How do you store your defensive semi-auto pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Im curious to know how do you guys store the handgun(s) that you use for home defense.Particularly your semi-auto pistol(s).
    First of all do you keep it locked in a safe or just stored in a closet or drawer?
    Do you keep it loaded?
    Both magazine full and one in the chamber?
    Just the magazine full and the chamber empty?
    A magazine ready to go next to the empty gun?
    Maybe you have some kind of lock on the gun itself?
    Anything else?

I know some of you carry your handgun when you are at home.I just want to know how you store it when its not on your person.Like when you go to bed (I know some probably sleep with their holster on :rolleyes:).

I personnaly keep it locked in a safe (to be sure that non-authorized people cannot get to it, both burglars and visitors) and with the magazine full inside the gun but the chamber empty for extra safety.
    It doesnt take much to rack the slide and I dont think that the noise it makes it a problem.

Thanks for your answers. :yesway:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Im curious to know how do you guys store the handgun(s) that you use for home defense.Particularly your semi-auto pistol(s).
    -Snip-

When I'm at home, it's chambered and within arm's reach.
    If I leave the house, I usually always take it with me.
    If I leave and not take it with me, I don't make the mistake of hiding it in a place "they'd never find it", I lock it up.
    I don't want to come home and have my own gun used on me.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    First of all do you keep it locked in a safe or just stored in a closet or drawer? - Small (nightstand-style) gun safe
    Do you keep it loaded? - yes
    Both magazine full and one in the chamber? - Yes
    [STRIKE]Just the magazine full and the chamber empty?
    A magazine ready to go next to the empty gun?[/STRIKE]
    Maybe you have some kind of lock on the gun itself? No, just the safe.
    Anything else? - flashlight next to the safe.

I know some of you carry your handgun when you are at home.I just want to know how you store it when its not on your person.Like when you go to bed (I know some probably sleep with their holster on :rolleyes:).
    Answers above. Basically, I store it like a carry it. If SHTF, I don't want to remember if it is loaded or not, chambered or not, etc....

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Lockbox in my closet, locked up unless I'm there.
    Full mag +1
    tac light next to it

It, along with all of my other firearms are outside the common area of the house. My kids are aware and have heard the 4 rules enough from me to not mess around in Daddy's closet. I prefer to have one in the pipe. When it comes time to use it, I'd rather it be point and shoot without having to fidget with the darn thing.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    My EDC stays loaded in my holster. When I get home, it's always kept within reach.
    When I'm in bed, the samething. Always within reach.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    At work: in car.
    Sleeping: holstered in finger activated safe. Shotty under bed is nightime gun.
    Rest of the time: holstered on hip with one in the chamber(always have one in chamber so it is ready should I need it).

I do not un-holster, un-load, or manipulate the firearm in order to put it into the safe. Doing so increases the risk of a ND and there no absolutely no reason to continually load & un-load my SD pistol. Bullet setback would be another issue doing this. I want it ready should I grab it from the safe. My wife knows that you just press the trigger to shoot it, no fumbling necessary.

Menace67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Noblesville
    If it's not next to me while I'm sleeping it's in my gun safe in my closet. I don't chamber a round incase someone grabs it then I know I can try and grab it off of them. Inside my gun case I have 8 mags for my xd 40 full I also have my AR15 locked and loaded with 15 full mags plus a home defense shotgun locked and loaded with extra shells also. As my fiancé says I'm ready for war lol. I just tell her she will be thankful if any of it is ever needed :)

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    First of all do you keep it locked in a safe or just stored in a closet or drawer? Push button lock box.
    Do you keep it loaded? Yes.
    Both magazine full and one in the chamber? Yes.
    Just the magazine full and the chamber empty? N/A
    A magazine ready to go next to the empty gun? N/A
    Maybe you have some kind of lock on the gun itself? No.
    Anything else? It's either on my hip or in the lock box. Too many kids in my house. I follow the same ritual every time. My wife's loaded revolver is also in there. And a flashlight. Darn kids are always taking my flashlights and running down the batteries. :)

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    safely!

i do wanna caution those of you with children that you should consider what anti-gun govt workers view this site before you start talking about how you store your guns in the house that you also have kids with. what we consider safe and what some others consider safe might be 2 different things. just dont wanna see anyone get bit unfairly

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    SNIP
    I personnaly keep it locked in a safe (to be sure that non-authorized people cannot get to it, both burglars and visitors) and with the magazine full inside the gun but the chamber empty for extra safety.
    It doesnt take much to rack the slide and I dont think that the noise it makes it a problem.

Keeping your defensive firearm locked in a safe with no round in the chamber is basically giving a BG a 15+ second head start on killing you.

