• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rick983

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    I watched the TV show Shooting Gallery last night and it was about suppressors. The host brought up a very good point. If you took your muffler off your car and put it on your gun, you would be breaking two laws. First, you made your car loud and you made your gun quiet. Perhaps a silly analogy, but points out how silly it is to legally describe a suppressor as a firearm. We're all tired of the 6 month wait and $200 tax on an item that will both help save hearing and cut down on noise pollution. The noise pollution issue is becoming more serious as suburbs expand. I know there is a group of class 3 dealers who stay in contact with the ATFE but how do we, the public go about getting the ATFE to remove suppressors form the class 3 list? Do we petition our elected representatives, contact the ATFE or what? Buying a suppressor should be no more difficult than buying a firearm or accessory. Do a 4471 background check and walk out the door with it. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited:

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Contact your representatives first, though Lugar probably won't be of much help. The BATF is going to be more responsive to a note from a Congressperson than from you or me, sadly.

Rick983

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    I went online and wrote my congressman, Dr. Larry Buschon and asked him to look into the archaic ATFE rules concerning suppressors. Congressman Buschon is pro gun so I'm hoping for his help.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Can you copy what you wrote on here? I always want to do these things but I'm afraid ill sound unproffesional or just dumb. I did email evereyone of our senators to help pass sb243,but that obviosly didn't help.

Rick983

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Response to ctbreitwieser

Ctbreitweiser wrote "Can you copy what you wrote on here? I always want to do these things but I'm afraid ill sound unproffesional or just dumb. I did email evereyone of our senators to help pass sb243,but that obviosly didn't help."

As follows:
    Dear Congressman;
    We sportsmen in America have a situation that we have been saddled with for almost 80 years. There is a device that can help save hearing and at the same time remove tremendous amounts of noise pollution from our environment. I am talking about sound suppressors for firearms, also known by the Hollywood nickname, silencer. These devices have been around for 100 years and are used worldwide except in America where the purchase and ownership falls under the National Firearms Act of 1934. The NFA considers the suppressor a firearm, the same as a machine gun! The ATFE should remove suppressors as a class 3 weapon and make it what it really is, a firearm accessory that helps people keep their hearing. Currently you pay a $200 transfer tax plus you wait up to 6 months for ATFE approval. My hearing is now 50% and much of this loss is from hunting with loud firearms. Please look into this as this is a serious topic with thousands of hunters and shooters losing their hearing each year because of gunblast. Thank you.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Baby steps. First get Congress to pressure (or provide funding for) improvements to the process. Think online with digital prints and a 10 day turn around. That would help considerably.

amhubz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Stone's throw from ND!
    This is good stuff. I've been lookng to add a suppressor to my most recently aquired pistol but after looking into the process of getting one, I decided to look at just another firearm :0 Anyways, thanks for the thread and the tips on reaching out to those that may be able to help.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    You will probably never get rid of the tax on suppressors. There is too much money in it. Also, a direct assault on the ATF won't work. Remember that the ATF was established by Congress to enforce the law. Conservative members of Congress may rail against the ATF, but there is not nor will there ever be serious consideration to getting rid of the agency.

So starting with this premise, the question is how do we make it easier and faster to get a suppressor. The letter above isn't it. It contains factual inaccuracies which will cause it to be dismissed summarily.

My suggestion is that anyone who has a suppressor in process call their Senator or Representative's local office to inquire why it is taking so long to process the application. This puts the issue on the radar screen for the staff who will start peppering the ATF with inquiries, and will feed the legislative process. Senator Coats office is aware of the issue, and the more inquiries the more interest he personally will take. I've had conversations with his staff and they are very interested in helping fix the problem, but legislation is a process, not an event.

RobbLG

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    As follows:
    Dear Congressman;
    We sportsmen in America have a situation that we have been saddled with for almost 80 years. There is a device that can help save hearing and at the same time remove tremendous amounts of noise pollution from our environment. I am talking about sound suppressors for firearms, also known by the Hollywood nickname, silencer. These devices have been around for 100 years and are used worldwide except in America where the purchase and ownership falls under the National Firearms Act of 1934.

It's not a "Hollywood nickname"... That's what Hiram called them...

Dirc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Noblesville
    Submitted via coats.senate.gov

Senator Coats,

I'm writing to discuss a situation with you, and to see if perhaps an inquiry can be made on behalf of Hoosier firearms enthusiasts. I know your time is valuable, so I'll do my best to keep this brief.

As I'm sure you're aware, firearm suppressors are a legal way for Hoosiers to enjoy target shooting while protecting their hearing. Because suppressors are subject to the National Firearms Act, their transfer must be approved by the BATFE. Unfortunately, the wait time for these approvals has recently increased dramatically. As an Indiana resident who submitted his paperwork to the BATFE in February, and likely won't receive my approval until at least August, I'm concerned with this trend. According to some calculations, the increasing backlog causes the approval time to increase by one day every three days*. I'm sure you can understand the disappointment caused by waiting over six months to pick up a hearing protection device that you've already paid for, and simply because of a governmental bottleneck that cost an additional $200 transfer fee.

I'm sure that there must be something that can be done to help get these transfers approved for lawful Hoosiers in a fair and timely manner. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this situation and appreciate any assistance you're able to offer.

Sincerely,
    [Redacted]

*Source:
    What's Up at BATFE's NFA Office?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It starts at the state level. Lobby the states to pass laws allowing suppressors for hunting or varmiting, take the sheen of criminality off of them.

THEN you press to move suppressors to Title I with federal preemption.

jon159753

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Avon, IN
    I notice the only thing the Federal Gov will do is take away rights. The last bit of laws that gave people rights were written in 1789. I am afraid if you take it up that far they will just make suppressors harder to get.

Oppugnall

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Greenwood, IN
    Just wrote my congress person. I agree there is too much money, and I don't see them giving it up. But would be neat if was regulated item.

Besides the money there is too much sensationalism with media, we are a pro-gun state and we couldnt even pass silencer for hunting this year.. I have read many gun owners posts that they don't see need for said devices they Think everyone who owns one is a wanna be operator, almost exact words someone on another forum used.

At least be happy they haven't raised the tax collected since law was originally written in 30's.

Top Bottom