• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I've read the hype. I've bordered on lusting for this delicious culinary treat found in some unlikely destination like 10th and Post. Heard that the owners are 2A friendly. How could I not tell my wife about this Zanadu and pack her up and head to the East side?

Ok, the place is packed, you can hardly get in the door. The only menu is on a chalk board above the counter so it is make a decision quick time. I ask for 2 oyster po boys. Get a blank stare. No oyster po boys? I didn't think there was any other kind. No matter how about shrimp? The gal answers yes, today they have shrimp. My mind says "today"? Should have been a tip off. I order a side of red beans and rice and two Pepsi's. She asks if this is to go and I say no we are eating here. She tears off the ticket and starts to write again giving me a look like"noob" BTW we now have local made cola and other sodas she says ( think soda stream machine) She is very polite and tells me that the sides and drinks are orderd at the table. Cool no problem but by now I am feeling like an INGOer with 3 posts complaining about the classifieds.

Skip ahead, beans and rice and corn bread come, sodas I would stay away from, they taste like water. The beans tasted like they came right out of a can. No flavor at all. Skip ahead further. The Shrimp po boys come and what shrimp are on the sandwich are salad sized boiled shrimp? WTF??? It is basically a coleslaw sandwich with a few little boiled shrimp.

I am not naive enough to think that all you INGOers are wrong but I would prefer to think that either I was just there on a bad day or I simply didn't order the right things. I saw other patrons eating huge sandwiches filled with meat and theirs weren't dripping all over the place. BTW that place needs to have napkins available.

What do you order when you go to Papa Roux? Help me to go back.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    I haven't been to that location. I go to the location at the City Market. It's a bit more "open" as far as space and not feeling like you stepped in a different dimension. I get slaw as a side with a pork and slaw po'boy. I put the extra slaw on the sandwich. It is a bit messy but they always give me a handful of napkins.

And as a side note: I've never tried the seafood sandwiches. I can't eat seafood unless it's fresh.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I've never had anything there that I would consider "flavorless". As for the shrimp, it's all imported from a family-run shrimpery in Louisiana, and it was pretty well spanked by the oil spill, so they don't always have it. The fact that the place was packed should tell you that maybe you personally just had a bad experience.

Also, they recently kicked out Pepsi and brought in locally-made sodas. I haven't had them yet, so I can't tell you if they're any good or now, but I approve of the decision either way.

As for the sides and ordering at the table, it's all free sides and free iced tea. Not sure why you'd complain that you have to order them at the table rather than the counter.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I haven't been to that location. I go to the location at the City Market. It's a bit more "open" as far as space and not feeling like you stepped in a different dimension. I get slaw as a side with a pork and slaw po'boy. I put the extra slaw on the sandwich. It is a bit messy but they always give me a handful of napkins.

And as a side note: I've never tried the seafood sandwiches. I can't eat seafood unless it's fresh.

The City Market location only has a limited menu (just po' boys and a few different sides, I think). Also, their seafood is fresh and it's imported from his friend's family-run shrimpery on the Louisiana coast. They used to drive down there weekly to pick it up. Not sure if they still do that, though.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I've never had anything there that I would consider "flavorless". As for the shrimp, it's all imported from a family-run shrimpery in Louisiana, and it was pretty well spanked by the oil spill, so they don't always have it. The fact that the place was packed should tell you that maybe you personally just had a bad experience.

Also, they recently kicked out Pepsi and brought in locally-made sodas. I haven't had them yet, so I can't tell you if they're any good or now, but I approve of the decision either way.

As for the sides and ordering at the table, it's all free sides and free iced tea. Not sure why you'd complain that you have to order them at the table rather than the counter.

Not complaining about that at all. Just made me feel like a noob that I didn't know that was how it was done.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Live right down the street, never been. Parking anytime I would of gone discouraged me from going. Usually end up eating right down the parking lot at Yummys. Sorry I can't offer any suggestions, but would like to go and try it once if not many more times.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Live right down the street, never been. Parking anytime I would of gone discouraged me from going. Usually end up eating right down the parking lot at Yummys. Sorry I can't offer any suggestions, but would like to go and try it once if not many more times.

I've found that if you're there by 11:00, there's usually no wait. If you get there by 11:30, you're struggling to find a table.

He tried to expand into the adjacent building a year or two ago, but the city spanked him with so much red tape that he eventually canned the project and opened a kiosk in City Market instead. It's like they were actively trying to put a stop to his business.

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    I've read the hype. I've bordered on lusting for this delicious culinary treat found in some unlikely destination like 10th and Post. Heard that the owners are 2A friendly. How could I not tell my wife about this Zanadu and pack her up and head to the East side?

