• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    How big of an outboard would be needed for a 20 foot, 760lb jon boat? I wouldn't be looking for speed, just enough to get around with. A boat like that is usually rated for 60+ horsepower, but would 20 be enough?

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    A 20 HP even pitched way down may not get it to plane out. Especially by the time you ad gear and beer.
    If you already have the 20, you may give it a try with like a 10 pitch.

thecanuck

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I'd say a 40-50 at least... I had a 16' Jon that I used as a duck boat and it had a 20 when I first got it and with gear, guys, dog and everything it struggled to get on plane. Depending on where you're going that might struggle in any fast current...

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    It varies a bit with the hull design (and how motor hp is measured), but somewhere around 70 lb. of 'boat' / hp of motor should, on average, get you up on a plane (this 'boat' is all up loaded weight including, boat, motor, people, equipment, etc.). More hp than that makes you go faster. Less hp and you may be tooling around at hull speed.

Therefore, if your total, all up weight is 760, and the boat is flat bottomed and hard chined, a 20 hp motor should get you up on a plane as that would be only 30 lb. of rig/hp (well under 70). But, things tend to weigh more than people think, or they add stuff as they go along, and a few hundred pounds later things may not work so well.

I understand wanting a smaller motor for expense and fuel economy reasons.

I'd suggest taking your rig to a truck scale and actually weighing it (subtracting the weight of your tow vehicle and trailer of course). Should be able to find a scale if you look around at the truck stops and/or farm co-ops. You might be surprised how much the boat and associated stuff (don't forget to account for passengers) actually weighs.

OutaAmmo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2010
    boat motor

I have a 75 Yamaha 4 stroke on my bowfishing 20 ft flat bottom plate boat. Had a 40 Yamaha on it and it wasn't enough hp. It will run about 28 mph and I get 5 miles to the gallon. I have seen similar boats with uo to 200 hp motors for those that like to fast. Get the biggest you can aford, you won't be sorry.

hickuleas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    deep in the woods
    Jon Boats

Are you mainly running rivers if so going against to current makes a difference. You want enough power to get you out of a bad situation. I run a 16' jon with a mercury 90 hp which is 65 jet hp and that isn't enough for me. If you will be in shallows take a look at jet motors. Go to a boat dealership they could probably help. Get the rated horse power for boat or you will regret it.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    75% of Maximum hull rated HP for bare minimum performance. If you go less than that you may not get the boat to plane and you'll be guzzling gas, throwing major wakes, and generally not having any fun.

Top Bottom