How does this make it through Smith & Wesson's quality control?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    I know "things aren't what they used to be" and "they just don't make em like they used to" but I was completely blown away that Smith and Wesson would let this leave their factory.

Just went to pick up an online order from budsgunshop and this is what they had sent..... Definitely wasn't going to accept this transfer.

Now I'm mad cause I have to wait even longer to enjoy that "new gun feeling".

Plus, I liked the serial number on this one "xxxx-0666"

20160325_164203_zpsopakwwl6.jpg

20160325_164234-1_zpsejnkcpkb.jpg

Screenshot_2016-03-25-17-00-59_zpspgvn83gr.png

20160325_164209_zpsahoveikx.jpg

20160325_164234-1_zpsejnkcpkb.jpg

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Every time someone asks me how the new S&W guns compare to the old ones I get shouted down. The old S&W is gone folks. It's never coming back. If you want a nice S&W find a vintage model. Believe it or not - that's not how bad they get. They get MUCH worse. My favorite example is the guy from a couple of years back who received a new six shot revolver but with flutes cut in the cylinder for a 7 shot. One of the flute cuts was cut VERY close to one of the chambers. How did THAT make it out the door? I'm telling you - they're stamping this junk out like cheap Harbor Freight wrenches. I couldn't care less how much they have spent on CAD/CAM machines. Nobody's looking at what they're doing. It's time for them to wake up or go under. I HATE companies that ride on a respected old name and stamp it on crap. I was very lucky to have worked in the gun business 30 years ago and was able to pick and choose from S&W's finest models when they were hand fitted by old men. They will never be sold. Fortunately S&W made tons of really nice guns and then everyone in the U.S. caught the Glock disease and gave up on revolvers. There are plenty of old ones out there but you gotta dig them out. But they're worth it. jfed85 - your example appears to have gone through some "re fitting" AFTER it was finished (and probably on its way to shipping). They should have refinished entire gun. The frame/crane gap should have gotten the whole gun rejected.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I HATE companies that ride on a respected old name and stamp it on crap.

It's so common, there's actually a term for it. "Reputation mining."

It's a shame when you have to research 'the good years' when buying guns of various manufacturers, but that's the reality.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    The guy at the gun shop (indy trading post) referred to the marks under the barrel where the cylinder is obviously scraping as "the nature of the beast" then proceeded to pull 2 j frames from his case that had that same mark. I can't even figure out what caused the huge gash above the cylinder that was deep enough to actually scrape into the metal finish of the gun.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    "nature of the beast"? Oh, please........... Some dude hammered that thing together. Instead of fitting the parts so they mate - they are just assembling them like a lawn mower.

Last edited:

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    I have had 2 M&P and both had their iron sights misaligned. My current and newly purchase carry, I haven't sent back yet for sight re-alignment. I dunno if they actually test fired the firearms both clamped or handheld. I swear they don't as 3/4 of my M&Ps I had to be send back for warranty services. My wife's M&P carry is dead accurate out of the box, but not the other 3.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    100% sure you bought a NIB gun from Bud's?

This morning I had 6 S&W products. All relatively "new".

None of them were in condition such as this.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    I'm curious on the next step when you wouldn't accept the transfer.

Had to contact buds and get a "return authorization number" for the ffl, then buds gave me the option of a refund or a replacement. . I chose replacement this time, we shall see how the next one looks.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    They send their 2nds to online retailers that give discounts.

The good guns go to LGS where they know the buyers will Coon Finger before buying.

Buy Local!!!!!!!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom