• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    It's so cold that my home's refrigerant lines are sweating along all 40 feet from wall to the furnace. I was painting a door in the basement when I got hit with enough water from above that I thought a pipe had cracked.

Apparently the temperature difference causes refrigerant to flow in the lines even without the compressor running.

Anyone else seeing weird stuff happening from the cold?

fri9.jpg

Last edited:

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    My lawnmower wouldn't run right. Trying to pick up leaves and had to keep working with the choke. Of course it is old and falling apart but never had one bit of trouble with it running.

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    I know it's been cold because my office (where I am right now) usually runs hot because of the computers, but even they aren't warming the room up any. The wind isn't helping any.

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    Not cold at my house... nothing like a toasty wood-stove to keep things warm... we usually keep the house around 75 in the winter...
    I've seen these smaller style wood stoves, and I keep wondering about the benefits of them. I know the venting can be done in a way that plays well with my kind of house's construction, I just wonder if it's worth it.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Cold enough that I finally fixed the remote start for my Jeep... Been needing to program the remote since I did the engine swap last year, finally did it last night.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I've seen these smaller style wood stoves, and I keep wondering about the benefits of them. I know the venting can be done in a way that plays well with my kind of house's construction, I just wonder if it's worth it.

IMHO YES... I got my stove in 2010 when the energy tax credit for high-efficiency, low-emissions wood burning appliances was still 30%. At the time I don't know that I would have gotten it if there was no tax credit. Looking back I can say without a doubt it was worth it and it would have been worth it even if there was no tax credit. I had roughly $5k in my entire setup including the expensive Class A stainless chimney. I paid the investment off mid-way through my second winter ('11-'12) and it has been pure money-savings since then.

Wood consumption is very good with these new, high-efficiency stoves/fireplaces. I've burned about 10 full cords of wood in the 3 1/2 seasons I've heated with wood and I have a quite large house and don't use any electric heat. My wife loves the wood heat, my dogs will lay in front of it all day long because they love the feel but they will pant the whole time because they are hot :) There is just something to be said for the warming effect of a hot wood-burner going in the corner... the radiant heat is wonderful...

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton

I purchased a wood pellet stove about six years ago. Best investment I have made in a long time. They require a little upkeep but not bad. My propane furnace has not fired up once so far this season.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    20130813_173241_zps9593d949.jpg

We have a fireplace insert with a blower in our house and it is great. Kept the house (1900 sq ft) at 74 degrees all day yesterday with no help from the furnace. It is nice to have for sure. The only thing I dont like about it is its installed in the "extra" room on the end of the house and aiming at an exterior wall. I just use a box fan to push the air into the living room and it seems to work just fine. Of course, I guess its a positive that its in my man"cave"

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    I walked outside this morning to have a smoke, and the coffee in my cup froze, but the cup was still warm.

It's colder than a well-digger's butt in July.

It's so cold I saw a pickpocket with his hands in his OWN pockets!

Okay, I'm done...

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I was delivering at a station last night. When I was done, I had to walk through the beverage cooler to get my closing numbers. The cooler felt really warm. I thought maybe it was broke. On the way out, I glanced at the thermostat. 37º. 20º warmer than outside!

Top Bottom