• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • downlinx

Expert
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Lafayette, IN
    House bill would grant universal concealed carry reciprocity in all 50 states
    A bill currently in the U.S. House of Representatives would do away with the patchwork of state reciprocity laws and establish a uniform right to carry concealed firearms across all fifty states.

This bill, the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2013, was introduced last August and would treat concealed carry permits like driver’s licenses, allowing current permit holders to carry in any other state that issues permits.

“If I have a driver’s license issued by the state of Florida and I drive all the way across the country to California, my driver’s license is valid the entire way. Even though the requirements for obtaining a driver’s license may vary from state to state, we have a system that recognizes the need for reciprocity,” explained Rep. Richard Nugent, (R-FL), sponsor of the bill.

“Currently, that sort of reciprocity does not extend to concealed carry licenses for firearms.”

Nugent’s bill, detailed as HR2959, would allow the holder of a valid concealed carry permit to carry a concealed handgun in any state that issues its own residents permits. Persons carrying as a non-resident in a state would be bound by whatever laws of the state they are visiting. This would end the confusing patchwork of reciprocity agreements that are currently in place across the country.

Some states, like Utah, have very flexible reciprocity, recognizing concealed carry permits from as many as 35 states. While others, such as Illinois, recognizes none but their own. Under the Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act, this would change.

A companion bill, S.1908, has been introduced into the Senate by Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX). Both bills have been greeted with opposition from gun control advocacy groups.

“Sen. Cornyn’s bill dangerously introduces a lowest common denominator when it comes to who can carry a concealed weapon,” said Erika Soto Lamb, spokeswoman for Mayors Against Illegal Guns. “Each state sets its own standards and this legislation would undermine those laws.”

This is not the first time national right-to-carry reciprocity was tried. In 2011, HR822 was introduced to the house by Rep. Clif Stearns (R-FL), it had much the same wording as the current HR2959. That bill passed the House with a wide measure of support on a 272-174 vote but was killed in the Senate.

In 2004, the The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA), was signed into law which allows current and qualified retired police officers to carry a concealed firearm in any jurisdiction in the United States, regardless of state laws, with certain exceptions.

HR2959 is currently in the Crime, Terrorism, Homeland Security, and Investigations subcommittee of the House Judiciary Committee. The bill has some 121 co-sponsors, including six House Democrats.

“The previous version of this legislation passed by an overwhelming bipartisan majority in 2011 and I look forward to seeing it pass again during this Congress,” said Nugent.
    Dont know if this is a dupe, i couldn't find anything.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    As long as we have liberals in control of the white house, senate, or house there is no way they will lay down their "arms" in their all out "war on freedom" and allow anything like this to pass.

Hopefully someday though.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    As long as we have liberals in control of the white house, senate, or house there is no way they will lay down their "arms" in their all out "war on freedom" and allow anything like this to pass.

Hopefully someday though.

last time in the house it actually got quite a few D votes. I'm sure some dems in the senate will vote for it if it ever came to the floor. Doubt Obama would sign it however, and I don't think there are enough votes to override a veto.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    How 'bout a simple law that prohibits infringement upon our right to bear arms?

Heck, if something like that existed we wouldn't need a bill to regulate the acceptance of variously administered permission slips, would we?

No thanks.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I wish there was some sort of amendment to the constitution that made it clear that we had the right to be armed. Wouldn't that be nice?

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    last time in the house it actually got quite a few D votes. I'm sure some dems in the senate will vote for it if it ever came to the floor. Doubt Obama would sign it however, and I don't think there are enough votes to override a veto.

Yea, there are still some level headed liberals/democrats who still believe in preserving freedom in our country. Obama, of course, is defiantly not one of them and you are right that with him in office there is no way he would sign such a bill. There is also no way we would get enough democrats on board to ever override a veto.

I do believe though we will get national reciprocity or better national constitutional carry someday.

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    A federal level concealed carry permit, which specifies the bearer shall carry concealed according to the prevailing law in the jurisdiction they are currently in, would be something that would have a far better chance of passing both houses of Congress, IMO.

The Drifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Cedar Lake
    ^Why would I want a federal permit that makes me carry concealed?

I agree, another way to find out who has guns and where they live . The second amendment just needs to be in forced . In reality this is all BS . No gun restrictions , none like it was meant to be . These libs don,t like it deport them.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I believe the differing state firearm laws would be more confusing than the patchwork of reciprocity. Imagine crossing a state/county line and having to follow vastly different driving laws.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I believe the differing state firearm laws would be more confusing than the patchwork of reciprocity. Imagine crossing a state/county line and having to follow vastly different driving laws.

You mean like whether or not you can turn right on red? or for that matter, left on red, but only from a one way to a one way, or maybe only onto a one-way, what street you're on being immaterial. Or whether parallel parking is allowed? Or parking on the street? Or what the speed limit is when there's no sign?

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm sure glad we don't have to do that now.

The simple fact is that there WILL be differences from place to place, whether in driving laws or carry laws or what-have-you. Some places now forbid carry in a theater, or a bank, or at any public gathering, or restaurants that make more than 50% of their income from the sale of alcohol-containing beverages. Other places say, essentially, "Pay an exorbitant sum for this piece of paper, and you can carry most places, with a few exceptions. That's the essence of the "50 laboratories of 'democracy'" idea (and yes, I know we don't live in a democracy, and may that ever be true.)

I'd like to see 50-state reciprocity. I do NOT want to see it at the behest or requirement of the fedgov. Far too many strings attached to that "gift".... Kinda reminds me of the Trojan Horse.

Blessings,
    Bill

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    A federal level concealed carry permit, which specifies the bearer shall carry concealed according to the prevailing law in the jurisdiction they are currently in, would be something that would have a far better chance of passing both houses of Congress, IMO.

And you would have a Federal database of all of the gun owners in the country. NO. And HELL NO!!! Constitutional Carry is the only way to go. Or the universal reciprocity route. But never a Federally issued carry permit. NOT EVER.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    You mean like whether or not you can turn right on red? or for that matter, left on red, but only from a one way to a one way, or maybe only onto a one-way, what street you're on being immaterial. Or whether parallel parking is allowed? Or parking on the street? Or what the speed limit is when there's no sign?...

I did consider this prior to posting. For me, the difference is the penalty for a driving infraction vs breaking a firearm law. Also, the driving laws are more universal, coast to coast, than gunlaws.

Top Bottom