• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Most burglars prefer the unoccupied house. An alarm won't keep them out, but it'll mean the difference between a smash-n-grab and a thorough ransacking. Dogs are great if they are actually displaying aggression. Lots of burglars today aren't afraid of just noise maker dogs.

Don't advertise. If you buy a big screen tv or the like, don't just put the box out on the curb. Either cut it up and put it in a trash bag or take it to the recycle. Don't let your buddy's questionable buddies come for a visit. Don't tell the world you're away from home for an extended period of time.

Remember that no precaution is fool proof, and if someone is dedicated enough they CAN make entry and grab some goodies. Take the time to write down your serial numbers on your electronics, guns, tools, etc. Take photos of your jewelry. People complain the police don't do much, but how much have you done to help us help you? If no witnesses, no prints/DNA, and you don't have any serial numbers or way to help me track your stolen property, exactly what are you expecting me to do? I e-mailed myself my serial numbers so I can access them from anywhere and from any computer.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Most burglars prefer the unoccupied house. An alarm won't keep them out, but it'll mean the difference between a smash-n-grab and a thorough ransacking. Dogs are great if they are actually displaying aggression. Lots of burglars today aren't afraid of just noise maker dogs.

Don't advertise. If you buy a big screen tv or the like, don't just put the box out on the curb. Either cut it up and put it in a trash bag or take it to the recycle. Don't let your buddy's questionable buddies come for a visit. Don't tell the world you're away from home for an extended period of time.

Remember that no precaution is fool proof, and if someone is dedicated enough they CAN make entry and grab some goodies. Take the time to write down your serial numbers on your electronics, guns, tools, etc. Take photos of your jewelry. People complain the police don't do much, but how much have you done to help us help you? If no witnesses, no prints/DNA, and you don't have any serial numbers or way to help me track your stolen property, exactly what are you expecting me to do? I e-mailed myself my serial numbers so I can access them from anywhere and from any computer.

:rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:

seamusalaska

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    East Central IN
    There's another way to "don't advertise" (kudos to looney2ns).
    My mother was going out of town on a vacation and stopped by the Sheriff's office to say 'good-bye' (they were friends). He wished her well and two days later her house was robbed. It seemed a couple of the county jailbirds overheard her travel plans, too. They robbed the house on the same day they were released. I suppose it's another example of 'situational awareness' gone wrong. Damn thief's. They were later caught, but most of her stuff (silver tea pot from Ireland , stuff that meant a lot to her was long gone).

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    It's real obvious when most of my neighbors are gone for the day, or out for the evening. We've got a big dog, multiple vehicles, and a next-door neighbor that's a recently retired army warrior. (101st Airborne). Look out BG!

Maybe they'll choose another house, instead of stepping on our trap, or our moat! :D
    Smile for the camera, perp...

0750turbo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    Pittsboro
    The one that always gets me are the families that post on Facebook that they are heading out on vacation. Also guys that have a spouse and/or child at home and post when they are gone on business or travel. If your Facebook page is set on public, anyone can see it.

JustinCase

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Greenwood
    The one that always gets me are the families that post on Facebook that they are heading out on vacation. Also guys that have a spouse and/or child at home and post when they are gone on business or travel. If your Facebook page is set on public, anyone can see it.

I never could understand the need to tell everyone your business on Facebook - TMI in my opinion.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    Not to pick nits so to speak, but...

When a nefarious felon breaks into an unoccupied home, that is a "burglary."

When that same felon breaks into an occupied home and demands money and commits mayhem to get it, that's called "robbery", also possibly "criminal confinement" if someone is tied up, in addition to the burglary.

Robbery implies the threat of force or demonstrative force against another person...burglary implies that an unoccupied home was entered and a felony committed therein.

Just for edification.

Top Bottom