• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bbarker

Marksman
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    SE Indiana
    Just curious as to what everyone else out there does. We have a pretty simple thing we do....roll them in flour, sprinkle of salt and pan fry in butter. Crispier the better

nsenneking

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Ballstown
    when we would find to many to eat fresh my dad use to dehydrate them and then use them in a cream of mushroom sauce to put over deer steaks. yummm

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I used to flour and fry like the other posters on here. However, I have come to realize that I love the taste and texture much more if I skip the flour and/ or egg. I simply slice the morels lengthwise and cook them in a skillet with real butter, garlic, onion flakes, a little basil, oregano, salt, and curry. Those that have tried them cooked this way have fallen in love with them. This recipe may not suit your palet, but why not give it a try?

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I pan fry them same as above.

Also made soup this year. Risotto, baked some into bread, put some in a tomato sauce, added a few to a stir fry.

I usually add them to some kind of egg dish but I much prefer chanterelles with eggs and those aren't too far away.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I don't eat them but everyone in my family that does either does the flour (or rolled in crumbled crackers) and salt/pepper or scrambled eggs.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    NOnononononono. -1 for everyone who rolls them in flour and destroys them. Except JetGirl. You can't even TASTE them after you do that. It's like getting some great fresh fish... then taking it to Long John Silver's and having them prepare it for you. Stop that. +1 to putting them with eggs, or in some pasta. Saute them in some butter with just a little garlic, put them on a steak or on a burger. Heathens.

Midway

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Growing up I always had them pan fried and I guess I've just stuck with that over the years.

Indydrew

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Ingredients: 2-3 eggs (depending on batch), butter, salt, Kellogg's Corn Flake Crumbs (not the cereal, but the Crumbs.)

- Whisk eggs in bowl until well mixed.
    - Fill another bowl with the Corn Flake Crumbs.
    - Add a pinch of salt if desired. (I prefer Kosher salt for more flavor, but use less.)
    - Dip morels into egg mixture
    - Lightly coat both sides of morel with Kellogg's Corn Flake Crumbs.
    - Fry in lots of butter and flip when light brown.
    - Add more butter as necessary until done. Delicious!

If done correctly, this is pretty close to a religious experience...

-Drew

Top Bottom