on where I am when this happens.

No matter how much thought is put into a subject like this, all of this can and will change on a hourly basis, and your ability to think in advance and on the move greatly helps or hinders you chances of a quick and safe return.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Agent007,

I presume that this may be possible to do. And in the scenario I presented the back roads will NOT be clogged. I agree with this as it would be basically impossible to happen.

So, HOW would you "acquire" a vehicle? Do you become a thief? Or do you have something to trade? And if you do have something to trade, what is it?

If you become a thief do you have the skills necessary to hotwire a vehicle or will you just kill the owner and take it? Or, possibly, would you stalk a home and steal the car out of the driveway?

In these questions I presume to know no answer nor to pass judgment, but your answer seems a bit presumptive and I would like to inquire as to details please.

Regards,

Doug

I'm acquiring a vehicle, preferable a motorcycle. I'm not walking 100 miles, and I seriously doubt that the back roads would be "clogged." I'll be home in a few hours, not a few days.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Lars,

My scenario allows communication not only possibly by texting on a cell, which may get through in time, but whatever you may have in your vehicle. No one has said they would text "home" and wait for communication, but that was not prohibited.

So, presuming you have your alternative comm I simply posit that you are either 100 miles from home or 100 miles from a predetermined "ditch" location, your choice.

However, nothing stops you from simply calling for help w/ alternative communication and asking friends/family to risk their lives to come save you. Is that what you are trying to get at? And if it is, they would still have 100 miles to get to you.

So, if that is what you would want to do, would you throw up a tent 10' off of the main highway (that is clogged) where your accident occurred, or would you travel to some other location? If you would travel to another location what would it be and what would be your criteria of finding said location?

If you do travel is your comm capable of traveling with you?

Regards,

Doug

I'm disappointed.
    [FONT=&quot]are directly opposed to one another. I have a water resistant (to 3' of submersion) handheld tranceiver with two spare battery packs in the car. AND an all band/all mode tranceiver with enough equipment to talk to the world IN the car at all times.

I should Edit and say. Outside of communications equipment, and the ability to defend myself, I'm pretty unprepared.

[/FONT]

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Lars,

My scenario allows communication not only possibly by texting on a cell, which may get through in time, but whatever you may have in your vehicle. No one has said they would text "home" and wait for communication, but that was not prohibited.

So, presuming you have your alternative comm I simply posit that you are either 100 miles from home or 100 miles from a predetermined "ditch" location, your choice.

However, nothing stops you from simply calling for help w/ alternative communication and asking friends/family to risk their lives to come save you. Is that what you are trying to get at? And if it is, they would still have 100 miles to get to you.

So, if that is what you would want to do, would you throw up a tent 10' off of the main highway (that is clogged) where your accident occurred, or would you travel to some other location? If you would travel to another location what would it be and what would be your criteria of finding said location?

If you do travel is your comm capable of traveling with you?

Regards,

Doug

I think I'd start out not wanting to travel, but rather take enough communications equipment off the road with me to determine exactly what's happening, where, What is affected etc.

Then attempt to contact my family with the intent, not of having them come rescue me, but rather secure themselves.

From there, I'd have to determine if I'm walking, hitching a ride on back country roads, or staying put. Which would be directly affected by how bad things really were. I don't live in the large city, but I live close enough to it to be concerned of spill over.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    Good post. There are alot what ifs for me like do I have the wife and kids with me?what gear do I have with me? What vehicle am I driving? and so on. I think I could cover 100 miles in 3-5 days if by myself but it going to be more like 7-9 days if with the family.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Lars,

Presume then w/ your comm ability the family's position is secure, but tenuous. I base this on the information you have provided about "spillover". Is their position under siege? No. Could that change quickly if groups from "the big city" head out? Yes.

If you camp and wait 12 hours the news is: #1) The President is dead; the President made it out; the Vice President is dead; the VP made it out. All information is conflicting and honestly no one knows for sure what is going on. What is 100% certain is that neither POTUS or VP have made any television or radio appearances in the last 12 hours!

Also, the Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi is the acting President (she was in California and out of any area hit). The President Pro Tempore of the Senate Robert Byrd is acting as President (he was home in West Virginia). Of course, neither of these two has been sworn in by the CJ, but in such a situation the military isn't questioning "legal status."

So with family at least temporarily safe would you have them stay put or "bug out?" I know I am not giving you much information, but in such a situation I don't honestly think you would have anything solid to go by. It would be a gut reaction at best, and your information is lousy. The situation is as close to SHTF as possible without an immediate threat, but that could change at any time.

DarinB,

I limited variables in this mental exercise on purpose. There is no one with you. I didn't want multiple issues complicating matters for this thought process. That way everyone who reads this and has to think about it is in the same boat.

Good question on the vehicle. For this it would be "your" vehicle, the one you drive the most. If you have several that are "yours" then I leave it to you to decide which you would take alone on a moderately long road trip.

Do you think you would travel so quickly on foot given the increased danger? I do not doubt that you are physically capable to do so, but I question doing so with an increase of potential threats when traveling. If so then that is cool. Would you stick to back roads, main roads, or go cross country?

To All,

The initial purpose of this mental exercise is to make us think about how we would use what we have in the car to get home in a crisis, presuming that the vehicle is unusable. That variable has to be limited or there is no deep thought about how to react in a crisis.