Ok, the place is packed, you can hardly get in the door. The only menu is on a chalk board above the counter so it is make a decision quick time. I ask for 2 oyster po boys. Get a blank stare. No oyster po boys? I didn't think there was any other kind. No matter how about shrimp? The gal answers yes, today they have shrimp. My mind says "today"? Should have been a tip off. I order a side of red beans and rice and two Pepsi's. She asks if this is to go and I say no we are eating here. She tears off the ticket and starts to write again giving me a look like"noob" BTW we now have local made cola and other sodas she says ( think soda stream machine) She is very polite and tells me that the sides and drinks are orderd at the table. Cool no problem but by now I am feeling like an INGOer with 3 posts complaining about the classifieds.

Skip ahead, beans and rice and corn bread come, sodas I would stay away from, they taste like water. The beans tasted like they came right out of a can. No flavor at all. Skip ahead further. The Shrimp po boys come and what shrimp are on the sandwich are salad sized boiled shrimp? WTF??? It is basically a coleslaw sandwich with a few little boiled shrimp.

I am not naive enough to think that all you INGOers are wrong but I would prefer to think that either I was just there on a bad day or I simply didn't order the right things. I saw other patrons eating huge sandwiches filled with meat and theirs weren't dripping all over the place. BTW that place needs to have napkins available.

What do you order when you go to Papa Roux? Help me to go back.

Small place yes. Go at less busy times its just easier.

All you order at counter is the sandwich an drink. Sweat tea is free.

Pulled pork or beef,Catfish, smoked sausage, or the ham are the favorites. On soft bread.

The silver ware is wrapped in a napkin on the smaller counter when you enter the dining room. I ask for my sandwich cut, and light slaw. It's less messy.

As for sides the spicy tomato garlic is good and cornbread are good as well.

If you don't like red beans and rice you can get a small side of smoke sausage and add it to the red beans and its mighty tasty.

Leave your tip.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I guess my mistake is that my expectation of a po boy is fried seafood be it oysters, shrimp, or crab, lettuce, tomato and onion,pickle etc. My eyes are not the best and with the crowd found it a little difficult to read the menu. Nothing wrong at all with doing it different and don't mean to slam them for that. I just wondered what you guys order that makes you want to go back.

JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy
    I second Yats. Their menu is ever changing with a few more popular dishes as the mainstay.

4 locations (Broadripple, Carmel, Fishers, Greenwood) with several franchises in the works (Traders Points, 10th street, Noblesville)

Hubby and I hit the Carmel location up every Friday. Tasty as can be!

If you ever go, and you see Hunter's Stew on the menu, eat the living daylights out of it because you won't see it again for a LONG time.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I second Yats. Their menu is ever changing with a few more popular dishes as the mainstay.

4 locations (Broadripple, Carmel, Fishers, Greenwood) with several franchises in the works (Traders Points, 10th street, Noblesville)

Hubby and I hit the Carmel location up every Friday. Tasty as can be!

If you ever go, and you see Hunter's Stew on the menu, eat the living daylights out of it because you won't see it again for a LONG time.

Gumbo...drunk chicken....it's all so good! I need Yats now.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Gumbo...drunk chicken....it's all so good! I need Yats now.

Oh I'm a Yats regular but I want to try different places as well. Yats doesn't offer Po Boys. Where's the fun in sticking to one place? Overall I enjoyed Papa Roux if for no other reason than the adventure of it all. Sometimes it's fun to be the noob and learn new things.

TD12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Afghanistan when I can.
    Yats? Mehh, it's ok.

As far as The Roux is concerned, get it Angry and add grilled onions. Ask what the special is for the day and you can add BACON for free. This is INGO, right? Everyone still loves bacon? Ok, good. My favorite is the pulled chicken, but everytime they have fresh seafood for the special for the day... I get that! Those shrimp are fresh and not little ones out of a bag like you make think, they are straight from the Gulf.

I haven't been there since they switched over to the local-sodas, but I always get sweet tea anyway. I try and go after the rush hours, but from what Art has said, there ALWAYS in rush hours lately because of the media frenzy!

No one else has said anything on the 2A part, so I will mention that Papa nor Mama have ever had an issue with me OC'ing or CC'ing there.

Not sure if it is 100% true, but I was told the other day that the City Market location has shut down?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    No one else has said anything on the 2A part, so I will mention that Papa nor Mama have ever had an issue with me OC'ing or CC'ing there.

They're both very pro-2A. Every once in awhile, they have a "secret" special when you show your LTCH (they usually only announce it on Google+ or Facebook and ask their followers to "keep it secret"). They've even catered INGO NFA Day and went the extra mile to make it work.

Top Bottom