How confident are you in your carry gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I trust all the various firearms that i have. Never really had any problems with any of them, but I know how to clear jams quickly as well. I will be carrying shortly, and I already have picked out a couple that I will be carrying.

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    more recently porter county had a bunch of officers trade in their back up glocks due to a little issue with them braking/ jamming in the wrong situations. I guess an officer had the gun jam and hit the perp with the glock and shattered the frame.. oops..

Wait, you're saying that the officer's Glock jammed, so he hit someone with it hard enough to shatter the frame of the gun? How strong was the cop? And what happened to the person he hit? I'm thinking that there's a touch of exaggeration with this story.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Nothing is 100% reliable or guaranteed, but I do have a high level of confidence in the weapons I've chosen. But not so high that I don't train for failure.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Ruger 3inch SP101 flavored with good old Federal 125gr hps. Goes bang everytime, puts hole right where I point it. I practice with it a lot and while it is not some large capacity wondernine, newflavorfourty or big old 45, I have confidence in it and me with it.

Two speed strips, one with the same and I just changed out the other to hold 158gr metal piercing 357's. My good old Dad had a box of those nasty little suckers, probably from the 1970's squirreled back. I shot one, man it is a handful! That damn Colorado shooting with the nutcase in armor has got me shook up a little becasue my kiddos and I go to lots of shows, concerts, plays, ect...

Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Very very confident. I carry an XD, and I've seen videos on teh internets of people dunking it in mud and firing of a whole magazine. I take care of my toys (read: weapons) so I believe it would fire as much as I need it to, when I need it to.

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    99.999% with my Walther PPS. I have had 0 gun-related failures (new reloader here) in almost 1000 rounds, and it is more accurate and consistent than I am.

I'm more confident in it than I am in my ability to use it properly if SHTF.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Lets see here. If I read it right, the majority of posters are confident in their gun. Be it for reported high reliability or because it was the purchase they made, thus it must be the best. It is believed that their gun will work, no matter what, to solve any self defense problem.

Worded differently, how many people are less than completely confident with their carry gun? I notice a few folks with a backup plan, but not many.

Because you have smoke detectors and fire extinguishers, do you ignore an escape plan assuming those will completely solve your problem?

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    My definition of "Carry Gun" requires 100% expected reliability.

It does not get the title of Carry Gun until 200 rounds + multiple mags of carry ammo used is through without a flaw.

Packing Heat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2008
    NWI
    Confident enough but Murphy's Law will challenge the infalibility of the Glock when least expected and Vegas will give you odds on the sun rising tomorrow. The better question already asked is about Plan B...

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Lets see here. If I read it right, the majority of posters are confident in their gun. Be it for reported high reliability or because it was the purchase they made, thus it must be the best. It is believed that their gun will work, no matter what, to solve any self defense problem.

Worded differently, how many people are less than completely confident with their carry gun? I notice a few folks with a backup plan, but not many.

Because you have smoke detectors and fire extinguishers, do you ignore an escape plan assuming those will completely solve your problem?
    If you have smoke detectors, fire extinguishers and an escape plan, do you run extension cords under the rugs and empty ashtrays into the trash cans without checking to see if they're hot?

The carry gun IS the backup plan. The brain is the first line of defense.
    Situational awareness, avoidance, and de-escalation are the plan.
    The carry gun is deployed after all else has failed and is used to provide an avenue of escape or threat neutralization as necessary.
    It is used only "in the gravest extreme."

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    If you have smoke detectors, fire extinguishers and an escape plan, do you run extension cords under the rugs and empty ashtrays into the trash cans without checking to see if they're hot?

The carry gun IS the backup plan. The brain is the first line of defense.
    Situational awareness, avoidance, and de-escalation are the plan.
    The carry gun is deployed after all else has failed and is used to provide an avenue of escape or threat neutralization as necessary.
    It is used only "in the gravest extreme."

Well said Doug.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    If one takes care of their gear, it should work all of the time. Of course, that may imply that the owner has fired the weapon enough with the choice of carry ammo to ensure reliable operation.

A reliability rate of 999/1000 is not unreasonable. It SHOULD work every time one pulls the trigger.

GlockZ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Glocks go bang no matter what. They are the AK of the handgun world. What people should be more concerned about is training. Training in such a way that you become 100% reliable.

Top Bottom