• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    So a buddy of mine is a self-described hardcore survivalist. As in he likes to buy expensive crap he sees on the internet "just in case".

Well last night he shows me the new Novak Tritium night sights he bought for his Beretta 92 (his reason for buying the 92 was because "it is what the marines use and if we get invaded then i can use their mags") Now i look behind him on the counter and i see a second Novak box. I get curious and ask him what other toys he bought. He walks over and without a second thought he pulls out three more sets of the Tritium sights (not just the tubes but three more whole damn rear sights)

I asked him if he was planning to sell them or...?

His response was and i quote "well just in case I break one but really so i don't have to buy any more, I can just replace the ones in my gun when they wear out"

...Excuse me?

I didn't know what to say. I just stuttered for a minute then started laughing. I've yet to tell him how hardcore he failed, I've yet to have the heart to.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    A fool and his money... Next time you see him, ask him what the tritium half-life is for those sights. How long before all four sets go dim at the same time?

(I'm thinking 10-12 years??)

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Why tell him he's an idiot? He's happy, and we all need our toys.

In fact, you should be buttering up to him, pointing out how much you wish you could have his back, but just can't afford (insert gun/toy you want here) so he's on his own. It's a real shame that the odds of survival go down by 75.9% without a partner...

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    show him this thread?
    play it on microsoft speech as a prank call to him... much like stewie on family guy played with it that one time.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I understand where you are coming from. I think everyone has had one of those friends who needs told they are an idiot. I think you should nicely ask him questions that he obviously has no answers to relating to realistic tactics hopefully this will make him realize he has no idea what he is talking about. I am dealing with the same situation now also. On one hand you dont want to hurt their feelings but on the other you want to smack them and choke some sense into them. In my particular situation my friend doesnt understand that he does have some real limitations physically that he really needs to pay attention and train to overcome unless he wants either an attacker to get his weapon or get himself killed. Let us know how it turns out.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    I propose this:

"Friend........you sir are an idiot"

Please make sure to use the "sir" that way you can at least say you were trying to be nice about it

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    If he's in Noblesville, I offer soft cloth sight polishing. It can be costly, but it's worth it. I'm sure he'll notice the difference in performance.

Rockhound

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    If your friend is happy buying all those toys, let him be happy. It's his money and his business unless he asks you for help.

Eventually your friend will tire of his acquisitions and look for another hobby. He'll be motivated to sell and then will be your opportunity to help him out.:):

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    tell him you need to have a set so you can back him up. tell him they last longer out in the sun, and when his wear out he can just have yours, lol.

in reality, you just need to be strait up and tell him he goofed. dont call him an idiot. because if he doesnt understand how tritium works then he's realy not an idiot he's just not educated in it. so thats where you come in as a good friend and teach, and then help him sell his new sights so he doesnt lose his ass in 15 years, lol. thats one reason i surround myself with strait up people. if im being an idiot or wrong they will tell me. thats a good quality in people and HARD to find these days. everyone is too eager to please and be nice and fake. it makes me sick

PhalanX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    thats a good quality in people and HARD to find these days. everyone is too eager to please and be nice and fake. it makes me sick

Ditto to that! As a relatively new comer to this site, and to the shooting arena in general, your attitude is greatly appreciated.

Besides, I just bought 5 sets of Tritium sights... :noway::noway::noway:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Always the giver, that Bazooka. :):

tell him you need to have a set so you can back him up. tell him they last longer out in the sun, and when his wear out he can just have yours, lol.

in reality, you just need to be strait up and tell him he goofed. dont call him an idiot. because if he doesnt understand how tritium works then he's realy not an idiot he's just not educated in it. so thats where you come in as a good friend and teach, and then help him sell his new sights so he doesnt lose his ass in 15 years, lol. thats one reason i surround myself with strait up people. if im being an idiot or wrong they will tell me. thats a good quality in people and HARD to find these days. everyone is too eager to please and be nice and fake. it makes me sick

Wow, I must be a GREAT friend then, because I have no trouble telling people how it is.:):

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom