• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • richardp20

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    Near Brownsburg
    Can anyone tell me how a red dot sight works? I have one on my Ruger MarkIII Target pistol. If I hold my gun still and move my head, the red dot moves but so does the target image. What is going on? Why doesn't it have cross hairs? :dunno:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Red dots run on magic. True story. There are some more scientific explanations, but this one is the simplest.

On a quality red dot, you should be able to move your head all around and your shot should hit where the dot is-- regardless of where your head is in relation to the optic itself.

Magic.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    Red dots run on magic. True story. There are some more scientific explanations, but this one is the simplest.

On a quality red dot, you should be able to move your head all around and your shot should hit where the dot is-- regardless of where your head is in relation to the optic itself.

Magic.

Magic....and the dot is made from unicorn blood. Thats why it glows red. Unless its a green dot and those are made from Leprechaun testicles. :D

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    My son, who gave me the red dot for my birthday, first said it is magic and then, when I wanted more, referred me to Wikipedia. As a retired engineer with lots of time on my hands I would like something a bit more technical. I thought someone out there might have similar want to know obsession like mine.:)

I clicked on this thread because like you, it also struck a curiosity button for me.

In another way, I hope to be like you someday: a retired engineer!:D

Top Bottom