Think about it, you're awoken from a sleep by your front door being crashed in from multiple intruders.

You are not going to be coherent enough to open a safe, grab your firearm and rack the slide to defend yourself before a BG turns you into worm food. Someone who breaks down the door is not going to be lolly-gagging around taking their own sweet time, they will on a mission and in a hurry to complete it before they have a chance to be caught.

You may insist you are, but you're not.
    You're not some long lost relative of Flash Gordon and move that fast.

It's nothing more than a paper weight or chunk of metal till there's a round in the chamber.

So do yourself and family a favor, load a round in it and keep it in a close hidden place where the kids don't know where it is at night like a nylon holster mounted to the backside of the head board or night stand beside the bed. That extra 10 seconds or so may be the time that saves your life.

Menace67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Noblesville
    I bought one of those magnetic gun holders from the gun show that I am going to put onto the back of headboard so it's out of sight and easy to get to.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Keeping your defensive firearm locked in a safe with no round in the chamber is basically giving a BG a 15+ second head start on killing you.

Think about it, you're awoken from a sleep by your front door being crashed in from multiple intruders.

You are not going to be coherent enough to open a safe, grab your firearm and rack the slide to defend yourself before a BG turns you into worm food. Someone who breaks down the door is not going to be lolly-gagging around taking their own sweet time, they will on a mission and in a hurry to complete it before they have a chance to be caught.

You may insist you are, but you're not.
    You're not some long lost relative of Flash Gordon and move that fast.

It's nothing more than a paper weight or chunk of metal till there's a round in the chamber.

So do yourself and family a favor, load a round in it and keep it in a close hidden place where the kids don't know where it is at night like a nylon holster mounted to the backside of the head board or night stand beside the bed. That extra 10 seconds or so may be the time that saves your life.

I think its very dangerous to keep a gun loaded or not where you think its hidden from kids.Kids can find anything.That's why so many accidents happend.Because gun owners thought that "kids would never find the gun".
    Also it takes me less than 4 seconds (I timed it) to open my safe, grab the gun and rack the slide.Not 15 seconds.
    I dont want to come home and find my gun in the hands of a bad guy, its why its locked in a safe.I dont want kids or anyone who visits my home to get access to my gun.
    I rather lose 4 seconds while I open my safe rather than having a kid shot himself with my own gun or someone shot me or my wife with my own gun.
    I also sometimes keep the gun loaded next to me but if im away from the gun then its locked.

Last edited:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I think its very dangerous to keep a gun loaded or not where you think its hidden from kids.Kids can find anything.That's why so many accidents happend.Because gun owners thought that "kids would never find the gun".
    Also it takes me less than 4 seconds to open my safe, grab the gun and rack the slide.Not 15 seconds.
    I dont want to come home and find my gun in the hands of a bag guy, its why its locked in a safe.I dont want kids or anyone who visits my home to get access to my gun.
    I rather lose 4 seconds while I open my safe rather than having a kid shot himself with my own gun or someone shot me or my wife with my own gun.
    I also sometimes keep the gun loaded next to me but if im away from the gun then its locked.

I think you're missing my point, it is purely while you are there in bed, not any other time.

Now on those 4 seconds "Flash Gordon" I bet you did this while you're fully awake and have your factions about you, heck you should be able to do it blind folded with one hand tied behind your back in that time. You will not be able to do that coming out of a deep sleep.

I'm not going to believe that unless there actual video and active time stamp on it to prove it.

natetheace

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Decatur, IN
    I keep mine on me or on top of my safe in the bedroom. The only way I empty the gun is out the barrel.
    As my children get bigger, I am going to have to get a finger activated safe for my night stand. I am not going to have my guns found by my children. In my line of work, safety is always preaching accident prevention so everyone can go home safe. So i try to have the same attitude at home. Just like the 4 rules of gun safety.
    My:twocents:!

sanzo87

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Muncie IN for now
    I keep mine on my night stand fully loaded one in the chamber when I sleep also i have a led flashlight. Other wise it is on me or with in reach fully loaded one in the chamber always. Also, before anyone says anything about kids I have none. I do not see the point in the safe when I am sleeping right next to my firearm. It takes time to open that I would not have if I were been awakened from a deep sleep(and I know this because I know my self and how I am when I am awakened). I know some people will say something about the thumb scan(or quick access) small lock boxes yet there are many times they do not take the scan properly(or you may fumble the code) and you have to repeat it. As far as gun locks go they take much to much time in my opinion to get off. But what this all comes down to is what you feel safest with on a personal level. Be it what you feel you can or can not do. If you trust that you have taught your children well enough not to mess with the firearms etc... At least this is how I feel and what I do personally.

Top Bottom