how do bull pup rifles compare to the ar 15?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    Lately I've been reading up on the steyr Aug and the IMI tar-21. The more I read the more I like. When you compare the Aug to the m4 you get a 20" barrel instead of the 14.5 with the same overall lenght. The thing is ive never heard of them being sold in the US. What do you guys think about them?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The only advantage is that they are more compact for the same barrel length (as you mentioned).

The disadvantages include crappy triggers; slow, awkward reloads; potential issues for left-handed shooters or those who switch back in forth because of the location of the ejection port; can't effectively adjust the length of the stock much; some bullpups significantly limit the choices for sights/optics (e.g. the orginal Steyr AUG); probably some I'm forgetting

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    The only advantage is that they are more compact for the same barrel length (as you mentioned).

The disadvantages include crappy triggers; slow, awkward reloads; potential issues for left-handed shooters or those who switch back in forth because of the location of the ejection port; can't effectively adjust the length of the stock much; some bullpups significantly limit the choices for sights/optics (e.g. the orginal Steyr AUG); probably some I'm forgetting
    Work buddy of mine got an MSAR(aug clone), went to the range with him today.

I DO like my AR better. But for range time fun it's cool. Trigger is definitely a bit weird, not horrible. He was a little slow loading. I had no trouble though. The only real loading troubles were that he kept riding the bolt/charge handle back, once I showed him to just let it go from the rear that issue went away. The ejection port is on both sides and you just change that by switching out a plastic hole insert(I found that to be pretty cool). Affirmative on stock adjustment, although I didn't find that necessary on this particular weapon. No iron sights(biggest problem I see) so you either gotta get the rail and put your own optic on there or get the version with a 1x scope.

I'd buy one, but I already have the AR.

It IS short though, cool stuff.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The manipulations would be the biggest disadvantage to me. Switching shoulders is way down on the list for me, but could be necessary.

I like having the magwell out in front of me. However, I have seen guys competently run AUGs and even a Le Clarion. Like anything, just takes dedicated practice.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I have 2 bull pup rifles, and after spending time working with them, I love them. Granted there is a learning curve, but I feel that they are more maneuverable, and for me target acquisition is faster.

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    I have had the FN the Microtech and the Bushy bullpups.
    I have become a big fan of them, but beyond overall length I don't notice any significant advantage. Like Rhino stated there are some issues but most can be over come with practice.
    My STG was quicker and more accurate than the FN but the FN eliminates the weak side issues due to it ejecting out the front.
    The STG's can be had now for pretty reasonable prices, I just ordered another one for myself. I feel they are about as good as it gets when you need to travel discreetly with a rifle. Removing the barrel allows you to store them in some pretty tight places. A 16" will fit with the barrel removed in even a backpack or book bag.
    The pointability and portability I think rule here,
    I read that the Ausies have gotten pretty good at canting the weapon to get a left hand shot off in a pinch but I would assume this would take a lot of practice to become proficient at.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I had a select fire Steyr AUG, only thing I disliked about it was the trigger, very mushy. Only bullpup I ever shot that had a decent trigger was the Valmet M-82. On it the offset sights took a good bit of getting use to. Next best was the Bushmaster M17S, the one I handle had a decent trigger but I didn't get to shoot it.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    bullpups blow ARs out of the water in every category other than price.

i want an AUG bad.

The original MSAR STG-556 with the proprietary mag can be had for $950.00 or less now. They come with 5 - 30 round mags. I would say that puts them in the same price range as the AR's

If you are going to get an AUG, or an MSAR, the "Trigger Tamer" is a must.

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    The original MSAR STG-556 with the proprietary mag can be had for $950.00 or less now. They come with 5 - 30 round mags. I would say that puts them in the same price range as the AR's

If you are going to get an AUG, or an MSAR, the "Trigger Tamer" is a must.

when you can get a nice new AR for $700-800 paying $1000 for a used aug doesnt really put it in the same price range for me..

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    ive never seen them that low.. lowest i saw was 1200 for a new one... id definatly be interested in an aug at that price.. now who wants to buy an unfired AR15.. lol

linkpimp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    So-Cal ~ Huntington Beach
    I have two now and have had the pleasure of shooting a few more that I don't own..

Gentlemen, there is a learning curve and yes some triggers need work, but DAM… I love them.. I love the look, the balance, the none existing kick, the accuracy, the ease to operate, etc, etc.. I have been very impressed with them so far and for what it worth.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    ive never seen them that low.. lowest i saw was 1200 for a new one... id definatly be interested in an aug at that price.. now who wants to buy an unfired AR15.. lol

Tanner's Sport Center. Ask for Ray Jr. Stock # 200-1R-RH-16 - $950.00 He will do a 60 day layaway with $250.00 down. Check on the mag quantity...last I knew, they were all coming with 5 mags.

Tanner's Sport Center

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    We ordered a couple of the Microtechs in but the mags were not all 30's they came with 2 30's 2 20's and 2 10's and I the distributor didnt even know this.
    the 950 STG are way under dealer cost and a screaming good deal in my opinion you cannot go wrong with them.
    I enjoyed mine bigtime and as I stated have another on the way again since the one I ordered for myself sold before I could get it home.

Top Bottom