• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    Biometric safe close at hand; opened in just a few seconds, which the large beasties roaming the house are sure to give me.

As for those leaving a loaded gun accessible to children while you sleep, I'm glad your kids are well-trained. Mine are too. But I'm not betting their lives on there not being a one-time slip-up. Nobody's kids are perfect 100% of the time.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Ive got a 4 year old so mine goes into a biometric safe on the nightstand. Think its my best option.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    If ya have children, something lockable and accessible only by the parents / responsible adults is the only real solution. 'Hiding' it, or some other simplistic solution, simply doesn't work.

The biometric safe, affixed to the nightstand, seems to be a good choice.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I'm always amazed at folks who sleep with a gun on their nightstand. I figure they must be light sleepers, insomniacs, or have a yappy dog in the house. I sleep soundly enough that a stealthy intruder could get to my bedroom, see the gun, and shoot me before I even knew he was around. Gotta get me another dog.

hysteria

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Seems like it would be easier to keep the kids locked up and the gun(s) easily accessible.

note: not a parent.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    lockbox with keypad combo. dedicated house gun in there always, and my edc goes in it at night. i used to leave it unlocked at night, but found i was sleepwalking, so now it gets locked.
    son is 12, and fairly well educated in firearms. grandson is 2 and is over at least once a week, spending the night about twice a month.

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    Shield 9mm on top of nightstand within arms reach, locked and loaded at night. When I get up in the morning, it goes in the small electronic safe I have cabled to the bed-post, and under the bed it goes. Some nights I'll have the AR propper against the nightstand, depends on how I'm feeling :cool:. If I ever have kids I'll have to change that, obviously, but for now it's the easiest thing for me.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    Man this is a good thread for me. I have 2 kids under 6 and a third on the way. Ive been doing the semi rout on night stand. It goes away when I wake. I go over all the gun talks with my 2 daughters now but the one is just turning 3 and she worries me. The 6 year old is pretty smart about such things. im not to fond of those bio safes so now im thinking about it after all of u said it was what u do.

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    I have a Remora holster stuck between the matress and box spring that holds my G26, round chambered, 15 round magazine with the grip sticking out, easy to grab. No kids in the house.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I'm always amazed at folks who sleep with a gun on their nightstand. I figure they must be light sleepers, insomniacs, or have a yappy dog in the house. I sleep soundly enough that a stealthy intruder could get to my bedroom, see the gun, and shoot me before I even knew he was around. Gotta get me another dog.

I'm a light sleeper, and I have four dogs. I keep mine in the top drawer of my nightstand, with the drawer open about an inch so that the cord handle of my flashlight can poke out. I'm grabbing the flashlight before I'm grabbing the gun.

No kids in the house either.

Chaplain45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Noblesville
    I have a Remora holster stuck between the matress and box spring that holds my G26, round chambered, 15 round magazine with the grip sticking out, easy to grab. No kids in the house.
    Almost identical. Springfield xds 45 in holster between boxspring and mattress. IT is my edc. No kids in the house. Grand kids age 2 and younger.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    My wife and I both have a keypad lock box screwed to our night stand. I have a G22 with TLR1S light and Mrs Glueman has a G17 with a TLR1S as well. My EDC stays on till bedtime then it goes in a separate lock box in the walk in closet where I hang my pants. In the morning it is removed from the safe and replaced on my hip.

I'm not a fan of the biometric safes. I have read review that they don't alway recognize to prints. I don't like to leave anything unlocked at night. Just in case an intruder is very stealthy and to develop a good habit of safety for when the grandkids are here.

When I store a gun in my 42 upright gun safe I will say "This gun is unloaded and safe for storage" out loud even if I am the only one home. Is it a little overboard???? Maybe but better safe than sorry.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Fort knox pistol vault (pb1 model)

Its AWESOME for keeping lil curious fingers away from 2 handguns.
    in fact,,our 2 yr old climbs and jumps on it and doesnt even realize the contents.

Very sturdy and i would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone. I got mine from a shop in OK online (a.g. English, i think) cuz they had best price by far

Top Bottom