• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    I wonder about this every time I see one of these stories in civilization.

I used to live in Puerto Rico and there were always reports of people being lost for days in the rain forest. The ENTIRE island is only 35 miles across. and the rain forest is a small part of that area in the middle of the island??

Seems like if you just picked any direction and walked for a day or two, you couldn't help but come across a house or a road in Indiana?

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I would bet 75% or more of the US population wouldn't know how to use a compass if they had one.

I bet you're right.

And I'm never lost, I just might not know my exact location. :) But, in Indiana, if you just walk straight in one direction you will come to a road/civilization. These ain't the rockies.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    It says they started the hike Monday evening, so I'm guessing they ran out of daylight before they could find their way out. I've gotten "lost" for maybe 1/2 an hour or so, because I was trying to hurry, got caught in rain while mushroom hunting. One of those times I was worried because I couldn't find ex, it was lightning and I was worried he was hurt. So i'm running around in the woods while it's lightning and limbs are falling off trees, meanwhile, he is sitting in the car!
    When we were kids we went hiking with our parents at Tippecanoe state park. Our dad panicked after we got lost for a short while, and started yelling for help. I still remember mom saying, "Jim- will you please stop yelling? We can hear traffic right out there on the highway! We can't be THAT lost!" LOL.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    2 lost hikers found in southern Indiana forest | WISHTV.com

How in the world does anyone get LOST in Indiana? There is no where you can go and not hear a highway.

I disagree, you will not hear a highway or a road at my house. You need to get out more my friend, there are a lot of places in Indiana where you will not hear a vehicle anywhere around. With that said, there is no place in the lower 48 when walking in a straight line that one could not come upon a road.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Lotsa ways really. Even the best get confused, disoriented, and turned around. I remember one time I was in HNF and hiking a trail I had only been on a few times. No map or anything just out for a day hike, apparently I had missed my turn, I ended up coming out 10 miles or so, (by road) from my car. Though I had only hiked about 5 miles. When I got home I google earthed the area, and easily discovered my mistake. Funny thing was, the entire time I was no less than 1/4 mile from the road, I never heard a car.

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    This is funny. That was my friend from high school. She said they were not lost at all. and that everything the media is saying is all over-dramatized and none of it is true at all. They aren't even hikers.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I disagree, you will not hear a highway or a road at my house. You need to get out more my friend, there are a lot of places in Indiana where you will not hear a vehicle anywhere around. With that said, there is no place in the lower 48 when walking in a straight line that one could not come upon a road.

This. Pull up the Deam lake area on Google maps. Plenty of places you could walk in circles for days. That land is nothing but hills and knobs, which makes it even tougher to navigate in a straight line.

jath08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Greencastle, IN
    Its easy to get lost or turned around especially if you are in an unfamiliar area and it all looks the same. Been lost in the woods once and that was at night after I ran out of daylight tracking a buck I arrowed. Got completely turned around because I wasn't paying any attention to my surroundings. I had my nose to the ground too caught up in the excitement of tracking the huge buck and I followed the bloodtrail onto an adjacent property that borders mine that I was unfamiliar with. I didn't have any landmarks like certain trees or fallen timber for navigational markers plus it was so thick everything looked the same not to mention it was pitch black out. Ended up about a mile back in the woods. Scary stuff. Luckily I had good batteries in the ole flashlight and I had my iphone with me which has a true north compass app on it. Didn't find the buck that night but found my way back. I normally always carry a traditional compass in my hunting pack but stupid me decided to leave the pack by my stand instead of taking it with me. I would have been screwed if I didn't have my phone. +1 for technology that night.

Last edited:

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    One time I was out push mowing my back yard, and it got dark on me before I got done. I found myself wandering around in the dark, aimlessly for hours. Luckily I remembered to pack my satellite phone, so I called Jimmy John's for a freaky fast sandwich. When the guy got there he showed me how to get back to my front door and saved me from what was going to be a long and spooky night alone in the wilderness. I'll never leave my survival gear in the mini barn again.

adws943

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Spatial disorientation. It is easy to get confused if you lose your bearing. I was fishing on Brookville Lake one foggy morning. I swore I was heading due west but I ended up on the eastern shore. I had made a big left turn but I thought I was traveling in a straight line. I thought I do not need the GPS this lake is only 1/2 mile wide. The problem in the woods is walking in a constant direction.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Also, if there is an elevated area, get to the top of it and look around for landmarks you can walk to. That's what Bear Grylls says. And enjoy those "blue-breeze".

Top Bottom