How backed up are distributors? Shipping?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Hey INGO,

Ordered a new rifle(bolt action hunting rifle) on Dec. 19th and my dealer still hasnt called me.

I called him twice and he said that its paid for and they(distributors) where running 8-10 days behind on shipping.

Im pushing a month here waiting for my new rifle that I have PAID FOR IN FULL.

Should I start to be more agitated or just give it some more time?..are Distributors still this backed up?
    How long has everyone else been waiting?

God bless
    -Shred

IndianaRob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Ft. Wayne
    I would say to be patient , there are alot of suppliers that are really overwhelmed right now. I have the same deal going on with some ammo, its not easy but it doen't help anyone to get upset.

Dirtball

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    I ordered a 930 SPX from KGI on the 6th and still haven't heard a word. I went my local regular dealer today who has always came through and nothing. I was told Sig is on back order until 2014. On a side but related note, I ordered 6 AK mags from AMMOTOGO the day of the shooting I knew the world was about to go ape scat. They showed up last night, no email, no tracking number hell I thought they cancelled the order and pulled a CTD and jacked up the price, nope just swamped

TWS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Ferdinand
    My backorders are getting backoedered, I ordered mags the day after, they were already backordered 3 mos. Now they pushed em back another 4.

solution_zero

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indy
    8-10 days behind on shipping is better than average right now. Most online retailers are saying 15-25 days. Some AR15 manufacturers are over 1 year on backorders.

Khazik

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    You know, for the ammo manufacturers, it'd be pretty damn nice if they put the governments some-odd billions of rounds ordered on hold to ship the civilian ammo out as priority. That'd be beyond badass.

Oh how I dream of a country where the people's needs are put before the gov't.

It's in these times I wish I was an ammo supplier because that's exactly what I'd do; or if I were a large chain of stores that sells firearms and congressmen state “If Congress passes measures to reduce availability of these weapons, those efforts could be undermined by the purchase of thousands of weapons before then,” me: "good, I'll order more and put the ones I have on sale.."

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Stag Arms has a note on their website that they are TWO YEARS back logged and will not be accepting any new orders. One of my reloading suppliers is not even answering the phone. The auto attendent says to send them an email and they will try to get back to you when they can. Two firearms distributers are pretty much out of firearms, and cannot even ship what they have for a while. It is a mess out there.

With "lean manufacturing" and "Just-in-time" distribution, it is not like there are huge stacks for guns just waiting to be shipped. Things will be backlogged for a long time.

SecondhandSnake

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    I ordered my PSA upper in October, took almost 2 months to receive it.

Ordered a DPMS lower after the panic, order got canceled after a couple weeks, they told me they were almost a year backlogged.

JAFO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 16, 2012
    CDNN was 14 days for shipping accessories as of yesterday... I'm sure everyone is running b@lls to the wall.

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My main distributor is running almost 2 weeks behind. Stuff is still coming though...slowly. AR stuff seems to be non-existant. AK stuff seems to be coming in steadily, for me at least. Most distributors are out of anything semi auto or HD pump shotguns.

45acp223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    SE IN.
    I feel lucky, I ordered my bolt action on Dec. 21st. and I received it last Thursday. So three week from Buds, who is extremely backlogged is pretty darn good and the shipped price could not be beat. They claim they are taking 1500 on-line orders each day, so yes I'm sure everyone is backlogged. A local dealer showed me the distributors website they order from, he carries 3500 different firearms, then he hit the in stock button, and they only had 35 various crappy firearms that no one wants. Basically, he was totally out of stock. They told me it would probably be summer before things got back to normal, including ammo and pricing.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Should I start to be more agitated

I think you're already too agitated. Your gun has been ordered and the inventory has been allocated. You're going to get it, so just be patient.

or just give it some more time?..are Distributors still this backed up?

Our best distributors, which normally deliver in 2-3 business days, are currently running 7-10 days behind in getting orders out. The guns we got in today were ordered on January 4. They are working evenings and weekends in an attempt to alleviate some of the backlog, but really can't get in front of it because more and larger orders just keep coming in. One of my distributors told me their inventory system only allowed them to process $30 million per day, and it was being maxed out. :eek:

Some of the smaller distributors we use have been shipping faster, but have almost nothing on-hand.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    shooter, what does the Bradis inventory look like right now? You posted a picture a few weeks ago but haven't seen anything since.

The emptiness has spread to the rest of the shop. Pretty much all the handguns now fit on just the top shelf of each case (where previously, most cases had 3 shelves full, with some shelves double-stacked). No Glocks, no ARs, no 10/22s. Very few revolvers. Bolt and lever guns are going out as fast as we get them in. No .223, 7.62x39, 9mm, .45ACP or .22LR ammo at all.

To give you an idea of how bad it is, we received ~$35K worth of shipping on Friday morning (about twice what a "big shipping day" would normally be). We had sold almost twice that much by the end of the day on Saturday. :eek: And anything we order today, even if it is in-stock with our distributors, won't show up for 8-10 days. Now you can see why it's pretty much impossible to make any progress on getting re-stocked, as long as demand is as high and supply is as low/slow as it currently is.

The sales are great, but the day-in/day-out craziness starts to wear on you after awhile, and trying to keep inventory coming in is a real chore. The word "unsustainable" comes to mind; sooner or later, something's gotta give.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I'm curious as to how the supply chain will survive after the bubble bursts. It would be nice to know that this craziness is generating some employment, but once this thing implodes and manufacturer and distributor sales fall off, I'm sure those gains will be lost, and maybe more.

BGSguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    I don't deal with the shipping or logistical side at Buds, but I do have access to critical reports and every single day, I shed an extra bead of sweat, if you know what I mean. Being uniquely and intimately involved with this company, it's easy for me to think we're doing something wrong in light of overwhelming recent demand, but at SHOT Show our Hornady rep informed us that they are running 24/7 and are STILL backlogged through 2015. I literally laughed out loud, it made our congestion issues seem pedestrian.

shooter521 hit the nail on the head: demand spikes, retail orders spike exponentially, distributor orders spike even more exponentially, manufacturing backs up, distributor orders back up exponentially, retail orders back up even more exponentially, customers are left hanging. Hiring extra hands doesn't help if the inventory hasn't been shipped from manufacturer to distributor to retailer. Manufacturers don't necessarily have an incentive to expand since downsizing will be inevitable once the "bubble" does burst (assuming it does), everyone has an obligatory responsibility to look out for their best interest, end consumer included first and foremost. I don't think anything will happen to supply chains since a particular business' decision makers are tasked with ensuring nothing does, or else they go out of business, but I bet everyone will be on their toes in the future years.

And ironically, I feel like we've been saying that exact same thing every year now...

djenks11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    I would say to be patient, most places i have been to or talked to are sying if i ordered today it would be at least mid FEB.

Top Bottom