• ...and so much more!
  • lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    A smooth, flat steel target will typically send the bullet fragments out at a 20 degree angle to the face of the target. If a target becomes dented, the spray pattern becomes unpredictable and can send lead fragments back at the shooter. This is an issue when shooting pistol calibers at closer ranges (20-30 yards). Always wear safety glasses. Long sleeved shirts and pants (not shorts) are a good idea.

Happy shooting!

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    BTW, what is Field King? We don't have one of those around these parts(that I know of).

Unlike Rural King, a wonderful hardware/ag products store, Field King is an INGO member living in the southern part of Marion County (Indianapolis)! :D

He makes steel targets and sometimes sells them to other INGO members.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I've shot literally thousands of rounds at these, may be tens of thousands.

aTargets86.jpg

vtxrecruiter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    West Indy
    Simple physics says that a round will not bounce straight back at the shooter. The energy dump on the steel takes out a lot of the momentum. The straighter the hit, the more energy dump and the less rebound or ricochet.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    When I used to shoot steel at SW Conservation Club in Ft Wayne, I was standing at the ready line behind the shooter. I was thumped center in the chest by one of his 45 slugs which bounced back off of the swinging plate about 15 yards away. It didn't penetrate, but it thumped plenty good.

I saw the slug coming at me. There are no guarantees or absolutes when shooting steel.....I started wearing soft body armor after that, at steel plate matches. Even though it was a one in a million thing

Last edited:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Unlike Rural King, a wonderful hardware/ag products store, Field King is an INGO member living in the southern part of Marion County (Indianapolis)! :D

He makes steel targets and sometimes sells them to other INGO members.

:): Field King is an INGO member! :):

I should have specified that...didn't realize that it does sound like the name of a farm / sporting goods store!

LOL, yep, don't have one of those around here...Since, well, there's only one.:laugh:

When you said Field King, I immediately thought of a Rural King type place.

Top Bottom