How do I handle my daughter getting bit by a pit bull.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    And...renter's insurance usually only covers their contents. The landlord typically carries liability insurance.

Watch those puncture wounds for any sign of infection, including fever.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    IF this dog is a known biter then I'd press the issue to make sure this doesn't happen to another child or person.
    Knowing the situation of that family would have me putting them "off limits" to my kids.
    It's only one side of the story but I'm thinking this dog needs to be put down.

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Wow. Sorry this happened. Sounds like you have a tough little girl. Definately seems like a lawyer needs to be involved at this point.

She is a tough daddy's girl. She told me that she pulled his head away and then I guess the Mom got involved, she said the Mom, brother and her friend all had to get him to let go of her. As a Dad I can't believe I kept my cool. She told me that it was better that he bit her because my son was there and she said he's not tough enough and could have really been hurt. She's pretty special.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    She is a tough daddy's girl. She told me that she pulled his head away and then I guess the Mom got involved, she said the Mom, brother and her friend all had to get him to let go of her. As a Dad I can't believe I kept my cool. She told me that it was better that he bit her because my son was there and she said he's not tough enough and could have really been hurt. She's pretty special.

That is one tough little lady you have there!

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    The mother of my daughter's friend gave my daughter a popsicle and told her not to tell me. I was on the tractor when she came home crying. As far as money I really don't care other than the medical bills. We live in a pretty rural area, basically a small neighborhood and these people are renting with multiple people living there. Constant traffic but nobody works? I would like the dog at least removed and the medical bills paid. I tried to talk to the parents after the bite but they started getting pretty defensive so I called the police and filed a report but today they were all standing in there driveway flipping me off. I'm too old for that crap so I left it alone. Just concerned about my kids and the other kids around the neighborhood.

Do not let your daughter go over there again and let any future contact with them be through a lawyer. People like this never accept responsibility and will blame you and your family for what happens. Watch for petty reprisals. And stick to your guns.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    IF this dog is a known biter then I'd press the issue to make sure this doesn't happen to another child or person.
    Knowing the situation of that family would have me putting them "off limits" to my kids.
    It's only one side of the story but I'm thinking this dog needs to be put down.

Well, it is now a know biter and it's owners seem irresponsible; I'd want it put down.

Do not let your daughter go over there again and let any future contact with them be through a lawyer. People like this never accept responsibility and will blame you and your family for what happens. Watch for petty reprisals. And stick to your guns.
    Literally.

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    It's a pretty expensive neighborhood and they are the only renters here. I'm sure they'll move along soon, and my kids know that it's off limits.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    So my daughter was playing at her friends house and the parents were aware of the aggressive nature of the dog. The dog broke through the screen door and chewed my ten year old daughter up pretty good. We called the police and animal control and filed a complaint. The first responder immediately said that she needed to go to the hospital. We have taken photos and animal control officer also took a statement from my daughter along with photos. Her upper thighs both have multiple bite marks and she is bruising pretty bad. This happened yesterday evening and I am not really sure how to proceed. Do I need to get an attorney or let animal control handle this. Any ideas? And yes the dog is a pit bull.

I guess I can't keep from asking - how do you know "the parents were aware of the aggressive nature of the dog." If after the incident did the parents tell you they were aware ? From your description of them they don't sound like the kind of folks that would volunteer that kind of information.

I would think if there is an indication the animal was vicious and subsequently allowed this to occur they could possibly be charged with a criminal offense (?)

Last edited:

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    I guess I can't keep from asking - how do you know "the parents were aware of the aggressive nature of the dog." If after the incident did the parents tell you they were aware ? From your description of them they don't sound like the king of folks that would provide that kind of information.

I would think if there is an indication the animal was vicious and subsequently allowed this to occur they could possibly be charged with a criminal offense (?)

The daughter who is In my daughter's class at school had told my kids they couldn't go inside the house because they have a dog who bite's. I was only told this by my kids after the fact. I didn't even know they had a dog before this happened. I would have never allowed them over there had I known.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This stood out to me too. Telling her not to tell you what happened...that says a LOT!

Same here. Its one thing to try that trick with a skinned knee that doesnt even require a band aid. But intense bruising and puncture wounds requiring medical attention? absolute idiots.

Good luck with everything OP. You'll need it.

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Same here. Its one thing to try that trick with a skinned knee that doesnt even require a band aid. But intense bruising and puncture wounds requiring medical attention? absolute idiots.

Good luck with everything OP. You'll need it.

Thanks I appreciate that. We'll get through this, it's just tough to see your kids hurting.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    1) I hope your daughter makes a full recovery
    2) Keep on the police & animal control
    3) Consult an attorney
    4) Stop posting in case the family finds your username. Anything you say will be used against you.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Did anything actually break the skin or is it just bruising? I can't imaging thinking actual puncturing bite wounds would go unnoticed.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Start documenting - EVERYTHING!

She complains of being sore, time and location.

She has a nightmare, time she woke up screaming.

She moans getting into/out of car - time and location.

She has a reaction to her pain medicine and/or antibiotics - time, location, and nature of complaint.

Document everything that is caused or potentially caused by this incident. Document their attitude and flipping you off. Go back to the beginning and write everything down in a notebook.

No attorney and/or prosecutor has EVER complained that they were given too much information.

Best of luck to her!

Regards,

Doug

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Did anything actually break the skin or is it just bruising? I can't imaging thinking actual puncturing bite wounds would go unnoticed.

Many puncture wounds on both sides, still bleeding some and the bruising is softball size on both legs. We are keeping the bandages changed and clean. The ER Dr. put her on antibiotics. I'm done posting as suggested for now.. I'll update after we talk to an attorney. Thanks guys and don't forget Mom tomorrow. Dan

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

She has a reaction to her pain medicine and/or antibiotics - time, location, and nature of complaint.

Document everything that is caused or potentially caused by this incident. Document their attitude and flipping you off. Go back to the beginning and write everything down in a notebook.

No attorney and/or prosecutor has EVER complained that they were given too much information.

Best of luck to her!

Regards,

Doug

THIS! A sage instructor here taught me one thing that applies here, as well as other critical incidents... "If you dont write it down, it never happened." Memories fade but ink... not so much.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    Sorry to hear your daughter was bitten. I hope she fully heals and bears no physical or mental scars from it.

Best of luck to her!

Regards,

Doug

I think these are two of the best posts for advice on the matter. Especially about no contact except though lawyers. They have already tried to hide the incident from you and proven they cannot be trusted.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I would also be hesitant of posting any more information in this thread, or on facebook. As a dog owner, I feel for you. I hate the stigma around bad pits as it's typically bad owners.

As previously stated, document EVERYTHING. Phone calls, reports, flipping the bird, bruising/lacerations.

Take pictures of the wounds/bruising henceforth. Do not wash her clothes if there is blood on them, and put them in a ziplok bag with date/time.

I have a feeling you're going to go to court, and it's going to be in your favor to have everything written down with date/time stamps.

Top Bottom