How do you make a vehicle able to drive through water?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    If the intake, exhaust, and cooling fan have snorkels how else can water get in short of having the thing flip over? I don't see a flywheel on my little motor.

The flywheel is the fan on the top of the engine. I'd be really interested to see how you'd seal it. That map prove the biggest challenge.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    The last time I know of this being dun was dun by making a water tight chamber for the motor and pipe every thing out of the chamber. The chamber or box was made out of sheet metal. The box was made big enough to hold the motor and battery. All seams were soldered.The top was made in four peaces and bolted together. 2, 4" pipes were used to vent and exhaust the box. The motor exhaust was piped out of the box. The fuel tank was moved to the front top of the box. The fuel line was piped in to the motor. I saw this thing work crossing a creak it was under water except for the fuel tank, the exhaust, and two 4" pipes.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Would small amounts of water be alright going down those fins?

There is likely an oil seal under the flywheel that would lead to the crankcase, so that could be a problem if water got into there, but.....

I think the biggest concern would be that the fins on the flywheel would be pushing water like a propeller, which is going to bog down the engine because water is very dense and the engine doesn't have much power to begin with.

Keep in mind that I've never tried to turn a lawn tractor into a submarine, so I really don't have a great answer to your question, but I do think you'd be much more likely to be successful if you could keep the water below that level.

The spark plug wire(s), other electric parts, intake, and exhaust can be sealed and extended. The flywheel/moving parts? I'm not so sure.

3DPointCloud

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2012
    SW IN
    Something to consider would be cold water touching a hot block could equate to a crack in the block. Very interesting project though!

karl77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Calumet township/Lake County
    the older army trucks were gas powered (and 24v). might be possible to use a m38 (or 38a1) plugs to be waterproof, the distributor would be a challenge, to keep the water out of the engine compartment, seal it up and pressurize it with exhaust (need a valve to do this, and don't run it long as it will overheat the block and warp the heads). the last major obstacle to over come is the traction belt slipping (and being thrown off) from being wet. exhaust might work on this as well.

would pick up a service/operations manual for an m38/m38a1 to see how everything works.

Last edited:

jimbolucky13

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    The last time I know of this being dun was dun by making a water tight chamber for the motor and pipe every thing out of the chamber. The chamber or box was made out of sheet metal. The box was made big enough to hold the motor and battery. All seams were soldered.The top was made in four peaces and bolted together. 2, 4" pipes were used to vent and exhaust the box. The motor exhaust was piped out of the box. The fuel tank was moved to the front top of the box. The fuel line was piped in to the motor. I saw this thing work crossing a creak it was under water except for the fuel tank, the exhaust, and two 4" pipes.

yep, I would think this would be the fastest easiest way to fix all the issues. If you're driving through water that will be waste deep I would recommend a pond :laugh: a lawn mower has such a small foot print and light weight seems like a bad combination for flowing water. don't get me wrong, i think you should do it. be sure to post a video on here when you're done

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Finally, could the concepts from this project be used on any other type of vehicle?
    I have run large bush hogs in a swamp before. What makes you think your "vehicle" will not sink and get stuck in wet muck and shore edges when even they do? Let alone half way out in the middle of the creek bed.

Besides all the other issues which will cause you to totally fail. :cool::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sorry, I could not help it.

I would go the speed route, make it go fast, I mean really fast and skip across the water surface when you hit it, like a skipping stone.

I am sorry, there I go again.

catfishjn69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    West side of Indy
    I like the idea of putting a sheet metal box around the motor area youwill never be able to run deeper then the flywheel without doing this and you cant seal the motor cover becase that is where it draws air from for the flywheel to cool the motor. with doing the box idea you could run the ignition switch and batery wires over top of the box you wouldnt need to run an intake or exhaust snorkel. you would have to seal the box on the bottom to the chassis of the mower and then seal the bottom of the mower to the box so water didnt seep in from the bottom. you will have to worry about your drive belt slipping when it gets wet and tires not getting any traction and getting stuck. might be easier to mount some pontoons on it and float the water just and idea

catfish

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Giant plastic bubble.

Sweden_Horse_show.jpg

Everything is self contained, no risk of water contamination.

Nothing to worry about here, you and the mower will be bone dry when crossing any type of water obstacle.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom