• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    So I went to Midway USA to order another mag last week, I'm taking a ACT class this coming weekend, first class I've had unless you count Boy Scouts. Anyways Got my 30 dollar mag and picked up a couple impulse items:

622290 1 $109.99 Lee 4 Hole Turret Press with Aut...
    342056 3 $19.79 Hornady XTP Bullets 45 Caliber (...
    242098 1 $36.99 Lee Deluxe Carbide 4-Die Set 45 ACP
    181481 1 $29.99 Ruger Magazine Ruger P90, P97 45...
    548630 1 $20.99 Lee Safety Prime Small and Large...
    484416 1 $13.99 Lee "Modern Reloading 2nd Editio...
    292460 1 $12.99 Lee 4 Hole, Classic 4 Hole Turre...
    114080 1 $7.19 Lee Auto-Disk Powder Measure Riser
    482784 2 $3.43 MTM Flip-Top Ammo Box 40 S&W, 10...
    467641 1 $2.49 Lee Primer Feed Bracket for Turr...
    989465 1 $0.00 MidwayUSA Master Catalog #33

I did use a 30 dollar off a 300+ order and brought the total after shipping down to 290 - so arguably the only non-impulse buy was free. I assume I didn't get the best prices,but spent an hour looking around at reviews to see what else I would need. The turret press was the kit and comes with Turret Press with Auto Index, Auto Disk Powder Measure, Safety Scale, Primer Pocket Cleaner, Cutter and Lock Stud and Chamfer Tool.

So it is my understanding that all I need is primers, powder and either a tumbler or ultrasonic cleaner as I've been saving reloadable brass. Now that I'm looking at this, it seems I need a deprimer tool as well, one of the dies looks like it does that, but reading the description again I don't see it say that. I placed the order really late and I was tired.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    Ah, I've lost fortunes to impulse purchases! They're such a beautiful thing!

Welcome to the world of reloading where the possibilities are endless! (quite literally). Yes, you'll need LARGE pistol primers, a powder of your choice (do some research here first). If you're doing mostly pistol, you probably won't use the trim tools much. I never trim my pistol brass, but I almost trim all of my rifle brass. Your die set should most definiltey include a deprimer. It'll be your first stage, the "Size and deprime" stage. Not sure what it would actually say on the side of your die.

You'll need the tumbler with your choice of either walnut media or corn cob. You'll hear mixed reviews and opinions of both.

One other thing I would recommend is a Lee Auto-Prime. Very handy for a primer that needs to be reseated in a finished round or one that's just stubborn.

bod

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    My wife hides my credit card now when she sees me on midway's site :D. I use the same dies as you have and it is the first step that deprimes your brass. I would recommend getting a tumbler that comes with a sifter and some media/polish. I purchased the Frankfort Arsenal tumbler kit (part #414369) from midwayusa and I love it. It comes with everything that you need to get started tumbling.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    Right on for the replies. I was thinking I had something to deprime with, but going back through the list I didn't see anything listed. Been looking at reloading gear casually for a while, or at least toying with the idea so it was bound to happen sooner or later. Any recommendations on where I may find the best prices on powder primers locally? I'd like to avoid the hazmat fees. I'm assuming Gander sells them, but haven't gone looking yet. Will check out some of the local gunshops and spend my money there if they do.

Also, welcome to INGO Bod, I think you'll like the forums. There's a wide variety of info to be found here.

Last edited:

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    Congratulations and welcome to the wonderful world of reloading. I pick up most of my reloading stuff over at The Outdoorsman, in Greenwood. They have a fair price on stuff, I didnt say cheap they pass on the haz mat fee I'm sure.

Top Bottom