I also thought it would be good to think about using my own vehicular BoB. I have one, but can I use it well? My answer is regrettably "no." Supply wise I am better than most. Mentally I am better than most. Physically I need help but can get through it. Camping/training wise I am your average person who does not camp out (this means Doug sucks).

By the way, when I say I am "better than most" in supply that does not mean than most here! It means most of your average Americans who do not contemplate a SHTF scenario. I am probably poorly or only marginally equipped compared to many reading this.:rolleyes:

Having role played in many holocaust and post-holocaust settings I would see this as my only advantage.

I will try to post my own answers and let you critique my response. :D

Regards,

Doug

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Great OP Doug. It's always fun to think about. I suppose my answers would vary. I could see myself doing several of the things the other posters recommended. It all depends on the situation. I live my life through improve.....I would act no different in this situation. If I needed to get home to my family, I would focus on the prize and not hesitate one bit. I would be constantly aware of positive alternatives to walking. I can do 100 miles on a bicycle in 8-12 hours no problem. The first bike I saw, I would use. If the owner was present, I would barter to his fancy. At that point, I would trade a gun for 2 wheels. I carry 2 pistols, so I'd still have one concealed. If no owner was present, then I would have no problem taking the bike. If I saw a nicer bike along the way, I would trade up. If I hitched a ride, I would do anything to keep the bike with me.The sense of urgency to get back to my family would be overwhelming. We can fantasize about infinite scenarios. It's good practice and frankly, it can be fun. However, there are also an infinite number of variables that will appear within this situation if it were to happen for real. We can never be truly prepared. I firmly believe that this situation would be most successfully handled by those who are above average in confidence and determination. Physical shape would also be at the top of the list. You must have a strong will and be able to make quick decisions on the fly. If you have the mentality and the physicality, you're giving yourself the best shot.

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Saw this and thought it might be fun to dig back up

#1) How long would it take you to walk 100 miles? Normally this could be done in 2 – 5 days with a clear road. However, people are beginning to panic and loot. The main road isn’t completely safe. How far do you think you travel, presuming that you are being cautious and not just tooling down the road? I would think that in a SHTF situation you would not just stroll down the road but you would be cautious, or am I wrong?

Walking is going to suck. Your main concern in any sit is "WATER" and if youre walking youre going to need some. Now is the time to get a bag and assemble it with the items you need and keep it in the car. Carrying water this distance would seem impractical. Find a service station or grocery store (or keep some in your car) and get a few water bottles. Drink as needed and refill at homes along the way, using their outside hose. Or refill at businesses you come across.

#2) What factors would determine whether you got off of the main road or stayed on it?

What I "felt" about the situation. When 9-11 happened there was a run on the gas stations in Lake and Porter Cos. Did I feel threatened... No. As long as Chicago wasnt hit by anything then I didnt perceive an issue. Probably a little naive, wont happen again.

The nice thing about being a firefighter is I could probably locate a firehouse and sleep and eat and grab whatever supplies I needed. Not just in Indiana either. It may not be available due to circumstances but it could be a fall back if desperation dictated. Transportation might possibly be acquired as well.

#3) When would you sleep, night or day?

Depends on the weather and which portion of the state I was in. Traveling at night in unfamiliar country doesnt sound like a good time. I dont foresee groups of armed looters forming at this point and believe most folks are good and would rather help than take advantage. May not be the case in a month when supplies dry up but for the time being its more than likely to deal with folks for the most part.

MOST folks during Katrina already had 3-4 days of food in their homes. If you have a place you live and stay then more than likely you can get by for 3 days without going to the store. It was Day 5 when the looting really began. If youre out traipsing the countryside its something to keep in mind.

#4) What type of area would you look for to sleep at? Would you walk along the road until you found a motel or would you camp?

Im looking for a fire station. They mostly have generators and double as community centers during emergencies. They are everywhere and we take care of brothers.

#5) Would you approach any homes and ask for food, water, or a place to sleep? If you did do you carry anything specifically to trade?

Sure if Im still within my 5 day time frame. Would tend to get a little more cautious afterwords

#6) Would you try to work with others who are also trying to get home or would you avoid them? As most are NOT as prepared as you this means you are carrying stuff that they want or need.

If folks are still going to work and not staying home then I think the social fabric is still intact at this point. When the breakdown begins you would see police and firemen not leaving their homes so they could stay and protect their families. That would be the point where municipal services cease. If authority is not coming to work today the bad guys will soon take note and begin to take advantage. I wouldnt want to be on the road at that point.

#7) If you live in a major city in Indiana (Indianapolis, Fort Wayne, Evansville, South Bend, or Gary) do you have a special route in mind to make it home in the urban landscape?

The east portion of Lake Co is just an extension of Chicagos suburbs. To get home I would need to make my way through Portage and Hobart... I dont see the need to exercise E and E maneuvers this close to home.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    WOW thread from the dead!

I still don't understand people's aversion to carrying a rifle in a SHTF situation. I wanna look like the most well armed individual out there! I want folks to see my rifle , my green canvas bag fulla magazines and the handgun on my hip and assume I know how to use them and get outta my way!

Top Bottom